Are they really that bad???

by anonymous4 310 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• anonymous4
    anonymous4

Had a good look into the doctrine, beliefs and practices of JWs and to be honest, I don't really see anything wrong with it at all.

It's biblical and I've had such an eye opener the past year or so reading some of their books and magazines . Is there really any real reasons why I shouldn't want to get involved further? :-)

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

LOL...erm stick around and you might have a change of heart...then again if you fancy throwing away some years of your life under the rule of a few men...you're free to choose...but please dont fool yourself that you're doing it for God...that'd be wrong...

Loz x

PS Welcome !

• heathen
    heathen

heck of a first post. Just because everyone here has had bad experiences might not be enough proof that this cult is a funny farm for misfits and control freaks . Go right ahead and give it a whirl , if you can't identify the problems on your own we will try to help. Don't tell them you come here , the first thing they will do is try to control your internet activity .

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Go for it!!!

But if you ever change your mind about it you will be royally f'ed.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Is there really any real reasons why I shouldn't want to get involved further?

Yes. They aren't telling you everything. In fact they are only dangling the carrot.

Remember: If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

• jay88
  • pirata
    pirata

Hi anonymous4,

Most JWs I know are good people. have no problems with many of the Biblical interpretations of the group. I admire how they stick so closely to Christian Morals and convictions.

What I found troubling though is that:

• they insist that they are the only true religion on earth
    • that only the Governing Body is given deep spiritual insight
    • that we must obey the governing body without question,
    • that any who continue to privately believe something different than the official teachings will be disfellowshipped and shunned
    • that areas of the Bible that are open to interpretation (ie. blood transfusions), are made hard and fast rules that affect peoples lives
    • that areas that are not mentioned in the bible are banned or have at one time been banned (organ transplants, oral sex between marriage mates)
    • that the organization makes the claim of being guided by God, but has repeatedly changed teachings, some in direct opposition to the previous teaching, then returning to the completely opposite teaching, and saying that the Holy Spirit guided all that. If you dispute the changes (or anything else for that matter), you're either not humble or an apostate.
    • that you will be shunned by your JW family/friends if you change your beliefs
    • that pinatas, wedding rings, and umbrellas, all which have pagan origins are okay; But toasting and other holidays which have pagan origins are not. The rules are very arbitraty.
    • that research outside the organization's on scriptural matters is strongly discouraged. That researching opposing points of view is highly discouraged (and potentially a disfellowshipping offense).

Check out http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk and http://www.jwfacts.com/ for Watchtower references that will confirm the above points. If you don't trust any of the quotes, we can provide scans of the originals or they can be found in the Watchtower Library CD-ROM.

Keep on searching and investigating. I'm not going to say either way what you should do, but make sure you do it with full knowledge of what you're getting into.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Most cults look really good at the start it is not until you are trapped inside that you realized to late what a mistake you made.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

anonymous4, Read Jeremiah 25:11. At the top of their own Bible it states "70 years exile due." Even tho the Bible says they will serve the King of Babylon 70 years, they say God was wrong. Their book "Insight on the Scriptures", Vol. 2, page 332, they even quote Jeremiah 11, the very next paragraph they say, "Even before the end of the 70 years of exile, Babylon fell, in 539 B.C.E." Babylon did fall in 539 but AFTER the 70 years of exile. Who do you think was right, God or the organization? They believe Judah was desolated in 607, thats another lie. So many more lies but stay here and you will see them.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Is there really any real reasons why I shouldn't want to get involved further?

Just one. To start. Every Watchtower leader who put into print the promise and said it was from Jehovah Himself "you will never die and live forever if you follow us", is dead.

No exceptions.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit