Stupid suggestion from Study Conductor

by roxanesophia 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    More updates: She came around to talk to me all about the convention.
    How it was the "greatest one ever", how I "really missed out", how "new light" was revealed.

The "New Light" Was..

What did the Toes on a Statue mean?..

Answer:"Nothing"..

Yep thats right..Nothing..

The greatest Convention ever..Was about nothing..

You could have spent an entire weekend to find that out..

Your studying with someone who has the Brain Power of a Dried Pecan Nut..

http://www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages/353792-3976-40.jpg

........................ ...OUTLAW

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hello again, Roxanne! Here are a few websites that might give you further information on past, failed prophecies about when "Armageddon" will come... [If anyone else has already posted these links, then I apoligize for the overlap! Hee hee hee... "Overlap"... get it?]

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1975.php

This one's somewhat old, but it refers to Judge Rutherford and his high-living lifestyle off of the Bethelites and generally poor Jehovah's Witnesses - and his paranoia over the possibility of Japanese invasion during WWII...

http://www.seanet.com/~raines/bethshan.html

This one is a professor's initial research on the Jehovah's Witnesses - I believe he was going to write a scholarly book about them...

http://www.unc.edu/~elliott/

This may be of interest to you - it's a DICTIONARY of Jehovah's Witness terms - tho I don't know how complete it is...

http://cftf.com/dictionary/

FINALLY!!!! THIS is what I was looking for!!! This list includes some of the Watchtower Society's "Armageddon" dates, but more interestingly, it shows how many "End Time" dates have been set DOWN THROUGHOUT HISTORY by various "Doomsday" religions... You might find it useful and informative...

http://www.bible.ca/pre-date-setters.htm

Hope this helps...

Zid

• cofty
    cofty

Well done roxanesophia for standing up to your manipulative study conductor.

You will get pestered for a while, that is to be expected. I strongly suggest you don't get involved in trying to debate the errors of the borg with them. Just firmly stand your ground and refuse to negotiate. Let us know how it goes.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    She came around to talk to me all about the convention.

You have to take control of the conversation.

She doesn't get to choose the the topic. You do.

Don't waste the time she spends with you. Pick a subject she doesn't like and refuse to let her talk about anything else.

The topics that you want to talk about are the topics she doesn't want to talk about. The more she want to avoid a subject, the more devious she becomes, the more you want to talk about that subject.

If she gets devious ...... accuse her of whatever tactic she used. Act offended that she tried to fool you, lie to you, tried to cast aspersions on your motives or character, or whatever else she might try. Shove it in her face and make her feel GUILTY.

• roxanesophia
    roxanesophia

"'New light' = new revealed 'truth.' Often it's been found that 'new light' is rehashed 'old light' that was temporarily discarded in favor of 'newer light' but which has then been discovered not to be 'light' after all. You follow? ;-)"

Haha, yeah I'm with ya... and like all things JW it's ridiculous. Truth is truth is truth! It never becomes not truth, a lie is always a lie, if YOU follow ;-)

"The path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established"

Ah! yes! They have mentioned this to me before as if the flip flops are entirely justifiable because of it. But the scripture has nothing to do with doctrine changes when it's read in context, does it?

" Watch Tower publications also say that unfulfilled expectations are partly due to eagerness for God's Kingdom "

I've heard that one before, too! I could almost have bought it, until I researched it more and they were claiming them as definite prophecies. Thats when i knew God had nothing to do with the org, because there's a scripture about if something doesn't come to pass, the prophet is a liar. Plus, it makes the watchtower look no different to nutcases like Harold Camping. I've heard witnesses mocking him and his doomsday predictions, too. How ironic.

LOL punkofnice, i love the art. And it's true, every one of them is ALWAYS better than the last.

I'd just love to hear one of them say "It was the most boring shit I ever sat through."

"You should ask her if she can name three things she does not like about Jehovah's Witnesses. If she can't, she's in a cult."

That's such an excellent question. So far she has nothing but positive things to say. Even saying "If you're out in a restaurant, and there's a table of witnesses, they're always the happiest people in the room." Apparently no human on earth's happiness can compare to the happiness of a Jehovah's Witness.

"What did the Toes on a Statue mean?..

Answer:"Nothing"..

LOL, exactly. She said there wasn't enough time (what, in 3 days!?) for the speaker to go into it, but it was the weakened anglo american power. I brought up something i learned about revelation, implying the witnesses have it wrong, and she snapped "DON'T listen to other people! They don't even know the Bible."

Thanks so much for all the links, ziddina. Amazing how much to this corrupt organization there really is.

" Shove it in her face and make her feel GUILTY."

Yeah, i was considering telling her I forgive her for wasting my time, filling me with false hope, teaching me the lies of a religion I almost became emotionally attached to, that she hasn't even bothered to research on her own, figuring that should plant a seed. I did tell her I am going to read the book Crisis of Conscience. She said "don't waste your time, you know it's the truth." (she stresses "you know it's the truth" a lot) So i said "If it's the truth, it'll stand on it's own, and the book will be proven to be rubbish. So there's no harm in me reading it." She's always telling me i obviously don't trust Jehovah enough to look after me when I'm door knocking, since I haven't done it, so I said "If I'm wrong to read this book as you say and it puts me on the broad road to destruction, I'm going to trust that Jehovah will direct me back to the narrow road, that you say is you."

But most of the time when I talk to her, I feel like I'm trying to hold water in my hands. She has an answer for everything and for some reason i always come out looking & feeling like the stupid one.

• roxanesophia
    roxanesophia

Oh,and sorry for the double post but i had to get this thought down before i forgot it and i can't edit my post...

The anglo-american power isn't even a reality, but an entirely fictious world power designed to fit watchtower prophecy???? Excuse my ignorance re: politics.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne
    But most of the time when I talk to her, I feel like I'm trying to hold water in my hands. She has an answer for everything and for some reason i always come out looking & feeling like the stupid one.

I think this is due to the real-time nature of conversation and the fact that some people are better at bullying than others. I bet if you had a chance to see her remarks in writing and took the time to analyze them, you would see that they are often fallacious. Sometimes it's hard to catch this stuff in real time.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

So i said "If it's the truth, it'll stand on it's own, and the book will be proven to be rubbish. So there's no harm in me reading it." She's always telling me i obviously don't trust Jehovah enough to look after me when I'm door knocking, since I haven't done it, so I said "If I'm wrong to read this book as you say and it puts me on the broad road to destruction, I'm going to trust that Jehovah will direct me back to the narrow road, that you say is you."

Excellent reply! You're doing well.

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

That reminds me of talking with my father.. lame excuse after lame excuse.. continuously changing the subject. In the end you realize that they will swallow any excuse the WTS offers, and that the same excuses just don't work for you anymore.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I can relate to that....the more I found out about the WTS and brought into the conversation...the more "support" they brought with them. Every week a new person came....A different angle...someone with more experience than the last. It became a battle...

And everytime I would 'feel' like I was in the wrong....or doing something wrong. Even though I knew they were wrong.

Every weapon came out....guilt (historically a biggie for me), fear, and bullying by ganging up.

It drove me so crazy in the end it was a relief to end the studies...although for a while I still clung to the belief that I had made some genuine friendships.

The last comment made to me by an elderly lady in the congregation as she left my home was...."If this isn't the truth, then I don't know where it is". This has to be one of the sadest things I have witnessed. Part of me wanted them to wake up to what they were doing...and part of me knew it was just too late for someone that had nothing else and was almost too old to do anything about it. So I wish them the best and hope they wake up at some point. But if not, I hope they are happy with how they have spent their lives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit