Why America Must Stop Apologizing tTIlam

by Bangalore 106 Replies latest jw friends

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I'll bring it back, let me finish this spectacular bite of salad first................

• james_woods
    james_woods

Of course, Ms. Beks and Ms. Talesin.

I think I am about to start a thread about polite political discussion in this upcoming U.S. election year.

• mP
    mP

@talesin

I was referring to the Catholic tradition of confession. The priests back in the day were agents of the King.

Sorry if i didnt make that clear i was discussing religions cooperation with the king at the time.

• talesin
    talesin

That makes more sense, mP,,, but still, remember that the Church was famous for torturing people to get cooperation, as well ... hmmm. and I don't say that in an argumentative fashion, but 'tis true.

J_W ,,, yes, the thread has become somewhat derailed, and I will respectfully bow out. Good luck with 'polite' political discussions; it would be the first time I've seen them on here in 10 years of being a member ... hehehe,, I try to be reasonable, and if I have appeared to be rude here, I apologize - it was not my intent.

t

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    1) It was not done as a deliberate insult to the Taliban - it was a security measure and not in violation of their customs.

It most certainly was against their "customs" which I think is a word that lessens the facts. They were thrown in the garbage.

2) The apology did not work.

And? So we should not even try to make amends??? Is an apology a tactic, or an admission of responsibility and regret??

Imagine how you would feel if another country essentially invaded America and set up occupation. While here, the military insult and humiliate other Americans, they occasionally rape and pillage and kill our citizens. Then they "accidentally" burn a bunch of American flags, or bibles if that's your trip, and throw them in the trash with other refuse. At the same time, folks back home in country x are going anti American bananas, burning the flag proudly, and the country x people are either supportive, or silent. Not to mention, you've pretty much grown up never knowing peace. How would you feel? What would you do?

Americans need to learn what the rest of the world is about, and IF we have to be in hopeless situations like Afghanistan and Iraq, the least our people can do is conduct themselves with respect.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    J_W ,,, yes, the thread has become somewhat derailed, and I will respectfully bow out. Good luck with 'polite' political discussions; it would be the first time I've seen them on here in 10 years of being a member ... hehehe,, I try to be reasonable, and if I have appeared to be rude here, I apologize - it was not my intent.

Well, no reason we should not start. Nobody landed on the Moon until 1969, and it took liberal Jack Kennedy and a Nazi rocket scientist to get the job done.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Hi Beks -

I really think whether we apologized or not is a small issue. This is all really domestic politics - on both sides. (Afghan and U.S.)

The question is on which side the domestics political fallout had the most value, versus the most damage.

For each side.

I am a pragmaticist - you, (I think) - are an existentialist.

Somewhere in between is what really happens.

BTW - if you and Talesin will join me, I really am going to start a thread on decorum and peace in political discussion on JWN.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I've been thinking about trying to start a thread asking to focus on actual issues, with facts, and supporting evidence, but no massive obtuse cut n paste. Civil and substantive.

Seriously Woods, how would you feel if it were us? Can you empathize? I think that is something that many Americans lack, the ability to empathize.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Seriously Woods, how would you feel if it were us? Can you empathize? I think that is something that many Americans lack, the ability to empathize.

Yes - yes I can empathize. After I have the perps in Guatanimo.

That was a joke, Beks - but you already knew that.

I would never have suggested the Wibble thread or the Politco-Peace thread if I could not empathize.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    I am a pragmaticist - you, (I think) - are an existentialist.

Sigh, and I think I am the pragmatist, and you are insular in your thinking. I know the world is bigger than America, and we have to learn to respect others. I think you are somewhat short sighted and cowboy like.

But I love you anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit