Further proof of no real message in OCCUPY

by free2beme 229 Replies latest jw friends

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

First, do you seriously believe that the Occupy movement is about protesting rich people and Jews?

Bizzy,

First, see my above post with clips regarding the anti-semitic viewpoints. I don't believe all of them are there protesting Jews, but there is an element who has been welcomed to the OWS movement who clearly are racist Jew haters.

Second, yes, many of the protestors are protesting rich people, rich corporations, and banks. I'm not saying some of them don't have good points, I'm saying they don't have a clear message.

Third, you didn't address my question posed to you in response to your assertion that the protests have been effective. How do you define effective?

by the way bizzy, I haven't had an opportunity to mix it up with you for a while....I hope you are doing well.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

How do you define effective?

This is effectively bad for Democrats. Kind of hard for Obama to tout his economic record or build a recovery narrative when we have masses of people camping in parks all over the country and complaining about economic conditions.

• botchtowersociety
  • BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Wrong thread, botch.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Thanks. Moving it.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Drew,

I viewed the clips you posted and I see a small handful of people taking advantage of the OWS movement to express anti-semitic views (and others expressing anti-Israel views, which are not the same thing). I don't see how that tiny sample can define a movement which, as yet, does not have a single, unifying, articulated message.

The accusation that the OWS movement is "against rich people" is an attempt by those on the right to infantilize and trivialize the movement. It can be very effective with people who are ill-informed, so I expect to see it continue to dominate the right-wing's POV. But I don't think a world-wide movement, that is growing in numbers daily, can be dismissed so easily.

I joined the protestors here locally last Saturday - out of about two hundred of us, there was zero evidence of anti-semitism or anti-rich. I stood on the sidewalk with a lovely, properous-looking couple in their eighties whose signs indicated their concern about the wars and lack of jobs - for their grandchildren. They didn't understand why everyone wasn't out there with us.

The message is clear to those who are knowledgeable of current events in the context of history. As for the others, I'd say, the movement is effective at getting their attention. Specifics will come in due time.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    I don't see how that tiny sample can define a movement which, as yet, does not have a single, unifying, articulated message.

But you and yours had no problem doing the same regarding the Tea Party 2 years ago.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Are your referring to this?:

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

HOw about this, bizzy that you posted a year ago? Where is your outrage at the OWS protests? Or have you had a change of heart?

Post 4806 of 7672
    Since 1/9/2006

ADGRPID:|SERVTYPE:

This is outrageous. How must Americans of Jewish heritage feel?

Finally, teabaggers, have you no sense of decency?

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

LOL!

You can find tons of stuff in her post history. I remember it well.

For many of those at OWS that don't get it, this graphic describes a large part of the problem more succinctly than I have ever seen it done before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit