Victoria, Australia: Report on Oct. 11th hearing involving Steven Unthank

by AndersonsInfo 156 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

the Wtchtower Org. is very good at invisibility they made the arrival of Jesus invisible they made previous generations invisible by changing the concept of the meaning of a generation and now The Christian Congregation of JWs in Aus. never existed it was a concept so they claim.

They put the Con in concept, me thinks it's good we can see through their alterations.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Though it's not on the books as such"Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses" in Austrailia, family tree points to the GB as head of " all world wide"

Crown Court will prosecute, person, group, corporation, unincorporated ......will be interesting to see who GB let's take the fall......the brothers in Austrialia, BG, or FDS....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporations_of_Jehovah's_Witnesses

Also fron another JWN thread:

Many members of the religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and their families, are now demanding the immediate resignation or removal of the entire Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses and the entire Board of Directors of the Watch Tower Society as well as the forming of church-based Judicial Committees in relation to these serious child abuse charges. This has been made even more urgent by the fact that every charge is an indictable criminal offence, with the victim being a child, and every alleged perpetrator being a current church elder holding a position of responsibility within the religion.

In commenting on the filing of the criminal charges in the Magistrates’ Court today, Mr Steven Unthank has released the following personal statement

“The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Watch Tower Society knew about these child protection laws and refused to comply from the outset. They were notified well before the laws were made compulsory for “religious organisations.”

“They ignored the counsel and the need to comply. They were then warned that they could face criminal charges. They did nothing about it and nothing to protect the children and nothing to protect the name and reputation of the church.

“Even the Department of Justice notified them and offered to assist them in complying with mandatory child safety laws. This included an offer to conduct training and information sessions. The State Government had previously waived all the fees so that the religion could comply without a financial burden to anyone. The Governing Body and the Watch Tower Society completely ignored the offer of help.

“Again they were informed that they were still facing imminent charges and were given an opportunity to sort the matter out. They refused mediation.

“They were also given the opportunity to have the complaints of serious wrongdoing and allegations of breaches of child protection laws heard within the church format under the religious category of “sins”. They refused to even conduct an initial investigation to establish whether there is substance to the report and whether evidence is available showing that a serious sin actually has been committed.

“So now the complaints will be heard under the Criminal Code as indictable “crimes”. This was approved following an initial investigation by the Department of Justice to establish whether there is substance to the report and whether evidence is available showing that an indictable crime may have actually been committed.

“Why they never contacted the one complaining against them at law to settle the matter quickly while they were on the way to court is serious cause for alarm. To contact the “complainant” before he officially becomes the “informant” is church doctrine and a religious obligation. To sort out a dispute before it gets to court is not negotiable within the church format. It must be done. If absolutely no attempt is made, then the accused loses all rights of objection to having been charged with an offence under criminal law.

“The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Watch Tower Society outright refused to follow their very own procedures. They now have only have themselves to blame. You reap what you sow.

“These men are no longer free from accusation and neither do they have a fine testimony even from people on the outside of the congregation. They are no longer blameless.

“As of 31 March 2011, 738,563 adults from all walks of life within the Victorian community have formally complied with the Working with Children laws and undergone child safety checks to verify that they are not convicted criminals, so that they can continue their duties within the organisations they work or volunteer in and where children are present.

“The Victorian community will not tolerate any religious organisation that refuses to comply with mandatory child protection laws with claims that their church elders and officers are exempt from child protection laws. They are not and any claim of being “exempt”, regardless of who issued that claim, is an outright lie. The Department of Justice has not issued any exemption to any religious organisation. These child protection laws apply to “religious organisations” by default.

“Children form part of every congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Elders are appointed by the Committee of Management for the Religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses as overseers in each congregation. As overseers they are continually instructed that part of their Internal Ministry involves shepherding the children and being available to assist children, help children, mentor children, and to encourage children to join the the local congregations Ministry School as a student. This is called working with children.

“The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Watch Tower society have refused to comply with legal requirements in relation to the activities of their appointed corporate officers and representatives and elders. For refusing to comply they have been criminally charged under corporate law literally in relation to their activities as corporate officers of a “religious organisation.”

“This has never had anything to do with preaching activities and the preaching work of the members of the religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Those activities are protected under freedom of religion. The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Watch Tower Society have always been made aware of this undisputed fact.

“They ignored the counsel and as a result have been charged with criminal offences. You can’t undo being charged. You can’t hide being charged. You can’t deny being charged. Once charged with committing criminal offences against children always charged. This is child abuse. Negligent child abuse that has resulted in being charged with the committing of indictable criminal offences against children.

“These men are no longer irreprehensible. They refused to protect the children and the church. They abandoned the congregation and the children.

“And now that they’re held accountable will they be the loudest to scream violations of human rights and freedom of religion and religious persecution?

“Not likely! Corporations do not have human rights. Only humans have human rights. Freedom of Religion only applies to humans. It does not apply to corporations or unincorporated bodies and associations. And as for any claim of Religious Persecution–being held accountable for the committing of criminal offences against children can hardly be the basis for one’s claim of being persecuted.

“It’s time for these men to be removed from their office of overseer. They themselves have gone on record and said that “anyone in a responsible position who is guilty of child abuse would be removed from his responsibilities without hesitation.”

“It’s time for their own removal. Or will they have themselves declared righteous and claim that they are exempt from their own rules they enforce within the congregation?

“A ten point Special Resolution was presented earlier this year to the Voting Members of the Watch Tower Society for adoption. The resolution appears on page 589 of the 664 page Religious Manifesto entitled “A Submission”.

“This Religious Manifesto, which provides damning evidence of the breadth and scope of criminal activities being committed within the religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Australia, is the very same document that was thoroughly reviewed by the Department of Justice before the Chief Magistrate authorised the filing of criminal charges against the entire Committee of Management for the Religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses, namely the entire worldwide religious and corporate hierarchy of the church of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Sorry to be a pain, however, don't know if anyone has seen this on Facebook! "More" info about the case......

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=208372889198519

http://www.facebook.com/jwnews

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Sizemik, The simple fact is that so far there is nothing for the mainstream media to report about this case. Once something happens (ie, a trial begins in the Supreme Court) then there is the possibility of coverage. Though the machinations of the WTS may be of interest to us, they don't excite the interest of newspaper editors.

I understand all that Mr M . . . perhaps my question came across a bit obscure.

As I understand it, a guilty plea to one charge, by one party, in exchange for the dropping of all others (as you suggest), may see this case decided without going beyond the Magistrates Court as no trial would be necessary.

My question related specifically as to whether a conviction in the Magistrates Court would be newsworthy . . . as I suspect a discharge without conviction would barely cause a flutter. Being closer to local Media in Aussie . . . I was interested in your opinion. But that's OK . . . I can wait.

• wobble
    wobble

I think we need to wait until the case is over before anything is pushed toward the media. The attention span of the media is as short as that of the public they serve, one bite of the cherry is all we will get.

The legal profession here in the U.K has a fascination with arcane rulings and strange cases from all around the world, we should at least be able to get a small article or two in some of their more light hearted publications,which may do some good.

Mainstream media too, loves to have a wacky story to tell, so maybe by majoring on the more bizarre aspects of this case we can raise some interest, at least that will have the effect of showing the cult for what it is, bat-shit crazy.

But timing is of the essence.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Can i also ask, what power does the Australian legal system have to convict each member of the governing body as criminals? These men are not in Australia's jurisdiction so how will this work?

As I understand it, Jackson is an Australian; he may wish to visit home someday.

George

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

My question related specifically as to whether a conviction in the Magistrates Court would be newsworthy . . . as I suspect a discharge without conviction would barely cause a flutter.

As far as Steven has explained it, the case can't be decided in the Magistrates Court, but must go to the Supreme Court, but I'm really not sure of the process now to get it there! It may be as simple as the magistrate at the next hearing bumping it up there. But I would expect that a conviction would earn a few paragraphs in the Herald Sun or The Age. Then again, if it was all handled smoothly in court, it could go unreported. A lot of court cases take place every day and few of them are reported.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Thanks Mr M . . . that'll do me . . .

As you can guess . . . I'm farming reasons for optimism.

• Violia
    Violia

Even if the only thing that comes of this is the wts is forced to comply with laws to protect children- that is still a very big thing. Those living in Australia hopefully can get it some press. Exposure of this will help the case . Just thinking of this being discussed on the 6pm news makes me smile. Not only that , by complying with the government regulations in this way, the courts may then have some basis to see the records of the wts, and I guess I am dreaming but I can't help but think of the "LIST".

I have been following this case that has made it to the supreme court in the USA. A teacher is fired by a Lutheran school and the school claims church state separation. They say that a brother should not take a brother to court and she has violated their church tenants. Not really, b/c she is disabled and then fired. I think this will have consequences for the wts. Here is the link.

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/cautious-optimism-after-supreme-court-hears-oral-arguments-in-hosanna-tabor/

• Band on the Run

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit