Whats the dumbest thing you were counselled for?

by Beck_Melbourne 116 Replies latest jw friends

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I was once counselled by the elders for watching 'Knots Landing'....it became widely known in the congregation that me and a few other sisters would rush home from field service to watch our favourite soapie. If we missed it, we would ring each other up for an update...OR...if we weren't near a TV we would ask someone to put the phone handset on the top of their TV so we could hear it...pathetic huh...but that was all the excitement we could scrounge up in our otherwise dull and uneventful lives. One of the elder's wive's conscience got the better of her...and she confessed to her husband..LOL.

My counselling team consisted of an elder and a ministerial servant...and they proceeded to encourage me scripturally and recommended certain WT articles which they advised me to read.

Anyone else want had any experiences equally as dumb as mine??

• Beans
    Beans

Well being the son of the Presiding Overseer we of course knew what was right and wrong except when my father banned us watching The Love Boat because there was to much kissing on the show.

Beans

• ofcmad
    ofcmad

An elders meeting was called and I was counselled on watching New Jack City with a couple of friends. My mother called the meeting with the elders and the sister who's kids I was watching it with.

No lie- counselled by the elders to get rid of my smurf doll..it was the girl one. They saw it one night while they were holding the book study at my house. I was only 9.

ofcmad

• garybuss
    garybuss

no necktie

• target
    target

I had given my 12 year old son a short haircut for the summer. He was councelled on not having a part in his hair.

Target

• Preston
    Preston

I was counseled for giving an illustration in a talk that was too complex (which it wasn't), even though it fit the material, thus rendering the talk too interesting. Basically he wanted a simpler illustration ("okay brother, I'll make the talk more boring next time."). My younger brother was there and even he thought the council was a bit naff.

• Kep
    Kep

I was counselled once about smoking. Apparently I was seen driving up the road with a smoke. This was total BS as I never entertained the thought of smoking.
    All I could think of was I had a white barrelled pen in my mouth.
    I'm sure it was my sister who tried to dob me in.
    Anyway, now if they see me, for sure they will see me puffing away.

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

I lived behind the kingdom hall in a trailer. Seemed to me the back of the hall was the perfect place to practice my tennis swing. Turns out a couple of my balls got stuck in the rain gutter and caused a slushy/muddy/leafy mess on the roof. The elders not only counseled me about my balls...but, there was a local needs part on the subject. I was so humiliated cuz everyone knew those balls were mine.

Wick (of the bouncy class)

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

I was an unruly teen due to my childhood memories resurfacing at that age and I went wild.

So my mum get Elder D to come round and pray for me. He says I'm demonized and proceeds to pray for exorcism. Then they burned my R.L Stine and Flowers in the attic trilogy books and my troll and threw out my gunners cd's. I spewed. I wasn't even in 'the truth' then! I was in second year of my protest!

If the elder had stopped and watched my behaviour, he might have realized that I wasn't demon-possessed, I was memory-possessed and retaliating to the witnesses for what one of them had did. Anyone coulda seen I was traumatized not demonized!

• Dutchy
    Dutchy

Once we had visited the Statue of Liberty on Liberty Island in New York and in the gift shop we purchased a rubber replica of the Statute of Liberty. Actually, it was an eraser, maybe three inches high and green. When we got home we placed in on top of the television standing upright and forgot about it and just left it there. Well, the book study was at our house and when it was over, the study conducter pulled us over in the corner and said that we had to throw away our eraser statute because we as witnesses did not look to that as our liberty, we instead looked to Jehovah Kingdom. When the study group left we laughed hysterically.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit