A few Dawkins quotes to think about.

by AK - Jeff 328 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    To see that two-thirds of the world is suffering and then say that is the way it OUGHT is an odd reaction for sure.

Agreed, but where do you get the point of view?

I'm saying when we see people suffering we should do all we can to help them. That is NOT happening on this planet. Too many people sitting around in their Lazy Boys watching American Idol not giving a rat's ass what is happening in the half of the world.

Couldn't agree more, so what are you doing about it?

This is not directed at you or anyone on here. The fact is mass society is apathetic.

Agreed, but what makes you think that is wrong?

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

Ninja! Just dropping by to let you all know Raptor Jesus is coming in October to bring all of us atheists to this cool alternate dimension! (It's WAY better than heaven!!!)

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Sabastious: Why would an atheist want to argue against an uncommon definition of God? What would be the point? If he argues against Allah and YHWH, this covers the overwhelming majority of active theology.

The time investment the atheist spends on "common gods" and "uncommon gods" is where personal skill and intuition come into play.

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

botchtower: What prevents God from creating a universe without suffering? Either he cannot or he has not. Or, are there other possibilities.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

While it is great to say that God is omnipotent and that God should make the world like WE want it to be,lets remember one thing here, WE don't know any better than what we know NOW and while the universe is the way it is and nature is the way it is, and we KNOW THAT, why on earth would we think it should be any other way??

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

How difficult would it have been for god to make a world where tectonic plates glided smoothly past one another without earthquakes and tsunamis?

I don't know, why don't you tell us?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Loftus takes this very idea and argues that God should have therefore created nothing. Creating nothing would be more moral than what we have.

Based on WHO's opinion?

Loftus also uses this point to argue that it would have been a greater demonstration of God's power to prevent anything from ever existing. Something is easy. Nothing is difficult.

When did John achieve omniscience?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    botchtower: What prevents God from creating a universe without suffering? Either he cannot or he has not. Or, are there other possibilities.

Suffering? what is this "suffering" you speak of and based on what do you claim anything wrong with it?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I have thanks. If anybody wishes to defend an alternative theism I am all ears.

Would be fun to start a thread; I am a theist. I need to get some work done before I invest the time.

-Sab

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I believe He cannot.

To create a Universe that allows for free beings like ourselves without the possibility for evil would be a logical impossibility. He may have just as well created a universe full of other logically impossible things, like square circles, or where the mathematics of 2+2 equals 5.

I also notice that my questions went unanswered.

If what God did was evil, is having a child also evil? What prompts a person to bring a child into a suffering world? I know for me it was love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit