How many people watched "The Princess and the Frog?"

by garyneal 150 Replies latest jw experiences

• AGuest
    AGuest
    All this from someone who hears voices from Jesus.

Wrong thread, BP. Perhaps you should consider keeping your non-existent personal attacks on the "other" thread... you know, the one where you insinuate you've never made a personal attack on anyone?

Oh, and a little to the left, chile. Looks like you... got... sumthin'... right... there...

SA... handing BP another baby wipe... and waitin' to see if she'll need another one... or two... or three...

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    One message I took away from the movie (and maybe I'm missing the boat on this one, who knows) is that Tiana and Naveen were both willing to give up their dreams for love of the other and things ended up turning out OK.
    A noble sentiment, certainly. But perhaps a fairy tale as well ;-P

Aaah...

• sizemik
    sizemik

Naysayers question how Disney would dare center an animated movie around a black woman

(HOLLYWOOD) Disney has done it this time, making a movie about an African-American princess who doesn’t conform to the individual ideals of every black person in this country.

Critics say the portrayal of Tiana in The Princess and the Frog shows that Disney is not only racist, but evil. That the critics haven’t seen the movie is irrelevant, they say. About a minute of footage has been released, as well as stills–enough, they say, to formulate a complete assessment.

“She wears a perm. That’s saying our natural hair isn’t beautiful,” said Alandra Mitchell, a film critic who has dreadlocks. “They should have asked me what I thought.”

“The prince is lighter than she is. What’s that say about black men? Sure, Boris Kodjoe is fine, and we come in all shades, but to be truly black, a character can’t be any lighter than Denzel Washington,” said cultural critic Hensley Jameson, who notes that he is darker than Washington. “They should have asked me what I thought.”

“Have you heard the firefly talk? He sounds like Uncle Remus. Black people don’t be talking like that no more,” said Wilhemina Forrest, a minister in Waverly, Ga., who, in fact, does sound a little like Prissy from Gone With the Wind. “They should have asked me what I thought.”

Tiana is Disney’s first African-American princess. Other movies have portrayed white characters like Snow White or Ariel from The Little Mermaid. Native American, Chinese and Arabic princesses have also had lead roles.

Disney felt the time had come for a black princess.

“We’ve been making movies since Steamboat Willie in 1929. After 80 years, we felt it was finally OK to do something that focused on black people,” said Disney executive Kristin McMurphy. “Plus, with Obama in the White House, it was time to replace old black stand-ins like the crows from Dumbo and the jive-talking monkeys from The Jungle Book.”

Some critics say it’s insensitive to set the movie in New Orleans–an obvious, unforgivable slight since the city had a hurricane four years ago and an animated film will only make things worse. Others are angry that Tiana spends much of the movie as a frog.

“Why does the black princess have to be a frog the whole time? Are they saying black people should be green instead of black?” wondered Shirley Wilson, a waitress at Rob’s diner who plans to boycott the movie. “They should have asked me what I thought.”

Anika Noni Rose gives voice to Tiana, while Oprah Winfrey plays her mother. Disney consulted with Winfrey on racial aspects of the movie, figuring she would have valuable insight since most blacks are billionaires who own production companies.

Winfrey said she’s satisfied with Disney’s due diligence.

“They asked me what I thought. That’s most important,” she said. “And you have to applaud them for finally having their first African-American princess. Sadly, though, given all the complaining folks are doing without even seeing the movie, Tiana will probably be Disney’s last black princess.”

Note: This article is satire, brought to you by the creative minds at The Peoples News.

© 2009 The Peoples News

• AGuest
    AGuest

Note: This article is satire, brought to you by the creative minds at The Peoples News.

Given that folks here (admittedly, if certain responses to my posts are anything to go on)... and elsewhere don't really read anything longer than, say, two 3-sentenced paragraphs, dear Sizemik (peace to you!)... that disclaimer should have been stated at the beginning. Of the article AND your post. You know, so as to not perpetuate yet another MISLEADING portrayal... of "us"... or what the article was about (as occurred as a result of it). The comments to the article were quite interesting, though; ran the gamut... from the gamut. Unfortunately, we live in a world were very often the rule is that "the majority rules". Unfortunately, sometimes this is true... even if they're wrong.

Obviously everyone here doesn't see eye to eye on this matter. I marvel that some apparently expect (and apparently need) that, now though. We've come a long way, true... but we've [still] got a long way to go.

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Violia
    Violia

Shel, others

I have not read entire thread( about half) -enough to get the point Shel is making. Shel, what would folks have said if they had made the black princess act too white? I hear that a lot on TV etc that certain black folks act white etc.
    Would someone have then said we were forcing our little black princess fit into the stereotypical white culture?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The phrase "acting white" is pretty board. It can mean almost anything that isn't seen as "normal" within the black community, or what ever black community you happen to be in (whatever normal is supposed to mean). When I was a child and living in East Palo Alto, CA back in the 70's I was told I wad acting white because I loved to read and spoke white (meaning my Ebonic accent was a little too light or close to nil for some folks). My sister got accused of acting white because she is a graduate from Berkeley.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I have not read entire thread( about half) -enough to get the point Shel is making.

THANK you, Miz Viola (and the greatest of love and peace to you, girl!)!

Shel, what would folks have said if they had made the black princess act too white? I hear that a lot on TV etc that certain black folks act white etc.

Hmmm... I don't know, dear one. Like dear Miz Josie (peace to you, too, my dear!)... I was often accused of that growing up and until I was about 40.

Would someone have then said we were forcing our little black princess fit into the stereotypical white culture?

Girl, I'm sure someone would have. I've read that some had a problem with "her" skin tone and hair. Since "we" run the gamut as to complexion and hair texture, none of that would have concerned me. It just bothered ME that she wasn't a "real" princess... and didn't get the castle and "good" life, etc. I mean, it was a FANTASY... and so they could have GIVEN her anything they wanted to. They apparently WANTED to make her a working woman (which I don't have a problem with, per se... except none of the others were). It assumes, in MY eyes... that we all HAVE to work. Which is not the case at all... and even if it was, again, it's a fantasy and so they could have written any way they wanted. Including with a "real" black prince... who wasn't a loser/womanizer/slickster to BEGIN with (I don't give a hang that he "changed" - why'd he have to be a wannabe gigolo to BEGIN with???).

But this was MY take on it... and I'll be danged if someone who hasn't lived my experience is going to tell me what my take should or should not be.

That's all I'm saying...

Again, peace to you, dear one!

SA, on her own...

• Violia
    Violia

I agree Shel, all little girls get to be a princess for a while, even if they live in the trailer park or the ghetto. It is a dream and a fun one.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    It is a dream...

And that's all I'm saying, dear V: they COULD have given her the dream. I mean, why not? Wasn't to be, though...

Again, peace to you!

SA, on her own...

• Violia
    Violia

got you Shel, they sure could have let her have the dream. I get it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit