Applying Math, Physics, Archeology to THE STORY OF NOAH

by Terry 464 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

thetrueone,

Since you're so fond of cut and paste...

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v2/n2/universality-of-flood

Noah’s Flood is critically important to the question of the age of the earth, as explains Dr. Terry Mortenson in his article on p. 62. For over eighteen centuries virtually all Christians understood Genesis to recount a universal Flood that completely covered the whole earth, leaving no dry land anywhere at the height of the event. However, during the past 200 years many Christians have been swayed by secular ideas and have abandoned the clear hermeneutic of Scripture for belief that the Flood was local and covered only the Mesopotamian Valley of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers (the area of modern-day Iraq). But such a view cannot stand under the careful scrutiny of Genesis 6–9 . Consider these points.

The Depth of the Flood

One of the most important biblical arguments for a universal (i.e., global) Flood is the statement of Genesis 7:19–20 , which says, “ And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills that were under the whole heaven were covered. Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered ” (KJV).

You do need not be a professional scientist to realize the tremendous implications of these biblical statements. If the highest mountains 1 were covered with water, the Flood would have been global in geographical extent, for water must seek its own level—and it must do so quickly!

The phrase “ fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail ” does not mean that the Flood was only 15 cubits deep, for the phrase is qualified by the one which immediately follows: “ and the mountains were covered. ”

Because Genesis 6:15 tells us that the height of the Ark was 30 cubits, nearly all commentators agree that the phrase “fifteen cubits” in 7:20 must refer to how deep the Ark sank into the water when it was fully laden. Such information adds further support for a universal Flood, because it tells us that the Flood “prevailed” over the tops of the highest mountains to a depth of at least 15 cubits. If the Flood had not covered the mountains by at least such a depth, the Ark could not have floated over them during the five months in which the waters “prevailed” upon the earth.

Now, if you think you know better than Dr. Terry Mortenson I'd be interested in your views.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Seeker, that article offers nothing but speculation on how much the ark settled into the water and reafirms the bibles account of its depth over the moutains.

No evidance. No logic. Not even any theries on where that water is today. Really? Thats the best you can do? Im not sure if you are just trolling or really serious here.... How can you not adress even basic questions and offer simple cut and pastes that have nothing of substance and expect to be taken seriously...?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Thanks for the clarification, it was so many cubits covering over the highest mountain tops .

Another pertinent question that apears how did Noah and all the those animals last that long as far as food for his family and

all those animals ?

According to Genesis 8:5 the ark had been floating for a very long time.

The water decreased steadily until the tenth month; in the tenth month, on the first day of the month, the tops of the

mountains became visible.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Elderlite,

It is apparent that nothing could convince you of something you have made your mind up about, that is why you tear holes in things you know little about. Your agenda is not one of openess but one of pulling down.

When you get your doctorate then maybe I'll pay attention to what you have to say, in the meantime I'll go with Dr. Terry Mortenson's findings.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

thetrueone,

The Bible does not give all the specifics concerning the preflood era.

All things written beforehand were written as pieces for the jigsaw puzzle called the Bible.

These pieces are omitted unless they are essential to our learning process of understanding the complete truth.

Speaking or putting thoughts on tablets was no less a natural progression of God's purpose for mankind.

The Word does not mention every time someone went to the outhouse, but we know that the natural order provided for such things.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

This is speculation on my part, but consider the passage in the scriptures where Jesus had gone without food for 40 days and 40 nights. He still lived, sustained by God's spirit. I'm not saying that's what happened, but it's something to consider.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Seeker, clearly i missed it. Please boil it down for me...

What were his findings?

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Now you're being sarcastic elderlite, I have no need to repeat myself.

• cofty
    cofty

Mortenson has a PHd in the history of geology. This is very different from having a qualification in geology. He never publishes in any peer reviwed journals. He is a nobody in the world of real science.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Still, it takes 8-9 years to get a PHd does it not? He must have learned something during those years. And 10 minutes spent researching his material does not make you qualified to do a peer review.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit