Applying Math, Physics, Archeology to THE STORY OF NOAH

by Terry 464 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• elderelite
    elderelite

Lol i swear seeker, i read nothing of substance there. Please tell me what i missed

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

A nobody in the real world of science...

http://www.answersingenesis.org/events/bio.aspx?Speaker_ID=20

Like most people, Dr. Mortenson grew up in an education system that taught evolution as fact. During his first year at the University of Minnesota (where he majored in math) and shortly after becoming a Christian, he began to see the fallacy of the idea of millions of years of evolution.

With a Ph.D. in the history of geology from the University of Coventry in England and an M.Div. from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Chicago, Dr. Mortenson has lectured on the creation-evolution controversy in 21 countries since the late 1970s. He has spoken in homes, churches, schools (primary, middle and secondary), secular universities, Bible colleges and seminaries. Several of his popular lectures have been produced as DVDs and as TV programs. He has also participated in seven formal debates with Ph.D. evolutionary scientists in secular venues in four countries.

He is the author of numerous magazine and journal articles and several book chapters. The revised version of his PhD thesis was published as The Great Turning Point: the Church's Catastrophic Mistake on Geology--Before Darwin (Master Books, 2004). With a deep burden for seminary professors and students, he co-edited and contributed two chapters to the scholarly 14-author book, Coming to Grips with Genesis: Biblical Authority and the Age of the Earth (Master Books, 2008).

He is a member of the Evangelical Theological Society, has presented six creation-related papers at ETS annual meetings, and spear-headed the formation of the "Creation Consultation" sessions at the ETS annual meeting beginning in 2008. He has also helped to lead four by-invitation-only 7-day rafts trips down the Colorado River through Grand Canyon for seminary and Bible College professors and other key Christian leaders.

• truthseeker
  • ziddina
    ziddina

Aaaah, I'm only on page 8, but this comment:

"Much probably happened during Noah and his family's stay on board the Ark. There were earthquakes and undersea volcanic eruptions. The result was the receding of the waters were not to their original boundaries.
    Land masses under went change from caverns, rising land masses and trenches that were created from God's hand being involved. This altered the original water boundaries and created new ones. ..." Truthseeker

Made me Face/Palm...

The earthquakes required to make the MASSIVE changes in size and position of land mass that Twoothseeker is proposing, would EXCEED A MAGNITUDE 10 EARTHQUAKE!! Such quakes and changes would have generated MEGA-TSUNAMIS that would have rolled ol' "Noah's" "ark" like a twig in a vortex!!!

Have you forgotten what happened with ONE level-9 earthquake in the Indian Ocean in 2004? 30=foot WAVES????

How about that Chilean earthquake, which was SO powerful that it SPED UP THE ORBIT OF THE EARTH - by 1.6 microseconds... And THAT quake moved an island by a mere TWO METERS - slightly over 6 feet!!!

Twoothseeker's bizarre speculation is yet another example of religious fervor whizzing past scientific fact in an emotional frenzy...

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

elderlite,

I see nothing of substance in what you're saying so let's leave it at that.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I understand truthseeker. The Bible is a pattern. When one respects the pattern and learns from it he can then fill in what's missing. It becomes something learned that encourages more learning and more seeking patterns.

Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. Matthew 13:12

Did no one ever wonder how someone can "not have" but "what he has" will be taken from him? I have. I think the evidence shows that they do not have the understanding so then the word to be understood is "taken away". All you former Bible students prove that true.

• cofty
    cofty

Yes Mortenson is a nobody in the world of real science. Co-authoring popular psuedo-science books targeted at home schooled evangelicals is not doing science. He has never published a single paper in a serious peer reviewed journal. Never - not one.

He wrote a thesis on the HISTORY of geology. Would you go to a doctor whose only qualification was to study the HISTORY of medicine?

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

ziddina,

sounds like you were in an emotional frenzy writing that.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, and one more thing...

this comment:

"the Flood would have been global in geographical extent, for water must seek its own level—and it must do so quickly! ..." Twoothseeker

Well, guess what...???

Because of the gravitational pull on the oceans, the water of the oceans is NOT level AT ALL... The water actually is HIGHER over submerged sea mounts and is LOWER over trenches!!!

So, when one is talking about vast areas of water, there is a height variation that tends to follow the profle of the ocean floors...

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "sounds like you were in an emotional frenzy writing that. ..."

To your ears warped by the fervor of religious frenzy, to be sure...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit