How many people watched "The Princess and the Frog?"

by garyneal 150 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Sorry to butt in

If Disney had given the film a different title.........maybe it could had stood up for itself and not been compared to previous "princess" roles?

Maybe?

Love ya all

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Yeah Shel, what do you have against Brazilians?

• watersprout
    watersprout
    Are you afraid that your long-held prejudices about white people might have to be changed?

WHAAAATTTT??? Seriously?? Shel definately doesn't have any prejudices against white people (the greatest love and peace to you Shel)... If she did she wouldn't treat me with the love she does... I'm soo white I glow in the dark!

Peace

• tec
    tec

Shelby has not given me the impression that she is racist, or that she hates brazilians (the people or the deed). I believe she simply feels slighted and cheated on this supposedly 'african american' redo of a traditionally white princess story.

Shelby, have you seen Cinderella, with Brandy? I haven't seen it, but perhaps that is a bit more along the lines what you would have been hoping for? Has anyone else seen it?

Peace,

Tammy

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

I have Tammy, shes drop dead gorgeous, and sings in the film too

• AGuest
    AGuest

Hooo-wee! Howdy, dear ones... and peace to you ALL: white, black, and Brazilian! Had to take a day off for company (and will be off after day -going on a vaca to MONTEREY - whoo-hooo!), but since I'm here TODAY:

Are you afraid that your long-held prejudices about white people might have to be changed? Is that such a huge threat for you?

Oh, c'mon - you're "talking" to me, BP. I OPENLY admit that I do have some prejudices again "some" white people. As well as some black people. And some men. And some women. And some Jews. And some Jehovahs Witnesses. And some Catholics. And I CERTAINLY have prejudice against... criminals such as pedophiles/child abusers, drug dealers, those who prey on the elderly, etc. And I have a LOT of prejudice... against racists. No matter what they're ilk. I HATED George Jefferson - he was NOT funny to me. I don't like that black comedians can make jokes about white people - it's the epitome of hypocritical to me. But my "prejudices" are based on what all of these people DO - not who or what they ARE (well, except maybe in the case of JWs... ).

The movie was, IMO, racist in that it was UNEQUAL and inequality was BASED ON RACE. BTW - Have you to read/seen "The Help", yet? Any plans to do so?

I'm under the impression that some black women may be looking too far into it.

I don't think you can make such a statement, dear RoosterMan (peace to you, as well!)... until you actually SEE the movie. You are only going by what is stated here, without actually knowing WHY it's being stated, so you don't know the BASIS for what is being said. See, the movie, dear one, then let us know what you think.

Its the same ol white woman vs us mentality, running around taking our men.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Okay, I'm laughing because... my best friend is a white woman married to a black man... and MY husband is Mexican! Dear, dear RoosterMan... I am going to say this with the greatest amount of respect that I can muster... and I absolutely mean NO disrespect but... they can HAVE "our" men! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! I don't even have that kind of an issue; in fact, I think the BEST thing for the entire human race is for us all to have interracial relationships... and thus, "mixed" children. I believe that THAT is one way to overcome prejudice and racism - mix 'em all up so that there is NO "pure" race... NO one can say/think, at least based on race", that're better than anyone else... or anyone else is less than. 'Cause everyone would be some kind of "mutt." It is pride and perceived superiority of race that leads to all this crud... so, no, uh-uh... you got the wrong one, here - BIG time!

BTW - I live in Oakland, CA. The black "capitol" of California. And my husband is Mexican - which is the predominant demographic here. And you know who gives me the greatest grief? Black MEN... and Mexican WOMEN. Oh, the looks! LOLOLOLOLOL! I've had to put both in their place on occasion, with looks BACK, if not actual words. Nope, dear one... you got the wrong one on that!

The so called princess recieving a bum and a restaurant, has replaced the 40 acres and a mule.

Well, yeah, sort of... seein' as we didn't get THAT promise, either...

By the way, what is Prince Naveen?

That's another point: what IS he, 'cause he ain't black/African American - ummmmm... for those who don't know, even Brazilians of African descent don't identify with African Americans. NO ONE else in the world does, for the most part. Those in Central America, the Caribbean, and South America consider themselves Hispanic FIRST. Which is why there's a separate race/ethinity box for THEM to check).

Are light skinned dudes trying to make a comeback?

What, like they ever went away?? Light-skinned equates to "good looking" for some folks (and, please, don't forget the "good" hair)... and Diznie is all about "good looking" for its princes and princesses.

If Disney had given the film a different title.........maybe it could had stood up for itself and not been compared to previous "princess" roles?

Perhaps, dear Pam (peace to you, too!)... but then it wouldn't have been the promised "princess" movie, at all. In title OR in fact. Look, I don't have a yearning to be a princess - I just wanted our little girls be able to have the same dream... if they WANTED to. According to the movie, "YOUR dream is to own your own business." Says WHO? Who says our little girls don't DREAM of being a "real" princess? Who says they CAN'T? Disney did.

Shelby, have you seen Cinderella, with Brandy?

I DID, dear tec (the greatest of love and peace to you, my dear!)... and I LOVED it! Okay, so the prince wasn't black, but the parents were white AND black. And so was the fairy godmother (yeah, at least this movie said "we" could have one of those, too! Whoo-hoo!).

You know, folks, I think that until you've been on the receiving end of racism... and I have... many, MANY times... you really can't say you even know what it "looks" like, REALLY. It's like saying you know what a tiger looks like... because you've only seen one on TV. But you've never seen one up close (indeed, you've never even been to the zoo!). You've never come across it's path and had it standing there... sometimes SO close you can feel its breath and smell the stench from its last kill still in its teeth, literally hear its breathing. What you see on TV is NOT the same as the experience of meeting a tiger face to face. On TV, they look exotic and "dangerous"... and you think, yeah, maybe you'd even go on safari one day.

Once you meet a tiger face to face, though... whether in its environment or, for some reason, in yours... and you KNOW its dangerous... not just that it LOOKS dangerous... then you can say that you know what a tiger truly looks like. And smells like. And sounds like. You will NEVER forget that experience... or the sight, sound, or smell. Ever. Even if you wanted to.

Dear, dear, dear Wuz... the greatest of love and peace to you... and don't you worry yourself about BP. She needs something to help her get up each day and, for many of them, I'm it. No worries - I truly don't mind being her reason for living... today. Tomorrow she might choose someone else (the RoosterMan, for example), but this time it's me. Well, I do aim to serve, so... anything I can do to make her life worth living... I up for it - LOLOLOLOL!

Peace, you chickens and roosters! You all don't have to agree with me on this. Again, for some, I neither expected (expected exactly what I got, actually), nor asked for (I mean, what would have been the point, really?).

SA, on her own...

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    I don't think you can make such a statement, dear RoosterMan (peace to you, as well!)... until you actually SEE the movie. You are only going by what is stated here, without actually knowing WHY it's being stated, so you don't know the BASIS for what is being said. See, the movie, dear one, then let us know what you think.

LOL, I tell you right now, the only way I'll see that movie is if its confirmed that Megatron makes a surprise appearance yelling, "Peace through tyranny!!", as he blasts everyone to oblivion and turns them into frog legs with his Fusion Cannon.

BTW - I live in Oakland, CA. The black "capitol" of California. And my husband is Mexican - which is the predominant demographic here. And you know who gives me the greatest grief? Black MEN... and Mexican WOMEN. Oh, the looks! LOLOLOLOLOL! I've had to put both in their place on occasion, with looks BACK, if not actual words. Nope, dear one... you got the wrong one on that!

In your case, I may have gotten it wrong, but generally speaking when it comes to resentment over the dating game amongst blacks, its usually the women who've got the most spite. A lot of black women trip for real when one of us links up with a white woman, I mean they trip FOR REAL. Most brothers I talk to, could care less if black women date white dudes. It's never bothered me, and I can recall white guys coming to the house that wanted to date my sister, and my brother and my father didn't have any beef with it. On the other hand, there's been times I've been on my lunch break walking with an attractive white woman whom I'm not involved with, and I can see the resentment in black women's eyes. It's really amazing, and kinda hilarious if it weren't so sad. Or other times I can recall not being interested in a black woman for multiple reasons, nothing to do with her being black, and later on I hear secondhand she made some remark like, "He must like white girls!"

Well, yeah, sort of... seein' as we didn't get THAT promise, either...

Now this, Shelby, surprised me. I read your previous posts on that, so you don't have to repeat yourself for me, but I mean c'mon, was her not getting a castle that important? Africans of royal descent never had castles anyway, that's a European thing. Plus the movie is set to modern times, right? I haven't seen it yet, but I'm supposing since she wants to open her own restaraunt that its set to modern times in the Bayou. What'd you expect, them to make a crown for her and him out of crawfish and shrimp, and a castle with jambalya wallpaper?

That's another point: what IS he, 'cause he ain't black/African American - ummmmm... for those who don't know, even Brazilians of African descent don't identify with African Americans. NO ONE else in the world does, for the most part. Those in Central America, the Caribbean, and South America consider themselves Hispanic FIRST. Which is why there's a separate race/ethinity box for THEM to check).

Very true, very sad too. Self hatred is a mutha f#$#! Pictures of Sammy Sosa with bleached skin are coming to mind right about now. I love when they come to America and get a reality check though. They might checkmark yes to the Hispanic question on their application, but when they walk down the street, they're a nigga just like the rest of us.

What, like they ever went away?? Light-skinned equates to "good looking" for some folks (and, please, don't forget the "good" hair)... and Diznie is all about "good looking" for its princes and princesses.

Well, in movies, and music, dark skinned with low hair, or even brown skinned dudes are more prevelant than in media than their light skinned contemporaries with the so called, "good hair." You remember how it was back in the day with light skinned guys. Nowadays, guys like, Tyrese, Idris Elba, Tyson Beckford, the dude that played Adebisi on Oz, amongst many other dark actors and musicians are far more prevelant nowadays than there are Drakes.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    In your case, I may have gotten it wrong, but generally speaking when it comes to resentment over the dating game amongst blacks, its usually the women who've got the most spite. A lot of black women trip for real when one of us links up with a white woman, I mean they trip FOR REAL.

My last bf was a black American, and he said the same thing. Fortunately we weren't living in America at the time.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Wasblind, you should be ashamed of yourself. I thought better of you. There is never any need to make fun of someone as you have done to BP. Then you have the audacity to accuse her of stalking Shelby, yet you are the one that appears hell-bent on stalking BP and calling her names while trying to twist everything she says out of context. Having read all of the posts here on this thread, I see that BP's responses have overall been factual, well thought out and written. She tries to make a point that we are all humans, no matter our skin tone, and she gets flamed. Very unfair, and very uncool. It shows who the real racists are.

Do unto others, Wasblind. Ironic screen name by the way, as it appears you are still blind-(by hate)

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

We have it on Blu Ray and like it. The kids like it too. I didn't see anything racist in it. The heroine is a very positive role model.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit