Applying Math, Physics, Archeology to THE STORY OF NOAH

by Terry 464 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

breakfast- What happened in 2370 BCE, a whole lot the Bronze Age was rockin'.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Thank you DESIGNS! You win the prize!

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Elderlite,

I understand the question, but suppose you look at it from his point of view. He views the Bible as having authority, therefore he quotes from the Bible to come to a conclusion.

This is not a bad thing in itself.

I could quote to you from a book on astronomy and give you the reference. You might take what I say as truth because I am quoting from a published work.

In this situation, you have a book, or 66 of them, that are believed by a lot of people to be God' Word. That is all the authority they need.

The doubters and skeptics don't believe the Bible or only believe portions of it, therefore they cannot accept the Word as the final authority on anything.

This is a situation where neither side can convince the other side of their viewpoint. It's not check mate, it's stalemate.

• designs
    designs

That the vast majority of Judaism is so over a literal reading of the Bible should tell you something.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

You might take what I say as truth because I am quoting from a published work.

No, because it's peer reviewed, tested and proveable. The bible is not any of that and in fact, in many cases, proven to NOT be accurate.

This is a situation where neither side can effectively win an argument. It's not check mate. It's stalemate.

No, not at all. The wold is progressing around them even as they use the science they reject to make their lives better.

• cofty
    cofty

In this situation, you have a book, or 66 of them, that are believed by a lot of people to be God' Word. That is all the authority they need.

Then they have forfeited their place in any rational discussion.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

By the way Terry Mortenson is said to have a PhD. in the history of geology, that doesn't mean he holds a PhD. geological earth sciences.

His personal endeavor in becoming a devout Christian occured prior to obtaining this supposed degree.

In other words he was predispositioned to oppose modern acquired geological earth sciences.

The bible reads as it reads adding additional meaning to Scripture to support a position or argument is being intellectually

dishonest, something you see quite often by religionists or self described Truthseekers.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Seeker, thank you for a thoughtfull and direct response!

You answer though and illistration is telling of my bigger point. You cite an astronomer who is respected and quoted. Indeed this is a real and lractical example. But bear in mind he os only cited and quoted and respected as an authority as long as he is proven to be accurate. Many threads here have cited and given evidance that show facts to the contrary. Your response to simply recite the bibles account...

All i and others are trying to do is get you to think beyond the one referance you cite , the bible, and find what should be easy to find: evidance of a global flood OTHER than the bible.

The issue that initial cause caused you to cite dr mortenson was the water covering the moutains. For a moment, without reatating the bible, can you offer somesort of explanation as to where that water is today? How did that water cover the mountains and then disapear? How did a 300 foot long wooden box survive such a torent?

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I might have said more, but Cofty disqualified me from further discussion :)

Then they have forfeited their place in any rational discussion.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Without restating the Bible, I would surmise the excess water is where the North and South Poles are.

How about you tell me where the water from the Poles came from?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit