Rick Fearon should apologise for accusing faders of being cowards

by cedars 188 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I HATE doing this type of thread. None of us are perfect, least of all myself, and I would rather focus any criticism on the Watch Tower Society for damaging people's lives. However, in the short period since I've been a member of this forum I've noticed one member in particular deteriorate in his behaviour into the type of individual who threatens to undermine the credibility of the entire website.

I should say now that I am AGAINST having Rick Fearon banished, or anything like that. We all have freedom of speech, and we should be able to say what we like within reason. However, I think Rick owes many of us an apology for effectively labelling as "cowards" any who will not reveal their identities on this forum and/or picket memorials alongside him.

Here is what he said on a recent post:

Those intolerant, contemptuous critics who will comment on this thread making harsh judgements and finding fault with those who protest are perhaps deep-down wishing they had the backbone to stop hiding in cyber-space, step away from their computer and "get out of the bleachers and into the game"

When criticized for his insulting behaviour, he offered this retort:

The reason The Watchtower Organization is still alive and actively recruiting is

because so many of you are scared to death to come out in the public and speak up!

Your constrained, uneasiness is aiding them to gather more innocent,

unsuspecting people into their destructive cult.

I will not hold you hostage for not wanting to protest.....

But The Watchtower is!...They say "BOO" and most here retreat to safe ground.

This is what he once said to OUTLAW, simply for his decision to remain anonymous:

The research has been done Outlaw, the women is credible......

Join us on the call and question her story.

At least she has the courage to give us her real name....

She is not hiding in cyber-space frightened to death what The Watchtower might do to her.

Not only does Rick accuse people like me, who decide to go about our work anonymously for the sake of retaining family ties, of being "scared to death" and of having no "backbone". He also accuses anybody who criticizes him of being a Watchtower operative.

Note his following words from another previous thread:

Thank you Steven for not giving into to a bunch of complaining. disrespectful ,

immature whiners. I am so pleased to see you are a man of discernment and courage.

Criticizers run rampant on this forum and logical minded ones using sound judgement

can readily ascertain who these ones are.... active Jehovah's Witnesses,

Watchtower operatives,jealous Internet radio personalities and people who are

embarrassed and squeamish about being involved with Six Screens.

You will note from the above rant that Rick also denounces "jealous Internet radio personalities".

Rick, I ask you now, to whom are you referring with that statement? If you were referring to Mad Sweeney, then you also owe him an apology for your outburst. I have spoken with him, and know him to be a very genuine, sincere and earnest individual. There isn't an ounce of jealousy in him, least of all for anything you may have done. Furthermore, he goes about his work with integrity and dignity, and doesn't make up fictional characters or plagiarize photos of unrelated people to support his claims. If anybody should be jealous of anybody, YOU should be jealous of HIM, because people on this forum respect his work and appreciate all that he does.

Furthermore, you owe him, and all of the faders on this website, an apology.

Cedars

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Cedars,

I hear what you’re saying, and do not condone bad behavior.

My take on Rick is that he’s in the process of disengaging from decades of being a Watchtower worshipper. Sometimes it’s not a pretty process. Lot’s of things get said and done. Each one has his or her own outbursts and acts they later wish they could change. Sometimes much later. But eventually circumstances arrive in at good place. Or, at least that’s my general observation.

My recommendation is to sit back and enjoy the entertainment value of it all, if there is any. Give individuals space to go through their personal process. Let education and good training say when and where to take a person seriously for whatever they have to say.

“Johnny the Bethelite”? Are you kidding me! That combination of three words is, alone, enough to evoke a gut-busting belly-laugh. Enjoy it while it lasts!

In the meantime, while Rick is on his role I say use his unbridled enthusiasm for bugling information far and wide. Few individuals have accomplished the shear number of readers as he has. Use it. Enjoy what you can. Ignore the rest.

My two cents,

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• cedars
    cedars

Hi Marvin, thanks - that's good advice. At least you're good at giving it!

My recommendation is to sit back and enjoy the entertainment value of it all, if there is any. Give individuals space to go through their personal process. Let education and good training say when and where to take a person seriously for whatever they have to say.

That's been my strategy for a while now. However, if Rick wants to make wild sensationalist claims and say all the things that conform to the Society's apostate stereotype, then that's one thing. Most of the time, he is his own worst enemy - and the things he says reveal that he isn't to be taken seriously.

However, I believe he has crossed the line by effectively branding folks like me "cowards" simply because we do our work anonymously so as not to be cut off from our families. In saying such things, he betrays a dearth of sensitivity or acknowledgment towards those suffering from the effects of the Society's shunning policy.

I maintain that Rick also owes Mad Sweeney an apology, although I'm sure Sweeney is far too noble to ask for one.

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks OUTLAW - but I wouldn't lay a finger on Rick, and neither should anyone else. He may piss me off, but nobody deserves to end up with a bloody face just for being insulting and insensitive. I just want to see him apologise, that's all.

Cedars

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Thank you Steven for not giving into to a bunch of complaining. disrespectful ,

immature whiners. I am so pleased to see you are a man of discernment and courage.

Criticizers run rampant on this forum and logical minded ones using sound judgement

can readily ascertain who these ones are.... active Jehovah's Witnesses,

Watchtower operatives,jealous Internet radio personalities and people who are

embarrassed and squeamish about being involved with Six Screens.

Notice the loaded language - " Criticizers run rampant on this forum and logical minded ones using sound judgement can readily ascertain who these ones are ..." The WTB&TS does the exact same thing. In this case, only the "logically minded ones using sound judgement" will recognize who these ones are. If you don't recognize these ones, then you must not be using sound judgement. Lifted right from the WT playbook of mind control.

MeanMrMustard

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good morning Cedars..

The fact is..

RF has a large abusive mouth..

Everyone knows who he is and what he looks like..

Thats not a good combination..

Eventually he will run into the wrong person..

I really did`nt think you would Fly from England to the USA to Harm anyone..

That would make you Nuttier than Fearon..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Cedars,

For one reason or another each of us owes the next an apology for something. I’m sure Rick is no exception, though he does tend to be loud about it (bugle et al).

Thanks for complementing me on the giving of advice. As you apparently know, bar none, I am better than anyone else on planet earth when it comes to giving advice. Right?

And, if you think that’s something, you should see how well I take advice!

Embrace the horror, and have fun doing it.

Marvin Shilmer, who could not help himself from having fun with what he can

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• Londo111
    Londo111

Normally, I try to stay away from controversy. But I think Rick's latest post went too far…and I do feel he should be removed. He has violated quite a few of the common sense guidelines. He can always come back under a new profile…and have a probationary period like all new posters.

I can understand that the Society can psychological wound people and perhaps the lingering effects of mind control are making him act out. Perhaps he needs exit-counseling.

If I understand correctly, he claims to be Christian and yet in regard to Christ it is written, "He will not wrangle, nor cry aloud, nor will anyone hear his voice in the broad ways. No bruised reed will he crush, and no smoldering flaxenwick will he extinguish."

I am not sure what fruitage of the Spirit is being manifested through his behavior.

• cedars
    cedars

OUTLAW, thanks for clarifying!

As for...

I really did`nt think you would Fly from England to the USA to Harm anyone..

That would make you Nuttier than Fearon..

...well, I do have my moments!

Cedars

• freetosee
    freetosee

Actually Ricks repeated insults to faders, calling them cowards, because they stay anonymous, tells me that he realises that his efforts are not effective. He can not admit to himself that he is failing and needs to put the blame on others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit