A few Dawkins quotes to think about.

by AK - Jeff 328 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

This conversation reminds me of how simple the Calvinistic view is: God created some people to suffer and others to enjoy eternal bliss.

Now, we can move on to another topic.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I reckon I would have at least made the earth less hazardous.

Does a man who refuses to roof his house blame God for freezing in the winter? Was God evil for creating laws that describe what we call "heat" or for making water so that it freezes at 0 degrees.

If a person builds his home under a precariously balanced rock is it God's fault when it falls off and crushes him in his sleep? Was God evil for inventing gravity and rocks?

Besides, if the Earth were not geologically dynamic, life may never have evolved here.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    what makes you think people suffering is right?

Gotta define what is right first. Have fun with that

-Sab

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    You sure like asking questions Psac! So in turn, what makes you think people suffering is right?

Actually I don't, but I am a christian and doing my best to change the world that Our Lord gave us to take care of.

It's my duty as a christian and I do it out of love for My God and My Lord, not because I have to, but because I know I should, I ought to ;)

But then again I don't think that the world IS suppose to be the way it is ( outside the natural order of things), I think the world CAN be a better place and that WE can make it better.

I am just curious as to why those who think the world is chaos and violence and hate and death and that is the natural order of things, why they think there is something wrong with that?

If we are nothing but by-products of surival of the fittest and selfish genes, why care about "ought" when "is" is the defing issue.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

This conversation reminds me of how simple the Calvinistic view is: God created some people to suffer and others to enjoy eternal bliss.
    Now, we can move on to another topic.

You seldom give a serious answer or take a position yourself, do you?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Sabastious: Do you think science can play a role in defining human suffering?

• sabastious
    sabastious

I like "God created the arena that we are called to. Each of us is given a sword and a shield and, from our individual perspective, there is a wild beast heading our way, and it was just injected with adrenaline."

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty

It's only carnage if we name it carnage.

You are playing semantics again

if the Earth were not geologically dynamic, life may never have evolved here.

It could be dynamic without the earthquakesand tsunamis - no problem for a god who gave a shit about his creatures

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Sabastious: Do you think science can play a role in defining human suffering?

Not if science is applied by design.

-Sab

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

It could be dynamic without the earthquakesand tsunamis - no problem for a god who gave a shit about his creatures

Show me how you would do it, and show your work.

"Viewed from the distance of the moon, the astonishing thing about the Earth, catching the breath, is that it is alive. Photographs show the dry, pounded surface of the moon in the foreground, dead as an old bone. Aloft, floating free beneath the moist, gleaming membrane of bright blue sky, is the rising earth, the only exuberant thing in this part of the cosmos. If you could look long enough, you would see the swirling of the great drifts of white cloud, covering and uncovering the half-hidden masses of land. And if you had been looking for a very long, geologic time, you would have seen the continents themselves in motion, drifting apart on their crustal plates, held afloat by the fire beneath."

Needless to say, there is no suffering on the Moon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit