THANK YOU Steven Unthank

by cedars 141 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi Johnny2feet,

If you know the proper use of ellipses I suggest you pass it along to the Watchtower writers. It's on record here where they quoted Nature (the periodical) back from the 90s. The first part of the quote was from one issue -- and following the ellipsis from an issue 5 issues (months) later.

Len

here's the link to that thread:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/119545/1/Unethical-quote-from-Nature-the-magazine

• Alfred
    Alfred

yes... keep saying that to yourself...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Did he commit some errors of judgment? Yes. Who doesn't?! And he's admitted to that.

Did he? I thought he was still dissembling about why he misled about the picture.

• cedars
    cedars

Slimboyfat:

Did he?

Are you asking me to prove it, or are you telling me he didn't apologise?

Either way, here you go...

Many people have been offended by my use of this drawing and I sincerely apologize for any offence I have caused. I have replaced the drawing with “the sun to make you happy” a drawing actually done by the young child I was referring to and given to me as a gift. Steven Unthank.

Cedars

• Johnnytwofeet
    Johnnytwofeet

Someone do a lookup of the "sun" picture. Was probably drawn by a 5 year old in Italy 4 years ago for a school project.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I won't go into all the allegations and criticism in minute detail, because much of it isn't worth repeating

So if something doesnt add up.... questioning is not right.... requesting explanations it bad.... and pointing them out is criticism..... and all of that is not worth repeating?

This is not about trying to put down someone's efforts.... Its about bringing up questions that arise from a behavior.... Handling a court case and the actions and language used is pretty important. YOU CAN NOT afford to make mistakes of "wording".... if someone who had to be careful with delicate stuff makes simple mistakes and deceitful allegations (which you do not expect from a PROSECUTOR) it immediately turns some red flags.

I am not questioning the character.... I am questioning the actions.

• james_woods
    james_woods

james_woods asked,

Isn't it also true that the witnesses backed down and had their elders register as people working with children as per the Australian law?

You are right about that. As I recall from a previous court update, when the judge asked Watchtower's attorney why they hadn't complied, she replied that "It's all been sorted out now."

Just prior to that court appearance a letter was sent to congregations telling elders to comply with the WWC Act.

In this respect Steven Unthank achieved a great victory, because without his efforts Watchtower would still be in non-compliance.

Unthank made a serious mistake with the picture (and the explanation he gave did not make any sense) - but we have to remember the above:

Specifically: That the Watchtower had to back down and make their elders comply with the WWC. That was a victory.

• hotspur
    hotspur

Yes - thank you Steven. To do what you have done is applaudable. Not many here would do it. Take no notice of the naysayers!

I still don't understand why they were not prosecuted for failing to comply with the WWC act though. If I had broken the speed limit for the last three years, I doubt I could escape punishment by saying I stay within the limits now... "It's all sorted". Beggers belief. They broke the law and failed to comply - end of!

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

I commend Steven's efforts and I believe his heart is in the right place. so thanks Steven - you don't need to achieve recognisable results to be appreciated though.

No one person is ever going to bring down the Watchtower society or even get them to eat humble pie. We can all just chip away in our own way and in our own time.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Steven Unthank ... thank you. You didn't fail the children, you accomplished a great deal, hold your head high.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit