Is the Borg "really" guilty in the Candace Conti case ???

by RubaDub 102 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I skimmed all of the responses, and imo, 00Dad had the right answer to your question. And the answer is: Do not confuse sin with crime. As in the situation with Candance Conti, her molester was already a convicted sex offender. When he moved to the North Fremont congregation, the elders were informed of this. Even if they didn't want to announce it, they could've made damn sure that he didn't have any contact with kids in the congregation or the door to door ministry by prohibiting him from the meetings and field service.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

they are guilty of what they are charged with, the issue is not what the JWs are trying to make it. they are not being punished for merely having a abuser in their midst but for not reporting a crime to the authorities that they arej obligated to report as mandated reporters of child abuse. There doing so was obvious to put other children at risk. That is the malice and the crime.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Why CANT churches simply refuse entrance to regular services or meetings to sex offenders? No announcements would need to be made, but they would be clearly out of the loop.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

The governing body is devoid of common sense.

When I was a kid in the 60s I heard juicy talks after every disfellowshipping for adultry. Even where the couple met etc. While in high school I got dressed down in front of the entire cong. for taking my girlfriends bra off No wonder some embarrased people sued. Some had serious issues with a doctrine, were disfellowshiped for apostacy, and then were lambasted off the platform for 15 minutes as sick apostates- I would sue too.

But a convicted criminal, a child molester, a rapist? It is public record. Do you need to give a 15 minute talk about the person ..no..how about a descreet 2 minute call to each family head?

When your home is on fire, you call 911, not the elders. The governing body needs to learn that when a crime has been commited to call 911 not the elders.

• purplesofa
  • sammielee24
    sammielee24

Could someone tell me if the two witness rule had any impact in this case?

I have not read all her story, but I am wondering if she went up before the Elders with the accusation and was ignored because there were not 2 witnesses.

To answer the heading on the post - of course the Borg is guilty if they knew he was pedophile, if Candace had gone before them with the accusation and was ignored because she was a child and no witnesses were found and if the family were manipulated or coerced in any way to 'wait on Jehovah' for things to get right.

Apparently her father was an Elder - what did he do when he knew his daughter was molested? sammies

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

This has probably been the single most thought provoking thread I've read in a long time. So many valid, perceptive views and personal experiences that get to some of the root causes.

Proposed new policy (draft) not really in Watchtower speak or with any legal background.

Letter to be read to every congregation and re-read on an annual basis. As this is new policy Elders should contact each member of the congregation who attends at least some meetings each year to ensure they are aware of this. A register must be signed by every member to say they have seen and understood the new policy.

1) Any cases of child abuse should be reported immediately and directly to the proper authorities (i.e. police or social services). This applies to new cases or any previously unreported cases.

2) Local elders may be informed if you have permission from the investigating authorities for practical reasons only such as arranging transportation to meetings.

3) Should any elder be informed of any child abuse where the proper authorities have not yet been advised such as during a confession, they should strongly recommend the proper authorities (i.e. police) are told immediately. The elder/s should also contact the police to ensure a report has been made and if not then file one.

4) Elders are not qualified to investigate claims of child abuse, provide judgement on claims, offer professional counselling, legal advice, financial advise, medical advise or dispense drugs to victims.

5) As part of an initial exercise to ensure the congregations are clean, any current members of the congregation will be asked to sign a disclosure that they have never been convicted of child abuse. As a precaution the child offenders register will be checked for all current members and thereafter any new members should be checked.

6) Anyone with a conviction for child abuse at any time in the past will not be allowed to serve in any position of responsibility or will be removed from a position of responsibility immediately. They will be asked to comply with a voluntary request to never attend meetings. Instead they can dial in using a conference call to listen to meetings and receive all the literature but just not associate in any way (either in person, via telephone or internet with any members) or undertake any form of preaching. If they exercise their rights of freedom and do attend, then an elder should sit on either side of the offender and they should remain with the offender at all times until they leave the premises.

7) Anyone being investigated for abuse will be asked not to attend meetings until the charges are dropped.

8) Anyone who has confessed to being guilty of child abuse but for some reason charges were dropped by the authorities (i.e. due to technicality or victims could not be located) should be treated as one convicted.

9) The offenders register will be checked regularly to ensure that no offenders live in the area. If they do then the congregation will be made aware of these so they can take measures not to call on them and be aware if they are approched by an offender in a nearby street. No minors should be allowed on the door-to door ministry without being accompanied at all times by a responsible adult.

10) The WBTS does not guarantee that the congregations will be free of child abuse but will work with the elders and local authorities to ensure any known offenders will be clearly watched at any meeting and the congregation will be made aware of any conviction with a simple announcement.

11) The WBTS apologies unreservedly to victims of abuse within the congragtions or where the offender was associated with the congregation as a result of our policies or actions by elders. Any shunning that has taken place as a result of this will be immediately removed and please contact us directly for compensation related to the abuse and possible shunning.

12) This policy and any updates will be printed in the magazines on an annual basis and available under heading "policies" on the website.

just my thoughts

mmxiv

• undercover
    undercover

I read Rub's first post but only skimmed the rest...

I agree with the sentiment of making distinction between sin and crime. Someone commits adultery or fornication and is reproved or DFd. No need to announce the sin. It'll get around on its own anyway. Some sins are not crimes and the sin is between the individual and their god. Crime is against your fellow man. So if a crime is committed, then we, the fellow man, have a right to know what this person has done in our community.

And if the crime/sin is a predatory crime like child abuse, it is the responsibility of everyone in the congregation, and especially the elders, to alert parents to the fact that their children had been exposed to a predator. And if that person is ever re-instated, then just like in the real world, when a sex offender has to register his address to alert everyone in the area that he is in their midst, then some kind of alert has to be made to the congregation that a predator is in their midst as well.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Yes.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

I can't believe the majority of you are still somehow advocating disfellowshipping.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit