What's the most dumbest/petty thing you've heard of someone being "stumbled" over?

by Reality79 100 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• manthedan
    manthedan

While me and my wife was dating. My wife (girlfriend then) came to my book study and we sat together, during prayer we held hands. There was another girl (my witness boss's daughter) who really liked me. Well before the prayer the sister that liked me had walked out and left because of our presence, but her older sister was still there. Well after the prayer I guess she saw us holding hands and when we all said "Amen", the older sister asks us loudly in front of everybody in a tiny ass living room if we were engaged. We said no, and she walked out also!.......very uncomfortable for everybody at that time.

It’s so stupid how they act, we were both consenting adults at the time (20 yrs.), it’s not like we were having sex in front of everybody. We were trying to keep it proper, that’s why we went to the book study together, and we didn’t want to hide. But unfortunately the Witless have to shame you in to hiding and secrecy if they don’t agree with you. So we would meet places nobody could find us, and we would make out all freakin day!.........ahhh miss those days.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Had a small dinner party at our house. Was counceled by the COBE because one of the sisters attending had recently been reproved, and people were stumbled.

I said, "I thought that the good association would be encouraging to her."

The COBE's response? "She can be encouraged at the meetings, not in people's homes."

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.
    "She can be encouraged at the meetings, not in people's homes."

Zoiks I can actually hear this in my head with that Holier than now attitude....

MantheDan Funny how when 2 children are holding hands it's so cute...

When Adults hold hands and AREN'T engaged.....it loose conduct LMAO!

• zoiks
    zoiks

Yeah, cbj, he laid it on pretty thick, too. He was on the JC that reproved her, IIRC, and had that "trust me, you don't want to go near this one" thing going on. Slimy.

I actually don't believe that anyone was "stumbled". This elder really seemed to try to exert power over the single sisters in the hall. Very creepy.

This sister eventually left and so did we. Now we're friends again and she can come over any old time :)

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

It's a loving, reasonable organization, Zoiks, but you start inviting those reproved people over and it'll be a dry hump party before you know it.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

And she was REPROVED Not DF'd!!

The very Soul who needs encouragment and to be shown Love!!! as Steve Martin said in the 70's...

But NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!

• 21stcenturywoman
    21stcenturywoman

All of these posts are so hilarious. It brings back memories of my upbringing. It's so annoying how petty and hypersensitive people are. I was never officially called in the "back" for "stumbling" anyone. They reserved that type of bullying for my poor dad. However, people were always making comments to me while I was growing up. Even though my mother was an overly strict JW parent, she would let me dye my hair at a young age. Well of course certain sisters had a problem with that. I was a little more fashionable than most at the congregation were, so that was a problem too.

The most ridiculous thing I recall is when I was a teenager. At a gathering I said that something was "asinine". I was told that I was swearing (I guess the idiot thought I said "ass"), and was told that type of language was unacceptable. LOL!

I do recall that one of my mother's (mentally ill) bible students was offended when a newly married couple was holding hands during the meeting. I think my mom actually said something to the couple.

I just remembered that one of the elders counseled my parents about my sinus problems. Apparently it annoyed him that I would sneeze during the Book Study. He said something like, “You need to buy her more Kleenex.” When my parents told him that I have all the tissues that I needed, my sinus problems were still one of his constant complaints. (What an asshole.)

• Scully
    Scully

An older Sister™ told me that I was Stumbling™ her for buying a Glamour magazine and getting my hair done like one of the photos in the magazine. She claimed that "those trashy magazines" were the first step in leaving The Truth™. Now that I think of it, the only "trashy magazines" that drove me out of The Truth™ were The Watchtower and Awake!

I thought to myself It figures... just look at how she keeps her hair.

• Scully
  • Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

FWIW, Scully, I like your mannequin's hair-do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit