I need a show of hands: who believes the Bible and to what extent?

by Terry 206 Replies latest watchtower bible

• caliber
    caliber

. Differentiating between belief and faith. Greek word pistis.
    1. Belief ­ Mental assent, cognitive acceptance, dogmatic assertion comprising intellectual
    certainty. (static)
    2. Faith ­ Volitional receptivity and availability allowing for functional certainty of God's
    activity. (dynamic )

H. C. S. Lewis - "If ours is an examined faith, we should be unafraid to doubt. If doubt is
    eventually justified, we were believing what clearly was not worth believing. But if doubt is
    answered, our faith has grown stronger. It knows God more certainly and it can enjoy God
    more deeply."

Francis Bacon - "If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be
    content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties

I have faith in the message of the Bible

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask
    Both list some scientific evidence for the belief in God.

Just one little morsel of evidence is all I ask. However, I know you're at work at the moment (I assume you actually do some work when you're at work, right?) so won't bother you now. Maybe when you get a chance, though, you could encapsulate the evidence. I am certain there are many in here who would be delighted to entertain it.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Just one little morsel of evidence is all I ask. However, I know you're at work at the moment (I assume you actually do some work when you're at work, right?) so won't bother you now. Maybe when you get a chance, though, you could encapsulate the evidence. I am certain there are many in here who would be delighted to entertain it

Philisophical or scientific?

Which do you prefer and yes, you are correct I am at work and while I type really fast ( explains all the typos eh?), I don't always have time for an indepth post.

• bohm
    bohm

PS -- my request would be for scientific evidence.

• Terry
    Terry

Thomas displayed DOUBT about the reality of the "Jesus" he was encountering and demonstrated a need to TOUCH (verify) what was before him.

What did Jesus say about his "FAITH"?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PS -- my request would be for scientific evidence.

Cliff notes versions, for me:

The physical constants of the universe and evidence of creation (big bang) to me are evidence of God.

By God I mean not only the first cause of all creation (the cause of the "big bang") but also the fine tuner of the physical constans that we have.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    The physical constants of the universe and evidence of creation (big bang) to me are evidence of God.
    By God I mean not only the first cause of all creation (the cause of the "big bang") but also the fine tuner of the physical constans that we have.

Truly, truly.

http://bible.cc/hebrews/1-3.htm

Syl

• caliber
    caliber

Thomas displayed DOUBT about the reality of the "Jesus" he was encountering and demonstrated a need to TOUCH (verify) what was before him.
    What did Jesus say about his "FAITH"?

Eight days later, Jesus appears before His disciples again: "A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, 'Peace be with you!' Then he said to Thomas, 'Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe .' Thomas said to him, 'My Lord and my God!' Then Jesus told him, 'Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed' (John 20:26-29).

Francis Bacon - "If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be
    content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties

• bohm
    bohm

PS -- just to make it clear, which constants are we talking about?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Off the top of my head...

Speed of light in a vacum, constant of gravitation, elementary charge, electron mass, proton mass...can't think of any more, LOL !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit