Any updates on the SPY network at the I.R.S., F.B.I., and other agencies for Watchtower Bible and Tract Society?

by Balaamsass 91 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Curious, with almost 25,000 members here. network of J.W. Does anyone have any up to date info on the status of the volunteer "Spies"?

When I served at Bethel the Governing Body had direct telephone access to a number of loyal J.W.s who held jobs at various government agencies who served as sources of information and in some cases could internally "lobby"or "fix" things for them.

I also briefly knew a middle aged single brother, a Gilead Grad, who lived out of cheap hotels traveling around the country doing the GBs bidding. Sometimes he would just "visit a hall" for a week sit in the back, watch and turn in a report. He always told JWs he was "in town for a week for work". He would go out in service a little midweek to "get all the gossip from the pioneer sisters". Indicated he checked out Circuit Overssers and Apostate Elders. He was very introverted, quiet & bottled up. Looked like he was ready for a breakdown. Said he hated his job, and had no life, or friends. He showed up one day...was around for a couple of months and disappeared. Never saw or heard from him again. Almost handsome, certainly not a James Bond but I could see the mid-week sisters inviting him to lunch..:).

The BIG issue at the time was an IRS investigation into non-profit status of many US Religions & TV "ministries" J.W.s were targeted. (The government is ALWAYS looking for $$ and the WTBTS is ALWAYS looking to keep $$). Well it just so happened the IRS unit investigating CHURCHES had a secretary who was a JW. Every new development in the investigation was relayed to the Governing Body (She typed them). They had a LONG lead time to stop Charging for magazines at the door. Did you really think that change was because of "New Light from God" ? The wife of a Governing Body member I worked with for a while told me about it, when her husband came by for coffee, he confirmed it with a big "Cat ate the Canary smile". He went on to brag about how hundreds of brothers and sisters worked at All kinds of government agencies from secretarys and clerks to management, and had private Governing Body phone numbers to call with any "new developments" affecting the Society. Some were just "sisters who were "well placed & well liked" secretaries whose "first loyalty was to God" Everyone just grinned..."Theocratic strategic warfare" There was even one brother who was on a Secret Lockhead project- area 51 stuff.!!....... Now I find it creepy..like the famous volunteer Mossad..just without guns..(I hope.... since I have dared to question them I am now a "mentally diseased APOSTATE worthy of death ").

A few years ago a local sister who is a friend and paralegal married a Bethelite and moved there. I was astounded at how the legal department had mushroomed in size. And hundreds of attornies and para-legals do free "side work for the Society on weekends. Can you imagine a small lawfirm or D.A. going up against a billion dollar organization with dozens of free Attornies and "the D.A.s own secretarial staff being "loyal to God first" faxing private investigative work product every night to Bethel????? No wonder the Society has such a high win rate!

Updates anyone????

• Desilusionnee
    Desilusionnee

Waouh!! I don't know why...but it doesn't surprise me!

Hope to hear more about it.

Desi

• james_woods
    james_woods

Was his first name Johnny?

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

James, there was more than one. This was back in the 70s.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

When my father was at Bethel in the 1930s and 1940s, he was sent to far off congregations. He was billed as a Bethel presence to encourage the local KHS but, in reality, he was sent to perceived troubled KHs to spy on them and report back. He had no doctrinal skills that were special. If he was delayed and missed curfew, he rode the subways all night until the doors opened in the am.

I thought working for the government was a no-no. How you can be neutral when your paycheck comes from illicit authority. I find it hard to believe that one could get a high security clearance and be an active Witness. A group that opposes law and goes to prison rather than serve, that looks for the destruction of the United States, is not likely to win trust. Also, these groups are collegial. How does a Witness fit in? I can just see someone getting ahead by discussing FS instead of sports. Witnessing would be a no no at work. FBI clearance forms are extensive and the FBI does check the info. Someone would have to be deep undercover. It seems improbable. Of course, there is the theocratic warfare exception.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Hi Band on the run,

Only "agents " have to take the full monty background. These agencies have tons of "Civilian" staff. As long as the agency is not deemed " Full on Military" it is A OK for a JW to have employment there. So all the permutations of Justice department, Treasury, and Congress is OK. Some argument over the Coast Guard. The Oath is the same as the one at the Post Office & passport which the GB OKd in the 60s ( They like to travel.. !). The background is EASY for most JWs to pass. Finger print check. No drugs, or convictions. Arrests must be fully explained. Piss test. High School Grad. Read and write clearly. Civil service exam.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Federal lawyers must pass exhaustive FBI checks. A friend of mine was hired for the Humans Rights Division of the State Department. He had to find a job at the last minute clerking for a federal judge back home. It took more than two years for his clearance to arrive. Sorry, I don't see JWs serving at any level where they could have an impact on policy. Reporting govt. info would be a federal crime. I recall a Jewish American with access to secret info that passed it on to Israel. He felt a moral duty. The feds recognized no moral duty and he is prob. still sitting in a federal pen.

Witnesses lack the education to make policy. There is also an old boys network at varous agencies. Being a JW would exclude you. Perhaps it was my experience with inner city brothers but the brothers I knew would not understand the ramifications of policies to know what the report. If the WTBTs encouraged them, there would be a conspiracy. It would be a felony.

I can see Witnesses thinking they are spying. Why should these darling few enjoy civil service stature and most JWs be denied? Spying for the WT is a very serious allegation. My hunch is based on the culture I experienced. Perhaps times are different now. Maybe more affluent JWs can function in the world.

I fear the security clearance. It is not automatic. They can't reject JWs as JWs but I can never see them being accepted with secrets.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Hi Band on the run,

Without giving any identifiers, I worked for a Government Agency in the past and I know lots of J.W.s who also have. I also had a High Level security clearance, as did a number of other J.W.s. I NEVER passed along any info., nor was I in a position too. Nevertheless, I know for a fact first hand from a governing body member while I served at Bethel, WTBS was warned of IRS and other investigations from Federal Employees that resulted in major organizational changes. I know J.W.s who are attorneys... obviously, they attended college. There are attorneys at Bethel. There was a Doctor (Dickson) at Bethel. Dentist. CPAs. Chiropractors, Etc. I have known many J.W.s with college degrees, although because of WTBS teachings there is a much lower percentage of educated J.W.S compared to the general population. Some ignored the GB as kids, or attended College P/T for years as adults to get an education.

Peace

• trueblue
    trueblue

I went out in field service one time and we went to a jail to deliver a bible a jailmate had requested, I went in the jail with an elder and the Sheriff's office secratary told us that the inmate had been transfered somewhere else and the information were he was moved to was confidential. When we got back to the van one of the so called sisters said she would look that up on the computer where she works and find out were he is (she works for a law firm)

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Well, this is all very interesting, but, I work for the government and I have never disclosed private personal information.

I remember an Elder mentioning to me about an Employee who worked at a Hotel, that wasn't on the Soc. approved list. It was very convienient, because it was situated right next to the Convention. This employee was asked to disclose the names of the ones who stayed at that hotel, so that if any were found out to be Elders, or MS's they would lose their positions.

I was appalled at that. I told that Elder that I was shocked to hear about that, and that I would never go against a sworn oath and disclose such information. I was shocked that the Society endorsed this kind of spying

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit