Any updates on the SPY network at the I.R.S., F.B.I., and other agencies for Watchtower Bible and Tract Society?

by Balaamsass 91 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

In Canada, most Civil Servant jobs, especially in sensitive records, must be bonded, and and a CPIC check is a requirement.

B, that's horrible that such sensitive, confidential information got leaked out. Anyone who does that would be dismissed. I know of some cases where this has happened, but not with JW's.

Quite a few years ago, the Society wrote a specific letter to Dr's that were members of JW's, and it addressed their confidentiality arrangements. It was quite some time ago, but, I do remember what was commented on the matter.

I know that the Soc expects you to approach your brother or sister if you witness something wrong and if they don't approach the Elders you are to go to that step.

If Dr's or Lawyer's have that patient confidentiality agreement through the exercise of their office, others who are custodials of such information in the care of their positions have a responsibility to maintain the public's trust. When it becomes a matter of concience and the employee can't handle this condition of their employment, they should quit and work somewhere else.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

“A

Timeto

Speak”—When?

MARY works as a medical assistant at a hospital. One requirement she has to abide by in her work is confidentiality. She must keep documents and information pertaining to her work from going to unauthorized persons. Law codes in her state also regulate the disclosure of confidential information on patients.

One day Mary faced a dilemma. In processing medical records, she came upon information indicating that a patient, a fellow Christian, had submitted to an abortion. Did she have a Scriptural responsibility to expose this information to elders in the congregation, even though it might lead to her losing her job, to her being sued, or to her employer’s having legal problems? Or would Proverbs 11:13 justify keeping the matter concealed? This reads: “The one walking about as a slanderer is uncovering confidential talk, but the one faithful in spirit is covering over a matter.”—Compare Proverbs 25:9, 10.

Situations like this are faced by Jehovah’s Witnesses from time to time. Like Mary, they become acutely aware of what King Solomon observed: “For everything there is an appointed time, even a time for every affair under the heavens: . . . a time to keep quiet and a time to speak.” (Ecclesiastes 3:1, 7) Was this the time for Mary to keep quiet, or was it the time to speak about what she had learned?

Circumstances can vary greatly. Hence, it would be impossible to set forth a standard procedure to be followed in every case, as if everyone should handle matters the way Mary did. Indeed, each Christian, if ever faced with a situation of this nature, must be prepared to weigh all the factors involved and reach a decision that takes into consideration Bible principles as well as any legal implications and that will leave him or her with a clear conscience before Jehovah. (1 Timothy 1:5, 19) When sins are minor and due to human imperfection, the principle applies: “Love covers a multitude of sins.” (1 Peter 4:8) But when there seems to be serious wrongdoing, should a loyal Christian out of love of God and his fellow Christian reveal what he knows so that the apparent sinner can receive help and the congregation’s purity be preserved?

Applying

Bible

Principles

What are some basic Bible principles that apply? First, anyone committing serious wrongdoing should not try to conceal it. “He that is covering over his transgressions will not succeed, but he that is confessing and leaving them will be shown mercy.” (Proverbs 28:13) Nothing escapes the notice of Jehovah. Hidden transgressions must eventually be accounted for. (Proverbs 15:3; 1 Timothy 5:24, 25) At times Jehovah brings concealed wrongdoing to the attention of a member of the congregation that this might be given proper attention.—Joshua 7:1-26.

Another Bible guideline appears at Leviticus 5:1: “Now in case a soul sins in that he has heard public cursing and he is a witness or he has seen it or has come to know of it, if he does not report it, then he must answer for his error.” This “public cursing” was not profanity or blasphemy. Rather, it often occurred when someone who had been wronged demanded that any potential witnesses help him to get justice, while calling down curses—likely from Jehovah—on the one, perhaps not yet identified, who had wronged him. It was a form of putting others under oath. Any witnesses of the wrong would know who had suffered an injustice and would have a responsibility to come forward to establish guilt. Otherwise, they would have to ‘answer for their error’ before Jehovah.

This command from the Highest Level of authority in the universe put the responsibility upon each Israelite to report to the judges any serious wrongdoing that he observed so that the matter might be handled. While Christians are not strictly under the Mosaic Law, its principles still apply in the Christian congregation. Hence, there may be times when a Christian is obligated to bring a matter to the attention of the elders. True, it is illegal in many countries to disclose to unauthorized ones what is found in private records. But if a Christian feels, after prayerful consideration, that he is facing a situation where the law of God required him to report what he knew despite the demands of lesser authorities, then that is a responsibility he accepts before Jehovah. There are times when a Christian “must obey God as ruler rather than men.”—Acts 5:29.

While oaths or solemn promises should never be taken lightly, there may be times when promises required by men are in conflict with the requirement that we render exclusive devotion to our God. When someone commits a serious sin, he, in effect, comes under a ‘public curse’ from the One wronged, Jehovah God. (Deuteronomy 27:26; Proverbs 3:33) All who become part of the Christian congregation put themselves under “oath” to keep the congregation clean, both by what they do personally and by the way they help others to remain clean.

Personal

Responsibility

These are some of the Bible principles Mary likely considered in making her personal decision. Wisdom dictated that she should not act quickly, without weighing matters very carefully. The Bible counsels: “Do not become a witness against your fellowman without grounds. Then you would have to be foolish with your lips.” (Proverbs 24:28) To establish a matter conclusively, the testimony of at least two eyewitnesses is needed. (Deuteronomy 19:15) If Mary had seen only a brief mention of abortion, she might have decided conscientiously that the evidence of any guilt was so inconclusive that she should not proceed further. There could have been a mistake in billing, or in some other way the records may not have properly reflected the situation.

In this instance, however, Mary had some other significant information. For example, she knew that the sister had paid the bill, apparently acknowledging that she had received the service specified. Also, she knew personally that the sister was single, thus raising the possibility of fornication. Mary felt a desire lovingly to help one who may have erred and to protect the cleanness of Jehovah’s organization, remembering Proverbs 14:25: “A true witness is delivering souls, but a deceitful one launches forth mere lies.”

Mary was somewhat apprehensive about the legal aspects but felt that in this situation Bible principles should carry more weight than the requirement that she protect the privacy of the medical records. Surely the sister would not want to become resentful and try to retaliate by making trouble for her, she reasoned. So when Mary analyzed all the facts available to her, she decided conscientiously that this was a time to “speak,” not to “keep quiet.”

WNow Mary faced an additional question: To whom should she speak, and how could she do so discreetly? She could go directly to the elders, but she decided to go first privately to the sister. This was a loving approach. Mary reasoned that this one under some suspicion might welcome the opportunity to clarify matters or, if guilty, confirm the suspicion. If the sister had already spoken to the elders about the matter, likely she would say so, and Mary would not need to pursue matters further. Mary reasoned that if the sister had submitted to an abortion and had not confessed to this serious transgression of God’s law, she would encourage her to do this. Then the elders could help her in accord with James 5:13-20. Happily, this is how matters worked out. Mary found that the sister had submitted to an abortion under much pressure and because of being spiritually weak. Shame and fear had moved her to conceal her sin, but she was glad to get help from the elders toward spiritual recovery.

If Mary had reported first to the body of elders, they would have been faced with a similar decision. How would they handle confidential information coming into their possession? They would have had to make a decision based on what they felt Jehovah and his Word required of them as shepherds of the flock. If the report involved a baptized Christian who was actively associated with the congregation, they would have had to weigh the evidence as did Mary in determining if they should proceed further. If they decided that there was a strong possibility that a condition of “leaven” existed in the congregation, they might have chosen to assign a judicial committee to look into the matter. (Galatians 5:9, 10) If the one under suspicion had, in effect, resigned from being a member, not having attended any meetings for some time and not identifying herself as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, they might choose to let the matter rest until such time as she did begin to identify herself again as a Witness.

WT 9/1/87

• trueblue
    trueblue

What I think they would do if someone had confidential medical records would report it to the elders and the elders would gradually ask questions in routine conversations until they thought that they had enough evidents to confront the accused without the accused knowing where the information actually come from or they would come up with something else to DF the accused for and burn the imaginary witch one way or another.

One time I moved, got another job and never left them a forewarding address so I could settle in my new job and the new city before I would go and meet the ones at my new KH. They sent people looking for me and followed me to work and scared the crap out of my new employers.

• trueblue
    trueblue

BTTT: How did they know where I went to work? It could have been the gal that has exsess to the computer at the law firm.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This isn't a cutsey topic. Serious felonies are involved. Hospital and medical records are inviolate. The "spys" should pay punitive fines and sit in prison. A local mailman recently told the apartment complex where I live what was on the face of envelopes. It is conspiracy to commit a felony and a felony. This is further proof that JWs live in la la land. See if the WTBTS will protect them in prison.

I would never, ever reveal confidential information. Perhaps I might discuss an area I am researching but never with any remotely near idenitfying information. First, it is morally wrong. Second, there are a host of legal wrongs. Security markets could be compromised. Industrial espionage does exist. When I was younger, lawyers would continue conversations in the public elevator. If I had money, I had several juicy tips from riding the elevator. It is wrong.

Further proof not to trust them with any policy info or serious info. I would love to have met these educated JWs b/c the vast majority in my case could not pass a general high school exam. Forget college prep. My congregation was most functionally illiterate. Public schools need to teach better civics. The GB may request but the GB is lawyered up. Denial would be the strategy. If I had knowledge of such activity, I would freely get in touch with the FBI or doctor.

• trueblue
    trueblue

Really, if a friend moved and did not leave me a forwarding address I would leave them alone...

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Thanks for the research Auzzie OZ on the "official stand" of Jehovah's Witness revealing confidential data, per the WTBTS Governing body:

"True, it is illegal in many countries to disclose to unauthorized ones what is found in private records. But if a Christian feels, after prayerful consideration, that he is facing a situation where the law of God required him to report what he knew despite the demands of lesser authorities, then that is a responsibility he accepts before Jehovah. There are times when a Christian “must obey God as ruler rather than men.”—Acts 5:29. While oaths or solemn promises should never be taken lightly, there may be times when promises required by men are in conflict with the requirement that we render exclusive devotion to our God."

No doubt, if caught and fired, or arrested, many JWs would feel they were being persecuted for "righteousness sake" by Satans World.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Let me get this straight, Balaamsass -

You REALLY think that the WTBTS has a "spy network" of witnesses working for hospitals, the I.R.S., or the F.B.I. who they call at various times to SPY on stuff and get insider information - maybe even change the policy of those organizations???

Really?

I am highly skeptical that this could possibly be true.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Hi James,

Not a paid formal network like the CIA or KGB, but JW "contacts" who work at a number of U.S. Agencies. This is not a belief, but was a fact when I was at Bethel. It WAS the reason JWs stopped asking for specific amounts of money at the door for Magazines and instead started saying "Donations". I heard about the change and the information by a member of the Governing BodyBEFORE it was instituted. The players I knew are retired and dead now. Back then underground countries used a "mail drop" as well. So I was curious as to what current status was and if anyone on this site was more current. With the expansion and sophistication of the IT and legal departments I would expect this to have become more sophisticated over time, not less.

Religious and patriotic "DUTY" are very strong motivators and have been driving forces for FREE information gleaning for thousands of years.

I had a very close relative (not a JW) ex- military, electronics Company executive who for years traveled to East Bloc countries for his employer. He and his employer gladly provided US agencies information and assistance gratis. He had quite the eclectic assortment of "people" at his backyard BBQs upon return from trips to the East Bloc. Most countries do this. Isreal is the most adept with this because of the wide dispersion of patriotic/religious Jews who "help" for free. VERY common.

The medical records thing is simply the result of a small percentage of "fervent sisters" at medical facilities calling local C.O.s.- NOT organized.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Not a paid formal network like the CIA or KGB, but JW "contacts" who work at a number of U.S. Agencies. This is not a belief, but was a fact when I was at Bethel. It WAS the reason JWs stopped asking for specific amounts of money at the door for Magazines and instead started saying "Donations".

They quit selling literature for a price at the door because they were afraid they would have to pay sales tax. They even joined a law suit with another evangalist over the issue. It was a public tax policy issue - not a result of spooky secret agents embedded as spies in the government.

I am afraid that you are letting your imagination (and perhaps some people you have talked to) run away with you.

No offense meant, but reality is sometimes not as much fun as rumor and innuendo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit