Going out with a bang

by LittleToe 255 Replies latest jw friends

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

WOW LT,

I had never before listened to the talk. What a wonderfully loving way to exit. You didn't throw grenades or rotten eggs at the Watchtower but simply expressed your intention of allowing the original mediator his proper place instead of an organization. And then you expressed your love for them and said good bye. I'm moved.

Steve

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Crumpet:

It might be because he isn't scottish! And once upon a time he sounded like a Notts lad, like I did!

??? Where do you think I came from before I moved to Nottingham? You're right about the accent, though. I also have a little bit of Buckinghamshire in there, too, from living there twice.

Rebel:
    I walked out afterwards, bearing in mind it was just a little over twenty minutes long. As I walked down the aisle the PO announced the song, and then they got on with the Watchtower study

Greendawn:My wife sat stoney-faced on the back row, near the door. When I passed her I put my hand on her shoulder but she shrugged it off. Others have since left, yes

Steve:My outline was a little different, as I had in mind that I might mention a few things like the UN issue that was very current. However when the time came I felt "moved" to say what I said, and that was that.

BeepBeep:
    Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you. I forgot to reply.

Beard are a bone of contention in Britain. You can get away with it more in Scotland, as more people in the "world" wear them, but generally they are unacceptable, especially if you are climbing the ranks. You never see one on the Circuit or District platforms.

Late in the Summer I finally shaved it off. As the cold weather comes in I'm tempted to grow it back, though

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Where do you think I came from before I moved to Nottingham?

The Stork?

(PS that must have cut to the quick when your wife shrugged you off. You were very brave to do what you did and I am so proud to know you lambchop!)

Indeed an interesting story, LT. I applaud your courage in delivering that talk; what a great way to exit this cult!

When I first read the title of this thread, it wasn't a talk that came to mind. I thought maybe you'd nailed the P.O.'s wife and been df'd or something else of appeal to the prurient interest. I guess there's a reason I never even considered becoming baptized . . .

• avishai
    avishai

Wow. Ya know, I could never get through the whole thing in all my yrs. on JWD til today. It was just too hard. Now I'm glad i did, even though I have a big ol' lump in my throat. ((LT)) Your one heck of a guy.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

144000:

I thought maybe you'd nailed the P.O.'s wife and been df'd or something else of appeal to the prurient interest.

OMG, Nooooooooooooooo!!!

Avishai:

Bearing in mind that it was pitched as a JW audience, I only hope that it doesn't cause any triggers for folks. Though it wasn't exactly the way a Public Talk is usually delivered. The PO should have realised that I wasn't going from the normal script, especially as he'd heard me give the talk with that outline title several years before.

Tomorrow evening I give the short lecture part of a Christmas Watchnight service, especially for the kids, that's to be broadcast on the local radio. What a change from this time four years ago, when I was at the Elders' School, with my DA talk already on my mind!

You'd better believe I'm going to take the opportunity to mention the JWs

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

LT,

Tomorrow evening I give the short lecture part of a Christmas Watchnight service, especially for the kids, that's to be broadcast on the local radio. What a change from this time four years ago, when I was at the Elders' School, with my DA talk already on my mind!

Steve

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I hope you'll record that for us!

• greendawn
    greendawn

I am pleased that some other JWs realised something useful from your talk. They were probably talking about it all over Scotland.

• zagor
    zagor

I also went out with a bang,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit