Is the Borg "really" guilty in the Candace Conti case ???

by RubaDub 102 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jam
    jam

There should be two announcement at the end

of the meetings. 1) We have A pedofiler among us

and there he sat. 2) If it,s your decision to use blood

fraction, you will not be DF. Protect the Flock.

• binadub
    binadub

Rubadub:

My memory serves me differently about announcements in the 1960s. As I remember it--at least in the congregation where I was associated--they did not devulge the reasons why a person was df'd or put on probation. Sometimes the matter was just pretty much known in the congregation because of gossip. As a matter of fact, if a person was put on probation, that did not even have to be announced. The person simply had to report to the CO and Assistant CO something like once a month.

One case I remember specifically was the case of the CO being removed and put on probation. Because people generally assumed 'adultery' when these announcements were made, the replacing CO announcing the action felt obliged to say that it was NOT for adultery, to squelch any rumors, but did not announce the reason for the action. I later found out it was for embezzeling from his employer. He was fired and that is how the matter got to be known.

Regarding the point you asked why the WTS is being held liable in the Conti case: As I understand it--and people can correct me if I'm wrong--it's because the WTS not only admonishes elders to keep such matters confidential from the general congregation when a crime (including child abuse) is reported, but they are instructed to not report it to authorities. We realize WTS will undoubtedly make the case that as elders they have the right and obligation of confidentiality under law the same as lawyers, priests, doctors and psychiatrists. However, I think those proessions are supposed to report crime (correct me if I'm wrong), especially endangerment.

But here's the thing: It has often been reported that abused children and wives--not being elders and therefore not obliged to confidentiality-- have been specifically warned by congregation leaders to NOT report criminal actions such as abuse to the civil authorities. Some victims have said they were threatened with being disfellowshipped if they reported the crimes. If this is true, and if it is the result of the WTS directive, such as in paragraph 14 of the April 2012 confidential BOE letter and in the 1989 BOE letter, then it would seem the plaintiffs have a worthy case against the WTS.

At the very least, if the elders become aware of a crime in their congregations, such as child sexual abuse by a member, they should require the criminal to turn their self in to the authorities in order to demonstrate repentance. If a criminal is not willing to turn their self in, they are not repentant imo.

It would be interesting to know whether the victim and/or her mother in the Conti case were advised to not report the matter to civil authorites.

~Binadub

• bobld
    bobld

R a D Says "I am really torn on this"... because of the numerous lawsuits for slander and libel.

Maybe they (society) should look at their policy of disfellowshipping,breaking up families.They deserve to be suited.

Are you more concern about lawsuits and protecting a corrupt organization than protecting little children.(families)

• binadub
    binadub

Rubadub:

It also occurs to me that they did not have elders in the 1960s, unless it was instituted in the late 60s when I was almost "inactive".
    When did the elder arrangement come in . . . ?

~Binadub

• VIII
    VIII

I have not read any of these responses.

I was 13 when I made friends with a new gal in the cong. Her Mom was a Baptized JW her dad was not interested.

I met my friend at the KH and then at high school and we ended up having sleepovers. I slept over at her home usually. We had less room and my mom was divorced. That was kind of a deal breaker in our cong.

Her dad was a creepy bathroom creeper. He would come in when I showered in the morning and would use he toilet while I was using the shower!!

He would then peek into the shower and ask was in there? He would pull back the curtain while holding his weiner and look me over. He would then lean on the toilet for a minute while I fumbled with the curtain and tried to cover up. I was freaking out! I was a 13 YO girl who was embarrassed to go into the girls locker room in gym class and this creep is looking in on me in the shower. I don't know what he was doing to himself while I tried to cover up, but I can guess.

I told my JW mom who told me to not tell anyone and just be quiet. We needed to encourage Mr. G. to come into the Truth and this might be way.

I ended up going to my friends home two more times and her creepy father did it again. My mother threw me under the bus for the Watchtower.

I confronted her about it recently and she admitted it,yet, wouldn't say it was the wrong thing to do to recruit someone.

This still bothers me 35 years later. I can only guess what he did to his daughter and no one did a thing for her.

The worst part is my Mom's total disconnect and inability to see that allowing your child to be molested for the Watchtower is insane.

God, I hate those people.

• bobld
    bobld

Also does not the wbts say it is a sin if we don't warn someone of danger.(preaching about the end)

Warn people if you know the road is washed away.

The wbts says they keep the cong clean by warning the members of someone that

is DF from the platform.Not talk to him/her.

WHY WHY NOT warn them of a sicko PEDO.

• Razziel
    Razziel

You know how some of these things sometimes used to get "reported to the authorities"? By an elder calling the police department from a pay phone with an anonymous tip containing very few details. They've technically met their obligations and assuaged their consciences, yet ensured authorities have virtually nothing to base an investigation on, if they don't just think it's a prank call. But from the elders POV, they've reported it anonymously and left it in Jehovah's hands to determine whether the authorities pursue it.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Anyway, what should the Society (or any other Organization) do when a known pedofile (or other serious sinner) is in or moves into the congregation ???

1. Report any and all credible instances of child abuse to the proper authorities, without delay, without exception.
    2. Cooperate fully with any investigation that ensues.
    3. Do not allow any suspected abuser access to children, whether in a formal capacity or as a lay member of the group, regardless whether the children are members of the congregation or not (e.g. door-to-door service).
    4. Require background investigations and training for all having contact with children.
  • finally awake
    finally awake

The policy should be that once someone is accused of child abuse or other serious criminal actions, that person loses all privileges until the police complete a proper investigation. The elders and all other dubs should be required to notify and cooperate with the police when such activities are discovered. If the accused is not prosecuted, or is found not guilty, then perhaps - on a case by case basis (not automatic) - the person could regain privileges. If the person is found guilty, it's public record. Local needs parts should address the fact that everyone should check the local sex offender registry on occasion. A person found guilty of a real sex crime involving a minor should never be allowed any sort of privilege again, and should probably not be allowed free access to the Kingdom Hall. If that person is allowed to attend meetings, a responsible brother should be assigned to monitor his/her activities. That level of restriction would also need to include an announcement that the person was "on reproof" indefinitely, or that the person is disfellowshipped. That should be enough to ensure that no one has the mistaken idea that this person should be trusted.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Vill that is just horrible I am so sorry for you.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit