I need a show of hands: who believes the Bible and to what extent?

by Terry 206 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

I'll start off.

I don't believe anything is divine about bible writings. I believe there may be some marginal history although not much. I think alot of folk tales and regional myths are contained in the Old Testament. I think after the Jews returned to their homeland and pieced together a consensus most of it had been strongly corrupted by the Babylonian exile.

The NT has nothing divine.

I don't think any of the things which got written down were actual quotations. They were reconstructions like FAN FICTIONS purporting to dramatize the word of mouth stories about a mystical, magical messiah named Yeshuah.

I don't think even the epistles (which probably came first before the Gospels) were considered "inspired" and so nobody bothered to protect the "autograph manuscript orginals." Gradually an aura of divinity came to be ascribed.

Sort of like Van Gogh's paintings. You couldn't give them away for years and then they gathered a cachet of "genius" and are now priceless.

There is no divine communication between God and man.

It is a fiction of the church.

Now, how about YOU? Break it down for us.

Thanks

• zoiks
    zoiks

Terry,

I don't have enough time to expound upon it right now, but... you described my feelings about the bible pretty accurately.

I do not believe it to be inspired of anything other than the motives of those who wrote, altered, and compiled the written works that it contains.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I believe a decent bit of the Israel/Judah history is fairly accurate.

I think the Proverbs and Ecclesiastes have some good advice here and there.

Hmm. Inspired? No more (or less) than this thread.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The following two passages are pretty good advice.

Exodus 20:16"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour."

Matthew 7:12 " So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them. . ."

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Mad, I didn't know what I was going to type, but I think I'll just co-sign your sentiments.

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

Uninspired, in all possible senses of the word.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I believe the bible writings are based on perceptions unique to the people who wrote them. These perceptions could have been influenced by environment, things they were taught, things that they couldn't explain without resorting to the 'supernatural', peer pressure, intoxication, mental illness, or just about anything.

An 'omnipotent' being would probably have better communication skills, and people wouldn't have to be arguing about it thousands of years later.

W

• bohm
    bohm

I believe many of the people the bible talk about post-moses have lived, including jesus. but i dont believe in any of the magical stuff, in particular God.

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

I think the Jewish Bible was written by Jews for Jews. I think the Christian Bible was written by Jews for Jews who believed their Jesus was the promised Messiah. Period.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I believe the message of the Bible to be inspired, namely, we are mortally flawed creatures who are desperately in need of a Savior.

I believe the God of the Bible to be that Savior.

I believe the Bible itself is only as inerrant as the men who compiled it.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit