Another Elder

by burnedout 94 Replies latest jw experiences

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Have you read either of Steve Hassan's books? If not, please read his first book, 'Combatting Cult Mind Control', if you'd like to understand what makes members of high-control groups tick. Also, you'll learn why facts/evidence/doctrine/reason are ineffective when trying to awaken someone to critical thinking towards their strongly-held beliefs.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome burnedout and happified. My folks refused to accept the real truth. It's been a long hard road. They were self-righteous holier-than-thou people when they first dedicated themselves. My Mom is dead now and my Dad has dementia. He no longer goes door-to-door or to the meetings. More and more now he doesn't say a prayer when he's having his breakfast. So much for them being God's Chosen.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Welcome burnedout.

IMO you made a wise choice by resigning.

The cult would have sucked the life out of you if you had remained an undershepherd.

• yknot
    yknot
    Hi SIAM, yes I attended KM school in December. It was horrible. I had already mentally made my decision to resign but went to KM school anyway. The BS was everywhere!!!

May I inquire quite 'brazenly' if the CO or any others mentioned the ks10 being already uploaded to the internet?

Did you wait for your hardcopy or did you download?

How was the higher education angle presented?

huggles

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The 95 generation adjustment got to me too. Even though I stayed in letting "the show go on" for another decade, I was still a bit of a believer, but started having greater and greater doubts. I gave that same talk, 'Your Future, How Can It Be Known?' I know what you are saying about being familiar with Daniel.

If I hadn't already faded out, I would have walked out when they changed "generation" again in 2008. The 2010 "overlap" is just silliness. It's almost like parading the naked emperor around to dare the subjects to say they notice he's naked. I am sure it will have to be "refined" in my lifetime again.

Before fading to zero meetings, I was a resigned elder with no "responsibilities." It was kind of fun to be able to just sit there, and after the meeting to not have another meeting (elders) to go to.

Thanks for sharing your story. We seem to have much in common. We'll see ya around.

• clarity
    clarity

Wow, well done Burnedout.

glad you've come on-board, there are so many in your position.

Look forward to your future posts.

Two new ones on here burnedout and happified welcome to you both...two sides of the same coin !

clarity

• flipper
    flipper

BURNED OUT- I second LEAVING WT's opinion. Do be careful. Most JW's will not listen to reason and many of them feel they have to be faithful to the WT organization over blood relatives. And I agree read Steve Hassan's books if you get a chance soon sometime. The 2nd one is great as well entitled " Releasing the Bonds - Empowering People to Think for Themselves ". Both of those books helped me to understand what tactics the WT society used to control us. Take care

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I enjoyed your freedom speech....but, I know it must have been hard to come to that decision. I served for 23 yrs, and do miss some aspects, but not the BS, as you described.

What really matters is when some in the cong approach you for advice regardless of what you are in title. That's when you know that you made a difference. Give your wife time, she will adjust. My wife supports me when I refuse the offer to serve again, and have done so three times. Don't be surprised when they come to you, as well. They are loosing many good men, and are getting desperate.

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome!

I didn't catch whether you've read Ray Franz's Crisis of Conscience.

If not, by all means do so.

• moshe
    moshe

Welcome- I wish you a peaceful life and hope you get away clean.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit