I need a show of hands: who believes the Bible and to what extent?

by Terry 206 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Robdar
    Robdar

QCMBR:

Fortunately I discovered that they don't come from God, angels, demons or in my case ( being teetotal and a non drinker) from external chemical substances. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that those same feelings occur after one has left any concept of god and that internal chemical interactions and certain states of mind combine to allow me to still experience religious bliss without the religion bit!
    I understand how powerful experiences of the spiritual kind can be but I beg you to consider that they do not come from some external supernatural source.

Well, since I was an atheist at the time of my first major "mystical" experience and also drug free, imagine how surprised I was. But the information that came to me was something that I had no way of knowing. I was even more surprised when it turned out to be true. Believe me, I tried to dismiss it but several other unexplained things started happening too--all with very good results.

I have since found out that I am an InFJ and according to several sources "what is known as ESP is likely found in an INFJ more than in any other types, although other types are capable of such phenomena. INFJs have vivid imaginations exercised both as memory and intuition, and this can amount to genius, resulting at time in an INFJ’s being seen as mystical. This unfettered imagination often will enable this person to compose complex and often aesthetic works of art such as music, mathematical systems, poems, plays, and novels. In a sense, the INFJ is the most poetic of all the types. Just as the ENTJ cannot not lead, so must an INFJ intuit; this capability extends to people, things, and often events, taking the form of visions, episodes of foreknowledge, premonitions, auditory and visual images of things to come. INFJs can have uncanny communications with certain individuals at a distance." http://www.purdue.edu/usp/pdfs/mbtiresources/INFJ.pdf

So, given my personality type, you could be correct in stating there is no external supernatural source, except I have come to enjoy the possibilty that there could be a supernatural source. I love a good mystery. The concept of a creative force, or God, is quite mystifying to me. Besides, I love the warm feeling that comes over me when I feel that I am connected with this other being. I feel as if "it" loves me and how can I not love it in return?

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Nada ..Nothing..Unreadable in the best parts,downright gross and juvenile in others.Cannot imagine WHY it has retained so much popularity thru the years...

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen

I still believe in the Bible, but not the fact that a bunch of imperfect men can dictate your life.

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen

I still believe in the Bible, but not the fact that a bunch of imperfect men can dictate your life.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The ancient Israelite seers/scribes had much to gain personally for connecting themselves with the great Almighty god

which brought notable prominence and power toward themselves within their select civilization.

Really when you think about it, the Israelite civilization was similar to the many other civilizations in the ancient world.

Much of the words in the bible are these embellished stories by these so called spiritual seers.

Embellished stories to create an impressionable notation that the Israelite people were truly god's solemn chosen ones,

creating an aura of security and purpose. So much prominence and power within their society that they were the direct ones to establish

laws of governance within the civilization itself, sort of a theocratic dictatorship.

• Terry
    Terry

I asked this question (see Topic above) to determine if the very act of disconnecting from a strong belief system (voluntarily or otherwise) automatically REBOOTS the abandoned rational fuse in one's brain or not.

It would appear it does.

Once you are compelled to face a dearly held belief from a Skeptical POV, then, everything is automatically on the table again.

You are ABLE to ask the question: is this really valid?

The most fundamental of all belief questions concerns the SOURCE of information. In Christianity it is held to be the scriptures.

There is also mysticism or superstition in the idea that God can contact any one of us DIRECTLY and forcefeed pure information. Just ask Saul of Tarsus.

If deity operates directly rather than going through previously authorized federal authority (priests, prophets, apostles, etc.) it is anything goes.

If deuces are now wild--who needs ritual?

We don't need scriptures or traditions of magesterium or governing bodies or churches with pastors if the Holy Spirit can make a Direct Deposit of pure truth in our account.

So, which is it?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

But Terry you'll never know what the Holy Spirit expects and wants of us unless you read the the words of the ancient Seers.

Without them a connection to the Holy spirit would be empty of purpose and meaning.

What would be the point of making a Direct Deposit of nothing ?

• Terry
    Terry

you'll never know what the Holy Spirit expects and wants of us unless you read the the words of the ancient Seers.

Is that a statement of speculation or of knowledge?

What would lead you to expect a continuity between fictionalized seers and present reality?

That is, if the ancient seers have been fictionalized.

Knowing what is what and sorting that out is quite the problem.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Not really that hard once you study and realize the history of mankind's own inherent ignorance of himself and the world he (once) lived in.

Is that a statement of speculation or of knowledge?

Perhaps a little speculation but more profoundly structured on knowledge of the roots of spiritualism, attributing to the cause and reason.

• The Finger
    The Finger

Trueone,

What do you think the Holy Spirit wants of us? If you don't believe in it is any wonder that you might not know

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit