A few Dawkins quotes to think about.

by AK - Jeff 328 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious
    You are playing semantics again

It's not a semantics argument it's a reality argument. We can only understand what we percieve through our five senses (6th being the dream state, imo). Language, although highly developed, has inherent limitations of which you routinely ignore.

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    You seldom give a serious answer or take a position yourself, do you?

I don't really think anyone cares about my opinion. We all must determine what makes sense to us, individually.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

It could be dynamic without the earthquakesand tsunamis - no problem for a god who gave a shit about his creatures

A valid point, but since population control is NOT a bad thing, how do we know its not all part of just that?

Or punishment for people wanting to live by the beach or over fault lines !

On a silly note:

I'd like to fly and I think God should get rid of that pesky "gravational constant" thingy ;)

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Not if science is applied by design.

I would have to disagree with this. Sam Harris' new book discusses this issue. Harris has found that many atheists hold your position, and he thinks that are limiting themselves. He admits, however, that he cannot have a dialogue with persons who feel that all human existence is equal. In other words, the person who thinks that living a 30-year life, plagued by painful disease is not better or no worse than living to be 100, with a measure of health that allows one to pursue goals that benefit others.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I don't really think anyone cares about my opinion.

You are way, way, way wrong about that.

-Sab

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    I don't really think anyone cares about my opinion. We all must determine what makes sense to us, individually.

I thought this was a discussion forum?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Science has nothing to do with abstract notions of right and wrong, it is simply the observation of nature.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I would have to disagree with this. Sam Harris' new book discusses this issue. Harris has found that many atheists hold your position, and he thinks that are limiting themselves.

Interesting position. I will admit that we have put the tenants of science within an absolute spectrum. The thing about science is it is designed to remake itself when compelling data comes along.

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I thought this was a discussion forum?

That is a fair quesiton. I wasn't very clear.

(1) I have opinions.

(2) On many of the questions at hand, my position is, 'I Don't Know', rather than strong, positive assertions.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    (2) On many of the questions at hand, my position is, 'I Don't Know', rather than strong, positive assertions.

"I don't know" is a conclusion and if you have compelling evidence it can be a strong, positive assertion.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit