What's the most dumbest/petty thing you've heard of someone being "stumbled" over?

by Reality79 100 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• someDUDEinAsmallCubicalSomewhereOverTheRAINBOX
    someDUDEinAsmallCubicalSomewhereOverTheRAINBOX

My grandparents were in their 80s, and had a bit of trouble moving about. Being good grandkids, we helped them take down their Christmas decorations....and were promptly counciled by 3 elders, making sure we weren't "forced" and that we weren't doing it as a "celebration". WFT? Idiots. It's like they have no F'n common sense!

Oh, I was also counciled once for calling on of the elder's wives a bitch to her face lol. But that one was true hehehehe I was counciled, but stayed as an MS after I "was soooo sorry" and apoligzed.

And if you are wondering, yes, yes she is a bitch. And I was not really that sorry, quite enjoyed that...

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

This is a fun thread. I'll add my contribution:

A newly baptized (i think he'd been around about a year at the time) 40-something 'brother' who was a few nickles shy of a quarter was once stumbled by a sister's earrings. The offending jewlery? Dangling gold silhouettes of the sun, a cresent moon, and a (solid, not the witchcraft version) 5 pointed star. Apparently these earings were so offensive because they seemed to be related to astrology and pagan religions. In hindsight, I think he was just jumping into the culture of making arbitrary rules and telling sisters what to do for no reason.

Saddly, I've never had the priveledge of stumbling anyone, at least it was never brought to my attention if I did.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

wearing his baseball cap backwards, and told pretty much everyone in attendance. According to her, such a thing is associated with gangs. keyser soze

I hope someone told her it was actually associated with baseball and Mickey Rooney.

I was "marked" and my 5 year old daughter because I was going to university.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I stumbled someone for ordering peperoni on my pizza. I appologized and became a closet peperoni eater, until the CO bought a peperoni pizza.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

• My mom (and then I, by her) got counseled for asking questions about what we were studying in one of the nuttier prophetic novels studybooks in the 1970's. I was about 9 or 10 at the time and I asked some logical and provocative questions. To my childlike mind, we were in someone's home among friends. . . why should I not ask when I had a question? My mom was still not baptised, and her pat answer has always been that she has studied for so many years and compared it to all the other religions, so she knows it is right. I was like 9-no one would LET me study anything else. So, I tried to get some answers.

Well, that is not acceptable to ask an elder or MS to explain something in a study book in public because it casts doubt. If a 9 year old can ask questions that bring up doubts, then they got deeper issues than a curious 9 year old!!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It sounds like a lot of things are just due to petty jealousy and nit picking.

I got counseled once for my child eating in the kingdom hall. Another child had given her a small piece of candy, like a life saver.

Also, I got counseled because my daughter went and sat in my car while I was still in the hall after the meeting. They said she had started the car, which was very inappropriate. She didn't even have my keys, so that was impossible, it's just her friends were in the car with her, and they were big girls, so the car must have rocked a bit.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Yoga......someone told me it was "totally deemo bro".

I said yeah because I'm sure the demons are hanging out at 24 hour fitness just waiting for your hamstring to be nice an loose before they slip on in there (they enter through the hamstring).

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

I was pulled aside by an elder 11 years ago for buying a convertible because this apparently caused some brothers to stumble. He even asked if I could try to drive my other beat up car to the meetings instead. I said I would as I felt rather guilty for indulging in material things while some of the friends had very little. So for a few months I drove my clunker to the hall until the damn thing quit half way to my 6 mile drive back home on a rainy cold night. That was it for me... I reverted to using my convertible instead and was ready to send anyone to hell if they even mentioned my new car around me. I can't believe I caved in so easily...

• Bye bye birdie
    Bye bye birdie

1) when dating we were counseled for calling each other, "honey" though not engaged.

2) pulled in the back and asked if I had a free Denny's birthday meal. Why yes I did. Sooooooooo?

3) told my knees would distract the brothers from the meetings. I said they were perverts then and to give me a break and get help.

4) told it wasn't up to me to warn the families in the hall about a pervert. Read the scripture about a time to keep quiet. To which I said ..."give me a tent pin"

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

These are great. Bye bye birdie, i wish i could have seen the looks on these guys when you said these things.

Calebs Airplane,

I hear first hand a story of a guy removed from being an MS in a London congregation because he bought a 2 seater sports car, and not his sedan anymore. The person that told me this was a friends wife, and I thought we would all get a nice laught out of it. I started with the whoel what kind of Pharisees yadda yadda yadda.....

Well......it became readily apparent that she 100% agreed with these guys when she said....."well......its obvious he didn't want to help anyone...."

I asked her for the scriptural principle he broke, and what no longer scripturally qualified him and needless to say we can't stand each other. He was a great friend too. Now I just can't be around the guy because I can't stand his self righteous wife. Pretty well known family in london I believe. Brother was disfellowshipped from Bethel.

Didn't change her stuffy attitude a bit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit