Are JWs the worst restaurant customers?

by Alfred 124 Replies latest jw friends

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I'm leaning toward what curiousconfused has said. Cheap knows no ideological demography. I made reference to the boys' weekend away earlier in this thread. On one such outing there was one fellow in the group who went back into the restaurant just after we'd left saying he'd left his glasses on the table. He was caught stealing the tips from the table. Nothing to do with his religious beliefs (he didn't have any) but everything to do with him being a cheap son-of-a-bitch. We never invited him back.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

I just read a book written by the blogger from waiter rant.net (great blog btw) and it's definitely a church crowd thing to tip poorly, not just JWs.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

I have a very good finacial situation, even compared to a westerner, yet I don't think we should tip every time and too much...at least not without receiving a little something in return. That movie scene expresses my thoughts in a great way. For a bill with less than 20 bucks, 1 dollar tip is ok.

I also think tips are an incentive for corruption. Why should medics, clerks, teachers, etc. not receive tips, too?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

that the real correlation between tipping and non-tipping is the income of the patron

i disagree, the relation is group conformity - independent thinking

Who in here tips at McDonalds? How bout SUBWAY? How about a chinnese food?

They prepare the food and they serve it for you. (except buffets) So whats the criteria for tipping?

This is the criteria.... EVERYBODY does it.... or its in the CULTURE.... So its not about being cheap. Its about following the group.

I am against tipping. I think the restaurant should charge me for food and service. I should decide to go back or not to the restaurant if I like the food and service... The restaurant should pay their employees.. IF the employees dont make enough money then they should get a different job.

By tipping someone for doing their job regardless of their service we only promote bad service.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Did your sister in law actually use the word "dilligent"? If so, you know it's a true story LOL !

• tec
    tec

You don't tip for bad service; you do tip for good service. That promotes good service over mediocre or bad service, CJ. Tipping for bad service promotes bad service, sure. But not too many people do that.

Tammy

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I think it's all church groups. Anytime you get a group over a certain number etc. That's why some restaurants add gratuity to the bill. I remember an elder and his wife, they were huge tightwads. They would always ask for hot water and bring their own tea bags, ordering nothing else. I hated ever going anywhere with them.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I am against tipping. I think the restaurant should charge me for food and service. I should decide to go back or not to the restaurant if I like the food and service... The restaurant should pay their employees.. IF the employees dont make enough money then they should get a different job.

Perhaps. Have you ever heard of a car dealership that doesn't allow haggling? I know of a couple that tried, and their business dried up. You're right that it's cultural. People expect to be able to haggle at a car dealership and people expect to have a say in how well a restaurant server is compensated depending on how well they're treated. That's the way it is. Servers get minimum wage and if they want more they'd better do a good job. Not believing in tipping is irrelevant. It's getting a free ride on the backs of the minimum wage restaurant servers.

• Alfred
    Alfred

I hate to shamelessly bump this thread, but last night my non-JW sister-in-law brought up this subject yet again... she said that last Saturday was an usually busy day during lunch... apparently, 2 party busses (or tourist busses?) pulled up and filled up the remaining seats in the restaurant...

In the middle of all the chaos, two JW sisters that she recognizes walk in requesting a table for two (pioneers taking a break maybe?)... they were asked if sitting at the bar was OK... of course, they said no and even requested a booth. Finally, a booth opens up and they are seated, given menus and asked if they wanted anything to drink. They both ordered Sprite... After serving the Sprites, their waitor came by their table several times over a 25-minute period asking if they had decided what they wanted... not surprizingly, they weren't ready to order yet and continued their conversation without ever looking at their menus... Meanwhile, there were about 12 people (approximately 4 parties) waiting to be seated as the restaurant continued to be unusually full.

Finally, after occupying the table for 35 minutes, they order nothing, pay for their Sprites and leave a $1 tip... the waitor was pissed!!!

Again, my sister-in-law asks me why JWs are so clueless when they go to her restaurant. All I could say is that the WT dumbs down the rank and file so much that some JWs tend to lose all situational awareness and practically live in hermetically sealed bubbles where they apparently feel that they need not behave like normal human beings... (In retrospect, this is probably not the best response I could have given, but it was the only thing that came to mind after hearing her vent for 5 minutes...)

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, we didn't find that many stiffed the waiter; we find many non-jws do the same, even religious ones. We were always good customers and get good service. I was at a ex-jw event where people did not pay their share and left the organizer holding the bag.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit