Candace Conti video on YouTube - let's send it viral!

by cedars 126 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Nice work cedars. Simple easy to understand and to the point. great voiceover.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Thanks Cedars, Nugget and Cantleave. The video gave me chills it was so good. Nugget did an amazing job of narrating it. Bravo

Siam

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Cedars,

I'm trying to recall ... it's been three years since I was an elder and fortunately I NEVER had to sit on a case involving a pedophile, but I do not believe that elders in California are legally required to report known or suspected cases of sexual abuse of minors. The moral issues are another matter. And here is the crux of the issue, the difference between what IS and what SHOULD BE. This is why the WTBTS was found negligent in a civil case, but has not [yet] been found guilty of committing any crimes ... but I digress.

stuckinamovement made a recent post on another thread about a case he was involved in a few years ago in California. He wrote:

They [the WT Legal Department] discouraged us as Elders from reporting it to the authorities and told us to neither encourage or discourage the mother of the victim to report it. (Fortunately she did)

All communication had to be done over the phone, they specifically asked us not to send any written correspondence to them about it. After the pedophile got out of prision the branch gave us specific instructions not to warn the congregation about him, and instructions that we were not to stop him from participating in the door to door work. (fortunately everyone pretty much knew the story)

The elder book gives explicit instructions that if you find out about abuse allegations your first step is to call the legal department. The fact that they want to be involved in it is for the sole purpose of covering it up and obstructing justice.

SIAM

That pretty well exposes the flaws in the Society's position on the matter.

00DAD

• Deceived
    Deceived

This is so well done, I love Nugget's voice, great choice for narrator.

I liked it on Youtube and shared on my Facebook page. I will go to twitter and share it there too.

Thank you for all the work and love that went into this Cedars, Nugget and Cantleave

Sincerely Paula

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks for highlighting that 00DAD...

The elder book gives explicit instructions that if you find out about abuse allegations your first step is to call the legal department. The fact that they want to be involved in it is for the sole purpose of covering it up and obstructing justice.

This is precisely the message I try to get across. Unfortunately, I neglected to insert "rather than the police first" after "elders are instructed to always contact the branch office".

They [the WT Legal Department] discouraged us as Elders from reporting it to the authorities and told us to neither encourage or discourage the mother of the victim to report it. (Fortunately she did)

If you pause the page from the Shepherd book in the video (see 2:25), the above is exactly what it says. Neither encourage nor discourage the parents from notifying the authorities. However, if the Society truly views child abuse as a "crime" (which they specifically say in the new book), then OF COURSE they should be actively encouraging parents to notify the police as you would with any other crime!!

Cedars

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    OTWO: I am pondering whether to send a link to my JW loved one or not.
    MidwichCuckcoo: Oh go on, treat yourself...you know you want to

Alrightee! I did send it.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Great job, Cedars and Nugget.

Nugget, you have a beautiful voice.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

MAGISTRAL...!

• James Brown
    James Brown

Good information. Now I know what everyone is talking about.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Thank You!! I passed it on on my FB. I like how you presented it... no BS but no exagerations either!! Thank YOU!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit