Why America Must Stop Apologizing tTIlam

by Bangalore 106 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

Sigh, and I think I am the pragmatist, and you are insular in your thinking. I know the world is bigger than America, and we have to learn to respect others. I think you are somewhat short sighted and cowboy like.

But I love you anyway.

Yes, that is the way I see political threads,, and not directed at anyone in particular .....

Good luck with that, J_W.

tal

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Oh but Talesin, you forgot to quote the comment Woods made that I was responding to there.

It better illustrates the point.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think you are somewhat short sighted and cowboy like.

Thank you - that may be the best compliment I have ever received here on JWN. It was even better than Band on the Run saying that I am "somewhat astute" on things other than political.

BTW - my optomitrist calls it "near sighted" rather than "short sighted".

But I love you anyway.

You know I do too. You are not just saying that because I have a Ferrari, right?

BTW- join me on the peace political thread. I believe (in my primative cowboy way) that we can actually all get along this year - no matter who wins.

• talesin
    talesin

Beks,

Agreed!

xo

tal

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    You are not just saying that because I have a Ferrari, right?

Of course not!! There's the Rolls too!

No, I think that even though I often want to tie you up and ................................................educate you, you're a decent person. I can't say I feel the same about some here.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Beks, you can respect others, recognize the bigger global picture, but still hold to the values that made America great and not be ashamed of who and what we are. We might be ashamed of isolated events, some individual faux pas, and even some periods of bad governing. (My first experience of feeling ashamed was during Jimmy Carter's administration.) But, to be ashamed of our country as a whole and to believe we owe the world all kinds of apologies is ridiculous.

I don't find james_woods short-sighted nor cowboy-like. He sounds like a man of character, and one who stands strong for what he believes in. How does that make him insular. He's the kind of man that when he says, "I've got your back", you can count on it. If that sounds cowboy-like to you, well, that's just you, one little ole liberal loonie. (I say that with affection, btw....no maliciousness intended.)

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

He generally posts a link and asks for discussion. It's his style. Get to know him.

And his links are overwhelmingly anti-Islam.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Beks, you can respect others, recognize the bigger global picture, but still hold to the values that made America great and not be ashamed of who and what we are. We might be ashamed of isolated events, some individual faux pas, and even some periods of bad governing. (My first experience of feeling ashamed was during Jimmy Carter's administration.) But, to be ashamed of our country as a whole and to believe we owe the world all kinds of apologies is ridiculous.

Here is an excellent example of where I would request actual facts, examples, meaningful evidence to support your comment. And what exactly are the values that made America great? I truly wonder if those on the right have a clue.

How is a military snafu that results in extreme strained relations and ohhhh, death, an "individual faux pas"? It's straight up lack of knowledge and respect of those beyond our shores. Insular.

Who exactly is ashamed of our country as a whole? Hey while we're at it, what exactly made you feel ashamed during Carter's administration? Why in the world would you choose to use Carter as a distant and rather benign example, rather than the most embarrassing, most recent, most corrupt in history, GWB administration??? Your partisanship is showing.

I don't find james_woods short-sighted nor cowboy-like. He sounds like a man of character, and one who stands strong for what he believes in. How does that make him insular. He's the kind of man that when he says, "I've got your back", you can count on it. If that sounds cowboy-like to you, well, that's just you, one little ole liberal loonie. (I say that with affection, btw....no maliciousness intended.)

Jimmy is a sweetheart. He knows he's my buddy. But how does "I've got your back" translate into international diplomacy? This is exactly what I'm talking about. The right has been living on bumper stickers for years now. That just does not cut it in the real world.

• talesin
    talesin

journey-on

I see that as a particularly insular viewpoint and, well, you are American, so I can't diss you for it. The rest of the world does NOT see the US as the saviour of democracy and freedom. The 'bigger global picture',, is that the USA is the bully on the block, and we are sick of it.

tal

• journey-on
    journey-on

See, Beks, I could ask you the same questions. I did not say we should disrespect other countries. I did not say we should NEVER apologize for anything.

Michelle O'bama stated that for the FIRST time in her adult life she was proud of America. There is one for you. Now twist it according to your pov.

The reason I chose Jimmy Carter's administration is for the exact reason I stated. Are you "deaf". His administration was the first one in which I remember having feelings of shame. That's WHY I mentioned it.

I can ask you to do exactly what you have asked me to do. Show me the facts about GWB's administration being THE MOST corrupt in history. It will only be based on an interpretation....

"I've got your back" statement was not meant to be translated into international diplomacy. ????? If you think the right has bumper sticker statements, you haven't been listening to your side much.

This is what I'm talking about. YOU are too argumentative and too narrow-minded to be reasonably conversant. Or, perhaps, it's just the way you are to me personally. More than one person has stated to me that you seem to have a personal vendetta against me. I would like that to be cleared up. Let it all out now....tonight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit