Whats the dumbest thing you were counselled for?

by Beck_Melbourne 116 Replies latest jw friends

• Thomas Poole
    Thomas Poole

I went into the kingdom hall library where a sister was looking at some books on the shelf. I greeted her, had a three-minute conversation with her, and then left to go about my business.

The door was open to the library about 12 inches. I was counseled that I should not have been alone with her in the library.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

terafera...I can't believe your parents beat you...what hypocrites. Did anyone ever see sisters with wooden spoons in the kingdom hall or at assemblies wacking their kids bottoms so that they would sit still? Well it wasn't me...but I saw plenty of that...and they were always admired by onlookers for being such conscientious parents...makes me sick.

OH and who did u love on Knots Landing...I so wanted to be Paige lmao...as if...look nothing like her...and I loved the actor Thomas Wilson Brown...but I have forgotten the name of his character...he was paige's long lost brother....oh the soapie world...how i used to love its forbidden fruitage...now that I can watch it...I don't bother with it...funny that.

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

Knot's Landing comes on the Soap network on my cable system, but I'm pretty sure that's only in the USA.

I was counseled for getting a job while I was in high school. All of the teenagers in my cong were either pioneers (we had the youngest pioneer in the circuit) or training to be pioneers. Well, my mom was on welfare and my deadbeat dad wasn't paying child support. So... as soon as I hit 16 I went and got a cashier's job at the local grocery store. I was being called materialistic! That was a laugh. I used my money to buy lunch and other necessities.

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

We had moved out of our area for a couple years to a larger city. Our District Conventions were held not too far from us. Right after the convention, a family from our old hall told us that they were planning on staying in town for a few days to take their two children sightseeing. They asked me flat out if I would mind taking them in for the night...as they were sure they couldn't find a hotel. In my best JW-polite voice I said "Sure! No Problem, We'd LOVE to!"

We let the parents sleep in our bed and the kids in my son's bed and the three of us took the living room floor.

The next morning, I woke up early and made a big breakfast for everyone. I was just about to serve when their kids spied the (colorful) box of Lucky Charms perched on top of my fridge. They begged their parents for Lucky Charms instead of the big breakfast I had prepared. The JW couple seemed quite annoyed. They wouldn’t give in…the kids were sulking and everyone was miserable. The parents made a hasty retreat to the bedroom and gathered their things.

On the way out the wife turned to me and said “I would never allow Lucky Charms in my house.” LOL

no thank you or see you soon [8>]

edited cuz i always see silli spellin errors AFTER i post

• Mulan
    Mulan

I was counseled for telling my niece that the Greek Scriptures did not contain the name Jehovah. Duh! Doesn't everyone know that? I really embarrassed those elders. The Divine Name Brochure! Hello!!

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

While I was at Bethel, my Overseer called me into his office and counseled me for smiling too much while I was working. He told me it was not normal and it made him uncomfortable. (Yes, I did smile when he said this to me.) He also told me that I was not to speak about his counsel to anyone. (I immediately went and told other Bethelites on our crew what he told me...No one was surprised at his counsel, I guess he did that often.)

Also........one day while at Bethel, my roommate got the wonderful letter from the Home Overseer (translate this as home god). He was chastized for having a University of Georgia National Football Championship Coke Bottle on his dresser. They said it stumbled people to see that on his dresser. He was told he could take it out whenever he was in his room but before leaving the room he had to hide it away. (I kid you not, this was a very common occurance since the housekeepers and home overseers inspect the bethel rooms.)

One day, I was water blasting a room at the 360 Furman Bldg. I was pulled out of the room and handed a phone. It was my home overseer. He was mad at me because there was some kind of spill on my desk in my room and they were having a hard time cleaning it up. He asked me what it was. I told him that I was not aware of any spill on my desk and that it was news to me. I got a 20 minute lecture on how I should be more appreciative of the desk provisions that Jehovah had given me and that if my attitude did not change and if it happened again they would charge me for refinishing the desk.

Jeff S.

• pamkw
    pamkw

When my son was just little I was talked to all the time about spanking him. They felt I didn't do it enough, or I did it too much. I could never get it right. Then later, when I got married (to a non jw), they showed up just long enough to ask if I had sex before we were married. I said no. If they only knew we were living together at the time, didn't get married for 5 more months. They never came back after that. I guess since they thought they could not df me, I was not important enough to talk to again. Now they just consider me a non person, an invisible has been. I like it that way.

Pam

• messenger
    messenger

Once when giving the Memorial talk I concluded with a story about the ressurection. I was counseled by the entire elder body as they felt the ending thought of what the ressurection hope means took away from the death of Christ.

I think I had gotten to deep for them. Let's see according to WT teaching, why did Christ die? Was it not to give the hope of a ressurection? Though I was thinking this at the time, it was not worth the effort to try and explain it to four backwoods inbred elders. I just apologized and said next year I would really try to keep it stupid. They were so happy.

• rhett
    rhett

I was counseled for not shaving when I was sick. My parents ended up having the elders get on me for that one even though I was too sick to go to the meetings back for a couple weeks back in high school. Then again there was the time an elder called my house because he saw me walking out of a store with something in my hand that he couldn't see and thought that I was carrying a pack of cigarettes. He felt foolish when I told him it was some candy that I got because my sugar was low (I'm diabetic). Its probally best I didn't tell him the truth that it was really a pack of condems.
    Another one I really thing is hilarious now is the time they were trying to convince me that one of my friends was a bad influence because he had a goatee and tatoos. They showed me the scripture that says you're not supposed to get tatoos. What they left out was the scripture right before that one that says don't shave your beard. Assholes.

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• terafera
    terafera

Wind,
    Thank you for your kind words. It meant alot. I'm sorry for what you had to go through also. In my case, my father was an alcoholic but very peaceable, even when he drank. I think he did it to drown out my mother's screaming.

Rhett,
    LOL! I cant believe you were buying condoms and passed it off as candy! Naughty boy!

Beck,
    I cant remember all the characters names. But do you remember the blonde guy? Ugh! Names, I wished I remembered! He was on trial for killing his wife, then it was proven she did it to herself! I loved Mac and his wife.. too sweet. And those memories of Paige. Oh my word! I thought I was her... I would wear my hair up, wear the dresses and walk like I owned the world. At work when I answered the phone, I would pretend I was Paige, I had her funny way of talking and tried to be very confident. Oh my! How embarrassing! I guess when you're a self-conscious and insecure teenager, you do what you must to have a brave face to the world.

Oh yeah, I was the kid getting hauled off to the bathroom, arm raised up higher than it could reach. My mom would wack the crap out of me. I wasnt a bratty kid... I was shy and quiet. But sometimes I would fidget or draw which was 'disrespectful'. I hated watching other kids getting hauled out to the Bathroom of Doom. I could hear the screams coming down the hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit