the global Noahic flood is truth

by undercover 90 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Don't really want to get in the middle of all this (looks like much fun!) but...

WitnessesForAtheism has a podcast on iTunes and just came out with an episode about the flood. They have some sort of ex-fundamentalist guest on board as well. I think they did pretty well, though you really could go on and on about it.... As this thread suggests....

Ok, I'm outta here!

Bye!

• badseed
    badseed

bttt

• no one
    no one

Can someone familiar with JW beliefs on the flood provide a bit of help? Had a pair come by about a month ago, one about 30, the other near 70. Stated my skepticism about the flood and used the following two concepts: 1) Many species of trees (I used the cypress which is local to my region) are not salt-water tolerant, not even their seeds. You have to transplant a seedling to replace. 2) Before the flood, the ocean had to be extremely saline; at the least, more so than now (if all the water is still here by their claim). This would have either killed the marine life or they would have had to adapt (evolve) very quickly into creatures that tolerated a much more saline habitat. The older gent simply stated that the oceans were fresh water bodies before the flood and that there was a salt source that gradually dissolved to create salty oceans. My question: Is this a universal JW belief? First time ever hearing it. I asked them several other questions about the flood and they said they'd be back. Been a month now. A bit of research I did that came from USGS said that if you could remove all of the salt from the oceans, it would form a layer 500 feet thick that would cover the planet. Trying to cut it down to size as a salt source that would dissolve to form salt oceans, it would be a salt continent measuring about 3300 miles square and 4000 feet tall.

• no one
    no one

Sorry that it's jammed together into a single paragraph. Haven't posted in years. I used spacing to create paragraphs in my post. Can someone tell me the secret of making it happen? Thanks

• james_woods
    james_woods
    The older gent simply stated that the oceans were fresh water bodies before the flood and that there was a salt source that gradually dissolved to create salty oceans. My question: Is this a universal JW belief? First time ever hearing it.

I have never heard this as an official JW belief either, but I have heard many very weird private JW thoughts on the flood...for example, that the dinosaurs lived up until the flood and were killed off then "to make petroleum".

That little gem came from a circuit overseer!

• unshackled
    unshackled

The older gent simply stated that the oceans were fresh water bodies before the flood and that there was a salt source that gradually dissolved to create salty oceans

no one...I don't think that is a universal JW belief. Certainly not anything they have printed in recent years. I've seen some whacky stuff in their lit going back to 50s and 60s...so may be from back then and why the older gent said it.

Regardless, it is complete BS to think the oceans gradually became salt water over a few thousand years.

• no one
    no one

Thank you, guys, for responding. Can you help me create paragraphs. Don't understand why it's jammed into one.

• undercover
    undercover
    I have never heard this as an official JW belief either, but I have heard many very weird private JW thoughts on the flood

It's called 'rationalization'. They have to come up with some sort of personal explanation to make the flood story work in their feeble mind. Sometimes they start to voice those opinions to others and sometimes the others pick up on it to help their own rationalization.

The paragraph thing...

Depends on what web browser you're on. I can't get it to work on Google Chrome, I have to go back to IE8. Maybe someone will have a better answer and solution.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Thank you, guys, for responding. Can you help me create paragraphs. Don't understand why it's jammed into one.

Try putting two carriage return/line feeds after the sentence where you want one to start - hit the Enter key twice there.

• no one
    no one

Trying now, James. Testing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit