Is the Borg "really" guilty in the Candace Conti case ???

by RubaDub 102 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Full Disclosure:

I am an active (2-4 hrs/month) 3rd Generation JW hovering under the radar. Been posting here for 10 years. Not a JW apologist but truly look at myself and, as they say, "fair and balanced." I find the whole Judicial Committee system and policy of secrecy horrible and needs to be changed. I have never been abused nor anyone in my close family. In some ways I see how the recent ruling can help bring needed changes to JW policy. Those who have seen my postings (over 2,700) know that 75% are satirical, humorous or just take a light view of the situation we are in.

However .... wow .... this should get things going .... based on the timing of events and laws in effect at that time, I really don't understand totally what the Society did wrong in this case.

Many here don't realize that the policy of the Society, back when I was a kid in the 1960's, was to do EXACTLY what many want today; make the wrong-doing public to the congregation. Some here, like myself, will remember at the end of the Service Meeting, an announcement would be made that Bro. Jones or Sister Smith has been disfellowshipped or put on "probation" for a year for committing fornication, adultery or whatever the sin was. There was no sugar-coating. What the person did was announced to the entire congregation.

Eventually, numerous lawsuits for Slander and Libel developed.

I'm not certain of the exact dates, but sometime in the 70's the exact sin was no longer disclosed but rather just that the person was disfellowshipped or publicly reproved for "conduct unbecoming of a Christian."

More lawsuits.

Now, there is no public mention of what the sin was in any situation.

My point is, the Society (and other religions also) got sued for making the sins public to the congregation. When they keep the information secret (Elders only) we have the situation we are discussing now in which the Elders knew but the congregation in general did not.

Is this a "damned if you do or damned if you don't" situation to be in ???

If a person moves into the congregation, should his/her "resume" be presented to the congregation ???

Again, I find the general secrecy policy horrible. I have always felt that Judical Committee meetings should be recorded and "sealed" as is typical in many courts. Those who have an interest in the case (perhaps in a similar situation) would have access to the information. In this way, if a person felt he/she was wronged in any way, there would be a permanent record of the proceedings.

Anyway, what should the Society (or any other Organization) do when a known pedofile (or other serious sinner) is in or moves into the congregation ???

I am really torn on this.

Rub a Dub

• TD
    TD

When I went to check the mail today, there was notice in the box informing me that a registered sex offender had moved into the neighborhood.

It gave his address and picture. I noticed that the man is 47 and the offense occured when he was 21.

As society became aware of the pervasiveness of this crime and the recalcitrance of the offenders, the legal climate changed vis a vis their privacy.

The JW parent organization could not possibly have been ignorant of this change.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    The JW parent organization could not possibly have been ignorant of this change.

TD ...

That was not my point. I was trying to say what the POLICY should be ??? They have been sued for making sins public and then sued for hiding the information.

I don't know .. if Mike Smith moves into the congregation, should an announcement be made that .... "We welcome Brother Smith from Idado where he served 15 years in prison as an ax murdered. Don't let him near your tool shed if you invite him over for dinner ???

I'm not trying to be funny, but what should and how should the congregation be alerted without getting sued again and again for Libel/Slander ???

I really don't know.

Rub a Dub

• DT
    DT

I would say that suspicions of abuse should be reported first to the police. That isn't slander and actually protects them from liability. That would take care of many problems. Also sexual preadators shouldn't be allowed in the door to door ministry.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Honestly, I think there is a difference in announcing what is immoral vs what is criminal.

What two consenting adults do is one thing.

What an adult does and has the potential to do to other children is quite another.

Anyway, what should the Society (or any other Organization) do when a known pedofile (or other serious sinner) is in or moves into the congregation ???

Sadly, there are too many instances where pedo's are repeat offenders. I say announce it and let each person make up their mind what they

want to do. If they want their kids to go out in service with a child molester or not. Or be alone, or trust that person. Protect the children.

• Diest
    Diest

TD did it list his crime? SOunds like stautory rape...

• TD
    TD

Well I think at the very least, reports of child molestation should be reported to the authorities.

I know the JW have claimed clergy/penitent privilege, but I believe the courts have already rejected the notion that this exists with the so-called 'judicial committee."

• TD
    TD
    TD did it list his crime? SOunds like stautory rape...

Yes. The victim was 15.

• mind blown
    mind blown

I personally feel Child Sexual Rape/Abuse is one of the gravest of sins, along with murder. It's not like smoking, Adult adultry, etc.

They sould be disfellowshiped no matter what, along with a special talk of sorts (pedo talk/hint). NEVER have special previleges again. Period. When they move a letter goes along with them with their a photo if they are already on a pedo alert site or on file. I also think the elders should have a data base they can check to see if there is someone in their congo on file. After all theirs a file at WTS from what I hear as well.

Again that 2/3 witness "Suggestion" was for adults, not children being raped behing closed doors. That is one "Suggestion" by only "One" of the Apsotles, and for "Adults" sueing for silly reasons.

But the GB or the WTS do not have the wisdom or Gods spirit to see this. They are more worried about $$$$.

Matt 18:

6 “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. 7 Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come! 8 If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire. 9 And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I say announce it and let each person make up their mind what they

purplesofa ...

As I mentioned earlier, this is what used to be the policy back in the 1960's. Then the Slander/Libel lawsuits brought about "noo light" that changed the announcement to not being specific to the sin.

I guess you get sued either way.

I don't have the answer.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit