Atheist Fascism

by Band on the Run 101 Replies latest jw friends

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

No one, Theist or Atheist, should have the right to belittle, (be abusive) on this board.

Seems to me that what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Was Godrulz evicted? If so, what for?

Was it because some viewed him as being an obnoxious Theist?

If that's the case, why not just ignore his posts?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I believe.............

In mankind's ability to think through his problems.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

You hit the nail on the head Band on the Run.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I get the impression that atheists/agnostics/skeptics or whatever you want to call them are sometimes trying to make up for lost time, and so come off a bit 'fascist' or 'snarky.'

When you think about it, religion has had a 10,000+ year head start! Truly rational, scientific thought has only really gotten rolling in the past few centuries or so ( this is not to say there was NO science occurring before then)

I am certainly not going to assert belief in a god is irrational. I believed it! But it is amazing to me how in the year 2011, as people mill about earth benefitting from all that critical thought about the universe has provided them - medicine, computers, communications etc - they blindly throw their support behind age-old superstitious beliefs, never giving it a second thought.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I am grateful for the fact that the vast majority of athiests and agnostics are not militant or "facists", just as I am sure THEy are grateful that the vast majority of believers are also not militant or extremissts.

The downside is that the moderates are always "shouted over" by the extremists and just as in religion that is OUR fault that we let that happen, in atheisim it works the same way.

• undercover
    undercover

lessee... 2000 years of Christians in all their various factions and sects trying to ram their superstitious beliefs down everyone's throat...to the point of infiltrating governments... and then when non-believers, i.e. atheists, start to assert their position and let themselves be heard, their labeled "fascist"?

What the fuck ever...

Look... it's great if you have a personal faith in Jesus, God, the Easter Bunny or Luke Skywalker. That's great. The key is: PERSONAL. If you want to believe and have faith in those things, good for you. I support your constitutional and human right to do so.

Just keep it to yourself. Don't preach about it, don't seek public office on a "Christian platform", don't praise God because you scored a touchdown in the Super Bowl.

But the problem is you can't do that. The very concept of being a Christian means you're supposed to spread your gospel. And as long as people wear their faith on their sleeve, their going to be criticized and ridiculed by those that choose logical and rational thinking to get through life.

Believers are still the vast majority of people, at least in the United States of Stupidity. If you can't take the little heat that the first wave of outspoken atheists are creating, you better pack it in, cause it's only going to get worse for you.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

UC, you really think the tone of your post was needed?

This is a "religious" forum, no?

I don't know how many forums you frequent, but I am a moderator in a few MA forums and a poster in some others and I have been for a good 10 years.

I have YET to see any preaching or evagelizing in ANY OF THEM.

I can understand your frustration with some Christians, I am, perhaps, even MORE frustrated by them than you.

But the OP was simply venting his/her frustration also, is that so wrong? especially when he/she has a point?

• undercover
    undercover
    But the OP was simply venting his/her frustration also, is that so wrong? especially when he/she has a point?

And I was venting my frustration. Is that so wrong? Especially when the OP used the term "Atheist Fascism"?

Start a thread with a label like that, expect to get called on it.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

A valid point, but I don't recall the OP posting sayin " what the fuck ever"...

Tone, even on the net, means quite a bit, no?

What are YOU frustrated with UC ?

• undercover
    undercover
    What are YOU frustrated with UC ?

I think I covered it already...

2000 years of Christians in all their various factions and sects trying to ram their superstitious beliefs down everyone's throat...to the point of infiltrating governments... and then when non-believers, i.e. atheists, start to assert their position and let themselves be heard, their labeled "fascist"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit