Are they really that bad???

by anonymous4 310 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• anonymous4
    anonymous4

Believe what you like. I honestly came across this site about that time ago and I applied to be a member. It took a while and I started using another email. So when I did check my email adress I found I was now a member and yesterday was my first time here.

I'm not a JW. I'm a 19 year old, tongue speaking pentecostal. There ya go.

I've studied the watchtower mags and many of their books over the last couple years. I bought them on ebay once out of interest and now have quite a collection I've read. I have never actually had a proper study although attended two thursday night meetings.

Now that I feel i've reached a point of unbelief in the church I am currently in, I was thinking of leaving and properly seeing about going along to JW meetings. The pentecostal church I'm in is very small, 600 or so. We get called a cult and, we prob are. I feel like i've lived a lie the last few years and that i've been worshipping the wrong god and doing all sorts of practices that are not from God. Feel terrible now and finally, I think/thought I had found the truth and wanted to get more involved. The only thing I don't want is to get involved in another cult.

Curtains- sorry, maybe a bit unclear. Let met explain what I meant further:

I thought by what you said you meant that be getting involved it would cause lots of division and hurt within the family? Maybe you didn't mean that.

That's why I posted the verses to show that even Jesus said that would happen if you follow him.

Anyway who cares.

I just wanted some advice cause I wasn't sure what to do and feel a bit upset about everything.

I love my bible and love learning new things from it. Maybe that's not what usual people do who are not already JWs, but that's what I do.

I'm not gonna stay around here but i'll leave my email if anyone has anymore info or anything they would like to share, or even just to chat:

[email protected]

thanks all

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    They use God's real name

There are tons of places you can go on the internet to see about that. They don't use God's real name, they use a Latinized common-usage version of the tetragrammaton. They like to blow this out of proportion to say they are "the truth" and everybody else is a lie because they don't even use God's name. Many religions recognize the name in the scriptures and some use "Jehovah" and others don't. Some recognize the improper usage of it and avoid it.

You can google search "the name Jehovah" and start there with whether they are accurate, whether they are the only ones using that name, whether it really matters, etc. Here's a couple of food for thought items:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVigeDV6ECM&feature=related

Here's one that makes you think on how they think using the name is a protection: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/3835/1/Jehovahs-Name

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Wasblind, pm'ed you back!

• designs
    designs

So Stephen why did 'Paul' portray a fallacious view of Judaism and why are the things attributed to the 'Jesus' character in the Gospels so blatantly non-Jewish.

If you are going to knock the JW views you should be at least willing, somewhere along the line, to look honestly at your own Beliefs and views.

• wasblind
    wasblind

" I love my bible and love learning new things from it. Maybe that's not what usual people do who are not already JWs, but that's what I do."

You hit the Nail on the head A4, I was sucked in at the door, because I didn't really read my bible like I should have.

they offered me a bible study which was a lie, it was a study of their literature, and the only time I read the bible

during the study was to recite the scripture they already had in the mag. If I seemed harsh, please forgive me

but if you have studied your bible like you say you have, reading their literature should have set off some alarms

it did'nt for me cause I didn't read my bible as much as you say you read yours, but once I put down their books

and picked up the bible only alarms when off, and loud

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They use God's real name and they don't teach of eternal hell fire, all go to heaven, and the trinity which I was brainwashed into believing from a young age. When I first started learning I felt it was a breath of fresh air compared to all the other crap i'd been taught from baptists, pentecostals etc.

OnTheWayOut touched on this but I would like to add: God's real name is NOT Jehovah; eternal hellfire, all to to heaven, and the trinity ALL have just as much Biblical support as their WT doctrine counterparts. The Bible is that kind of book: you can make it mean whatever you wish by picking some scriptures as literal and others as figurative; all religions do that and the Jehovah's Witnesses are no exception. What makes them unique among Christian denominations, however, is they wrote their own version of the Bible.

If you truly believe JWs are "the truth" without having had a personal Bible study with any of them, then you have succumbed to the psychological mind control techniques they use in their literature. You ask for us to post scriptural reasons why they are wrong about many things. The research has been done; no need to reinvent the wheel. Go to:

www.jwfacts.com and www.freeminds.org for doctrinal, psychological, and personal information about JWs.

They appear benign but seriously if you join, you will be giving up your intellectual, mental, and to some extent even your physical freedom to an 19th century adventist cult.

• Curtains
    Curtains

Curtains- sorry, maybe a bit unclear. Let met explain what I meant further:

I thought by what you said you meant that be getting involved it would cause lots of division and hurt within the family? Maybe you didn't mean that.

That's why I posted the verses to show that even Jesus said that would happen if you follow him.

anon4 - thanks for explaining. Although the above happens that is not what I meant. What I did mean is the degree to which you must give up your own life, submerge your own personality and deny yourself to slave for the watchtower organisation. For example further education is strongly discouraged. Families must always put the organisaton and its rules first. Christmas, birthdays, Easter etc are not allowed. This is bad enough but children as young as 4 and 5 must demonstrate this loyalty at school. If they don't they have to deal with the pressure of losing friends and standing in the congregation. Women are marginalised and taught to be subservient to baptized males - this applies even if the male is a child of 14. Meetings are geared towards doing more preaching to advertize that the organisation is the mouthpiece of god. Jesus Christ is also marginalised. Emotion and spontaniety is suppressed and many witnesses suffer depression. These are some of the things that are required of Jehovahs witnesses and that do violence to people. I agree that to some extent other religions and even culture itself does this but it is the extremes to which a JW is required to go that I find worrying and am warning you about.

• wasblind
    wasblind

" If you truly believe JWs are "the truth" without having had a personal Bible study with any of them, then you have succumbed to the psychological mind control techniques they use in their literature. You ask for us to post scriptural reasons why they are wrong about many things. The research has been done; no need to reinvent the wheel."

Amen to that Mad Sweeny

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

HERE IS MORE OF THEIR CRAP. WATCHTOWER 15/8/1968 "ARE WE TO PRESUME THE BATTLE OF ARMAGEDDON WILL BE OVER BY THE AUTUME OF 1975? IT MAY INVOLVE WEEKS OR MONTHS, NOT "YEARS". AWAKE MARCH 22/1993 page 4 "JEHOVAH'S WITNESS HAVE SUGGESTED DATES THAT TURNED OUT TO BE WRONG. NEVER DID THEY SAY "THESE ARE THE WORDS OF JEHOVAH." THE AWAKE MAG. FROM MARCH 1988 UNTIL OCTOBER 1995 INSIDE COVER SAYS "THE CREATOR "PROMISES A NEW WORLD BEFORE "THE GENERATION OF 1914 PASSES AWAY." WHO LIED GOD OR J.W.? " REVELATION CLIMAX BOOK PAGES 194-195 " says "WHAT IS THIS IMAGE? THIS IMAGE IS SUPPORTED BY BRITAIN AND THE UNITED STATES AND KNOWN AS "THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS." AMERICA WAS NEVER A MEMBER OF THE "LEAGUE OF NATIONS."

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I'm not a JW. I'm a 19 year old, tongue speaking pentecostal. There ya go.

Well you have the art of placebo down pretty well then. You should fit right in with the Witnesses.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit