So.... was the movie "Aladdin" racist?

• wasblind
    wasblind

Gettin' back on topic, Aladdin had good vs evil

as most disney movies, it's up to each individual

about how the view each movie

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I just read the spoilers on Wiki, as I have absolutely no intention on watching the film, just not my lane. I have to say that simply from reading the plot and the spoilers, I'd be uncomfortable with my children(I dont have any btw) watching it, and that's definately and without a doubt the JW upbringing in me rearing its head, which could be a good or a bad thing, and I'm leaning more towards the good. For these reasons, taken from Wiki...... bolded parts are mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_and_the_Frog

The disinherited Prince Naveen, penniless and unskilled, is nevertheless intent on marrying a wealthy woman, rather than learning a trade. He and his valet Lawrence encounter Dr. Facilier, a voodoowitch doctor who convinces the pair that he can improve both their lives. Instead, Facilier transforms Naveen into a frog and gives Lawrence a voodoo charm, filled with Naveen's blood, which when worn transforms his appearance to that of Naveen's. Facilier intends for Lawrence, under the guise of Naveen, to marry Charlotte in order to gain access to her father’s fortune.
    Lawrence later proposes to Charlotte, who happily agrees, but soon the magic in Facilier's charm wears off and Lawrence reverts to his original form. Facilier tells Lawrence they need another sample of the prince's blood in order to prolong the spell, but discovers that Lawrence had foolishly released him. Facilier turns to the voodoo gods for help, with the promise that once Lawrence marries Charlotte, he will have total control over New Orleans and will be able to offer the citizens' souls as payment. The voodoo gods give Facilier shadow demons, who are then dispatched to locate Naveen.
    The angered voodoo spirits claim Facilier himself as payment for his debts and drag him into hell.

Demons, spirits, people being dragged to hell, blood samples for voodoo charms, Mardi Gras..............is any of that appropriate for the children that Disney was targeting? What ever happened to Mickey Mouse? Grimm-esque fairy tales are pretty dark as it is, and Disney has always walked a fine line on that kind of material, even with Snow White, but This Princess/Frog movie is a bit much. I mean on one hand, demons don't bother me as Drag Me To Hell is a personal favorite of mine, but I think its inappropriate for children, and apparently Hollywood agrees with me, hence its rating being PG-13. On the other hand, The Princess and the Frog had similar themes, but due to it being animated, and also being a product of Disney, it was traditionally given its G rating, which I feel is also inappropriate. Should have been PG at the very least, considering its themes.

As far as the racism end of it, admittedly I haven't seen this film, and have no intention on seeing it, but I'm under the impression that some black women may be looking too far into it. Its the same ol white woman vs us mentality, running around taking our men. The so called princess recieving a bum and a restaurant, has replaced the 40 acres and a mule. By the way, what is Prince Naveen? Are light skinned dudes trying to make a comeback? Rick Fox and Al B.Sure must be behind this.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    but I'm under the impression that some black women may be looking too far into it.

Halleujah, there is a dog!!

what is Prince Naveen? Are light skinned dudes trying to make a comeback?

According to Shelby, he's a Brazillian. And not a Prince. Why she's got something against Brazillians I don't know.

• wasblind
    wasblind

BP, do you know for sure Shelby has something against brazillians?

you state this as a fact, what other things did she say in connections

to brazillians to make you state for a fact that she has something against

brazillians

• wasblind
    wasblind

BP you need to quit girl, your obsession with Shelby is showin.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Stillblind pined:

BP, do you know for sure Shelby has something against brazillians?

you state this as a fact, what other things did she say in connections

to brazillians to make you state for a fact that she has something against

brazillians

At the end of page 4, Shelby wrote:

They used a Brazilian actor to play the part so that they "prince" wasn't really "black" (i.e., African AMERICAN)... so, that might be where that came from in me. But even still, he was the stereotypical sweet-talking, good-looking, lazy, loser "cat"... looking to capitalize on a black woman. In the deep South. If that isn't stereotypical... and smack of racism... I'm not sure what is.

Sure sounds like ole Shel doesn't like dem Brazillians (and I ain't talking about the waxings )

• wasblind
    wasblind

BP, she said they used a brazillian actor so that the prince wasn't really black

i don't see anything in that post that shows where she has anything against brazillians

• wasblind
    wasblind

Justice would have been served if you were Casey Anthonys lawyer

with you defendin' her , her a** would be in jail today

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit