Is the Borg "really" guilty in the Candace Conti case ???

by RubaDub 102 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Is it slander if what a person says is true? Was this man's name on on the list of pedopliles when he abused Candace?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

purps ... I can't agree more ... let the children speak

mind blown ... I agree ... even the vilest of the vilest were part of the early Christian Congregation

Yes, we all agree that we want to protect our children from harm. We would give our lives for them.

But I'm still at a loss, in specifics, of what the Congregation should do when a Pedofile/Murderer/Rapist moves in. Do they read from the platform his/her rap sheet from 3 years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago, etc ???

Rub a Dub

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Guilty of not disclosing the situation to the proper legal authorities, I would say yes and so would many others.

As we all know, the organization mandates to protect the name and sanctity of their organization, first and foremost.

In engaging in this endeavor they've covered over situations of child abuse, with detrimental consequences to a few members of

their organization. Sexual abused toward children is far above any common sin such as fornication or adultery and should

be handled with much greater attention as a dangerous and damaging social behavior.

The WTS. put themselves in a precarious position when they instructed their elders to only contact the legal authorities in cases

of pedophilia, when it was only acquired by the local authorities.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    I know what we don't like but we just can't throw stones at the Borg without reasonable alternatives....Rub a Dub

The WBT$ makes the Rules JW`s are forced to accept..JW`s have a say in nothing..

JW`s blindly follow WBT$ Rules or,face WBT$ Punishment..

If JW`s break laws by following WBT$ Rules..Who should Face the Consequenses?..

A) The WBT$?..

B) JW`s?..

C) Everyone involved in a Conspiracy to Break the Law?..

...OUTLAW

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

But I'm still at a loss, in specifics, of what the Congregation should do when a Pedophile/Murderer/Rapist moves in.

Wouldn't you like to know if a person such as this moved into your congregation and started to associate with your own children ?

• DT
    DT

"But I'm still at a loss, in specifics, of what the Congregation should do when a Pedofile/Murderer/Rapist moves in. Do they read from the platform his/her rap sheet from 3 years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago, etc ???"

That is a good question. I think it is obvious that the person shouldn't be given positions of authority or be allowed to go door to door. Should it be announced to the congregation? I think it should, but I don't know what all the legal implications are. I think there would be some legal protection for the congregation if he has been baptized and therfore agreed to live by the rules of the religion.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    The truth about pedophiles and the difficulty of reforming them isn't consistent with the way Jehovah's Witnesses and other religious people view the world. They think the Bible can fix these people. If they were to admit that these people will always be dangerous, it would undermine their belief system.

DT hit the nail on the head and the point I was indirectly trying to make ...

JW's and other religions view the sinner as able to repent and forgiven of his sins. Fine. It's Biblical.

My question from a practical perspective is how to deal with these people based on their past lives (pedofiles, murderers, rapists, etc). What would be an acceptible policy for dealing with people with past bad histories in light of current Slander/Libel laws.

Rub a Dub

• sabastious
    sabastious

Rubadub, you are overthinking the situation at hand. People who commit sex crimes are not going to sue an organization for slander. They are going to hide it until they cannot any more. People who got guilted into a bad marriage and then were forced to self terminate it because of theological rules and then were publically defamed because of it will sue. Sex crime is it's own category altogether. The problem is that the Society has always wanted to have it's own government. They were too puffed up with their own pride to recognize the dire situation that is sex offenses that were flooding through the world. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted to say they were God's sole organization on earth, but yet when they started having the same exact problems as everybody else they covered it up. Like TD's experience it should just be a cut and dry thing. The second you commit a sexual crime everyone you ever encounter for the rest of your life should know. This does make the methodology of coming to the definition of sexual crime very important. It's the only way to solve the problem of people's lives being completely ruined by bad policies. Not just in religion, but in all organizations that work with children.

The JW's should have their own public megan's law that complies with the secular governments.

-Sab

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Did the perpetrator in this case ever serve time for his original crimes? Or did he simply get moved to another congregation which is what the catholic church has done with priests. It seems like if proper procedures were followed from the first incident, the guy would have been in jail. If this is a years after time done situation, how can alerting the neighborhood that he is moving in to be more important than alerting the community (congregation) that he will be so intimately involved with?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Well the guy actually had a conviction---which makes it public record, not slander. If he was a registered offender, it could have been as easy as advising people to check the registry. I have thought a lot about this---what is the responsiblity of the church, because this could have far reaching consequences. Child molesters go to church. I don't care who is committing adulter, fornication, drunkeness or whatever. But this was a specific crime with a conviction. The government had deemed it appropriate to make that easily accessible public knowledge. When a sexual offender moves anywhere close to me, I receive a notice in the mail with a picture, the conviction details, and his (haven't received a her yet) address. I ALSO get a saltellite picture of their location. My local government has not claimed to love me, or to be placed by god, or to be true worshippers of a loving god, yet they do more to keep me safe than those elders and the WTBTS.

I am sure a balance can be found.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit