Further proof of no real message in OCCUPY

by free2beme 229 Replies latest jw friends

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

The OWS forum is a joke. These people can't agree on anything regarding a message (and only the Ronulans make any sense ).

• i_drank_the_wine
    i_drank_the_wine

free2beme - get a tampon bro!

• free2beme
    free2beme

So, no counter points. Just saying I am a hater, etc. Sounds like the (not) message of the OCCUPY movement. A movement that is becoming a punch line, and completely ignored. They do not represent the 99%, they represent the .0002%. Please don't speak for me OCCUPY, I know how to think for myself and am not a wannabe hippie.

• NewChapter
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am a proud liberal! Within the new few weeks, I am going to Wall Street to show my solidarity. I pray that some concerted effort can be brought so that ordinary Americans have a voice. I worked for investment banks and large corporations as a lawyer. Indeed, I dined well at Lehman Brothers in utter luxury. I also worked for a United States Senator. This country is run by a small coterie of moneyed interests. The middle class, the working class, and certainly the poor don't stand a chance. I never did anything against my beliefs. Ordinary folk don't know how to relentless lobby on behalf of their interests.

Corporations are repeat players. Their very frequency in courts and at conference tables, writing large checks to politicians, access to media, lobbying Congress creates an unlevel playing field. They have resources Average Joe does not have. I never saw them break or flaunt the law. They don't have to do so b/c they write the laws. The bargaining power of unions was once a check. I am a Blue Dog Democrat. Compared to college, I have moved to the right considerably.

Their mere presence at Wall Street and in cities around the globe is their message. It is called symbolic speech. They are being heard by policy makers more than if they had a polished, 5,000 page detailed plan. The whole world is watching.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL, you know what makes me giggle Free? That conservatives refuse to accept the stated purposes of OW. It just irritates the hell out of you that they don't state their message in the conservative way. The liberal tent has always been a thousand time bigger than that tiny conservative tent. We are used to many viewpoints. We have never locked shoulders and marched the same route. And we are perfectly comfortable that way. So there are many messages yes---but there are some main points that all agree on. It's too bad that makes you so uncomfortable. Too bad that conservatives follow their masters so well. But they aren't going away-no matter what your opinion is. LOL

LEGALIZE IT!

NC

• free2beme
    free2beme

Hey, if those jobless hippies feel better living in filth and being wannabe hippies. Let them! But a lot of people are laughing at them and thinking they are complete idiots. Just make sure you use all those evil corporation tools, to organize your love fest.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Laugh away. Stereotype them if you wish. Don't take them seriously. We didn't take the tea party seriously, and we learned our lesson. They went on to f**k things up more than we thought possible. So it's to their advantage that you don't take them seriously. It must be very aggravating that you don't get to make up the rules of someone else's protest. There is no sense in trying to explain to you what this is all about, because we already know it's useless. But they aren't going away. And they don't care what you think of them.

NC

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Excuse me. I was an authentic hippie, attending Woodstock, wearing hippie beads, travelling to antiwar demos across the country. Next, I was a corporate lawyer representing investment banks and large corporations. There are more Democrats on Wall Street than authentic Republicans. It was different decades ago. There were more moderate Republicans who standard bearer was Nelson Rockefeller. The social conservatives take over of the GOP caused a mass exodus to the Dems.

You perceive what I think is a cartoon version, popularized by TV, of how this country works and who believes in what. I am an enormous Beatles fan yet I also have opera and ballet subscriptions. The world is nuanced with many shades of grey. It is not black and white. Democratic candidates raise enormous amounts of cash from the financial district crowd. The bankers, not the clerical workers.

Poor people are just as moral as a ceo. In fact,......... The antiwar movement was a very large umbrella, as well as the civil rights movement. We pulled out of Viet Nam and Jim Crow laws are history now.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

I'm very conservative, but I am all for people protesting. The Wall Street protestors, though, do not have a message. There is no clear, understandable message they are articulating. It's an amalgam of viewpoints and isn't really effetive.

Actually, many of them have more in common with the tea party than a lot of people seem to think. The tea-party doesn't like government intervention, and basically developed in response to Obamacare and TARP and the bail outs. The Wall Street protestors may be in favor of Obamacare, but many seem to be opposed to the TARP and the bank and automaker bail outs. Just like the tea party.

Their biggest problem is they've attracted a bunch of people who have their own fringe agendas they are trying to pursue. From anti-semetic rhetoric to legalizing marijuana to animal rights activism, they are offering no solutions, and all the differing views being shouted are just creating confusion and no focus.

I wonder how many of the occupiers actually pay income taxes themselves. Is there data on that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit