Is the Borg "really" guilty in the Candace Conti case ???

by RubaDub 102 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

There is a big difference between respecting rights and privacy and simply not warning others of danger.

I do believe not every bit of dirty laundry should be aired but when you purposely hold back information that could cause serious harm and then said harm occurs, you my friend are an accomplice, are just as guilty and should be held liable.

When you deeply violate someone else’s rights, privacy and/or life, in my book, you give up the entitlement to your rights, privacy and/or life. With that being said I think a safe environment can be maintained without being disrespectful to victims or being held liable for publicly announcing a perpetrators wrongdoing. How? I’m not sure but that’s what a legal department is for.

• DT
    DT

Does anybody know if they used to announce that someone was disciplined for child abuse? Or did they just say something like fornication? I guess I'm wondering if they always covered up pedophilia or if it only started when they stopped making announcements about the reasons for discipline.

It was a good thing for them to stop making announcements of sins, but it was a mistake to conceal crimes from the police and parents.

• DT
    DT

I think it would be appropriate to not allow known sexual predators into the Kingdom Hall. I don't think the congregation would be under any legal requirement to allow sexual predators access to children. They could still listen in on the telephone. An adult could be assigned to deliver literature to the person.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Rubadub,

All I hear is whatever needs to be done to protect the Society from a Lawsuit.

And all I am concerned about is whatever needs to be done to protect children.

purps

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    I think it would be appropriate to not allow known sexual predators into the Kingdom Hall..... They could still listen in on the telephone. An adult could be assigned to deliver literature to the person.

DT ...

Interesting. This is what I was looking for. I know what we don't like but we just can't throw stones at the Borg without reasonable alternatives.

Rub a Dub

• mind blown
    mind blown

A religion would NEVER not allow a pedo in, after all God forgives all even murders. Nice as it would be, it's not a reality.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

From what I understand the borg has a policy of advising the elders not to report child abuse to the proper authorities or doing anything about it. This placed Candace, and others, at risk for sexual molestation by this pedophile. The borg's policy is against the law and therefore they are held lible for any sexual abuse that took or has taken place. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. What this man did was not only as sin,but a crime. Also, that 2 witness to a crime or sin is stupid. How many pedophiles abuse a child in front of anyone else, unless that other one is also taking part in the abuse. That is a stupid policy. No court or jury is going to go along with that type of reasoning.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

You know, how about the Society listens to the children when they come forward with a problem?

That would be a good start too.

Don't discount the children.

purps

• DT
    DT

I think the biggest problem is that they did nothing, even though they knew Kendrick was dangerous. There were a number of things they could have done without exposing them to other legal problems. If they just did something, I think their liability would have been greatly reduced. They might have even avoided the lawsuit.

"A religion would NEVER not allow a pedo in, after all God forgives all even murders. Nice as it would be, it's not a reality."

That's part of the problem. The truth about pedophiles and the difficulty of reforming them isn't consistent with the way Jehovah's Witnesses and other religious people view the world. They think the Bible can fix these people. If they were to admit that these people will always be dangerous, it would undermine their belief system.

Most religions and pedophiles have something in common. They need external controls to prevent them from harming people. It would be nice if the Watchtower Society would volunteer to keep their children safe, but we know that the threat of serious lawsuits may be the only way to get them to make needed changes.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Guilty of not disclosing the situation to the proper legal authorities, I would say yes and so would many others.

As we all know, the organization mandates to protect the name and sanctity of their organization, first and foremost.

In engaging in this endeavor they've covered over situations of child abuse, with detrimental consequences to a few members of

their organization. Sexual abused toward children is far above any common sin such as fornication or adultery and should

be handled with much greater attention as a dangerous and damaging social behavior.

The WTS. put themselves in a precarious position when they instructed their elders to only contact the legal authorities in cases

of pedophilia, when it was only acquired by the local authorities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit