Victoria, Australia: Report on Oct. 11th hearing involving Steven Unthank

by AndersonsInfo 156 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• sizemik
    sizemik

. . . and a discharge without conviction on the guilty plea?

advising that its previous negligence had been based on an erroneous understanding of the law

I suspect he may need to prove that rather then simply advise . . . they were advised and offered assistance by the state on a number of occasions. It will take more than a wave of the hand I would hope . . . ignorance of the law has never been a successful criminal defence. Added to that, with his previous Media statements . . . he will have a few details to explain.

A discharge without conviction would certainly validate your estimation of Vince Toole Mr M.

But it is a very real possibility.

Revenge? . . . from a true Christian? . . . surely that would never happen LOL

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

If he gets the WTS of Australia to plead guilty, they'll be fined or discharged and that would satisfy the DPP. Wasn't the reason Steven named so many defendants so that they couldn't just slip out of the net? He has covered pretty well all the bases; he needs the organisation to be found guilty and change its ways; he doesn't need every defendant to be found guilty.

Defendants are often charged with numerous offences and in the end all but one charge is dropped as long as the state gets a conviction with a guilty plea on that one. What's to stop the DPP just saying, "Yeah, we'll drop all charges against all but one organisation as long as you plead guilty and save us all the grief."

• Shrugged
    Shrugged

But wy on earth havn´t the Australian goverment act against the WBTS until Steven brought this up to them?

My understanding is that it is a criminal offence NOT to comply with this law. Was the goverment blind, lazy or just didn´t care?

• sizemik
    sizemik

My concern is that a guilty plea and undertaking to conform could well result in a discharge without conviction during sentencing with a probationary period tacked on. That would be best case scenario for WT from here I suspect . . . and with conformation to the Act already taking place, quite likely their aim. No convictions at all would be a fizzer unfortunately.

Surely even one conviction would be enough for some Media attention Mr M? . . . what do you think?

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

JW's lose their lives through fear of the consequences of accepting a blood transfusion & displeasing Jehovah such as Borg approved shuning from family & other JW's, disfellowshipping & public reproof etc.

Some of our dear brothers & sisters suffer dreadful torture & death through remaining faithful to the 'God given' instructions from the FDS/GB.

Yet the Borg is willing to deny the existence of the FDS to get a legal angle in this casee

'Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly but are full of dead men's bones, and all manner of uncleanness'.

• metatron
    metatron

This illustrates the point I keep emphasing: Watchtower legal resources are limited, although competent. They can't predict every problem or challenge across an entire globe full of different legal systems and nations.

Furthermore, as American hegemony declines, they will find themselves fighting more battles that pressure them to conform in countless nations. It's really rather disgusting how parasitic they have been in riding on the coattails of US style human rights standards.

metatron

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    My understanding is that it is a criminal offence NOT to comply with this law. Was the goverment blind, lazy or just didn´t care?

All the above? You have to realise Australia isn't as legalistic as the USA is. We don't go around sueing people willy nilly. The courts are already clogged with serious cases such as rapes, murders, etc.

The Govt is not going to be out looking for organisations to prosecute - they rely on either the organisation to make a huge stuff-up which will bring them to the attention of the legal system, or if someone "dobs them in" (informs on the wrongdoer).

In this case, Steve Unthank has been the "dobber" and as the safety of children is an important issue, the legal system has seen fit to look into the case.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I notice American media seems obsessed with religious and state topics. Pedophilia topics bring huge ratings. Sometimes I wonder if it is some sort of voyeurism. I would not expect a lengthy analysis, a New Yorker or Vanity Fair long article, but I would think the consequences for Australians, in general, would find short articles. This case is fascinating. Has anyone checked Australian legal periodicals? Besides the church/state free exercise of religion vs. the well accepted notion that the state has a very compelling interest in protecting children from sexual predators, the notion of Uthank, a regular individual with no legal training, goes against a monolithic, international religion with great holdings, and won the war. Regardless of how the case progresses, elders are now directed to comply. It sounds interesting to me.

• DT
    DT

It appears that Vincent Toole has disassociated himself by denying the existence of the Faithful and Discreet Slave. It could even be argued that he has commited the unforgiveable sin according to Watchtower standards. If the governing body allows him to continue working on this case, then that could be seen as the entire governing body disassociating themselves.

If there are some elders who claim to be of the annointed in Australia, it might be appropriate to charge them individually. In addition to their position as elders they are also supposed to be helping to direct the entire organization, so they have extra culpability.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

DT: You raise valid points concerning the GROSS HYPOCRISY of the GB and their henchman, VToole. However, they have never been bothered by any hypocrisy on their part at any time in the past, so I doubt their consciences will suddenly kick-in now.

Now if you or I did that .... well I think we all know where THAT would lead!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit