Are you afraid of the Ouija board still?

by cyberjesus 193 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Excellent post, Satanus.

There are apparently several flavours of atheism, at least with respect to the definition provided above. I will accept that. But to absolutely not believe in a diety but to be only skeptical about there being other supernatural stuff out there is more in line with agnostic thinking.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Nick Sir thank you for this opportunity, i waited all week :-)

As I said, I didn't want to start an argument,

>>you dont want to start an argument however you make unfounded statements about me what I know and suggestions about what i havent read. so unless you assume I would not call you on it then i wouldnt expect to have an argument. Anyway I am calling you on it and I ask you to back up your statement.

but you're still blowing smoke out your ass. (It's an expression, Cyberjesus, lighten up)

>> please back up your second assertion. OR explain what you mean by your expression and then back it up.. either way. DOnt need to lighten up, that is an assumption. So also back up that please

You are not an atheist is you believe in supernatural anything.

>>I assume you mean if you believe in supernatural anything... Is that right? An Atheist my friend is simple someone who lacks the belief on a THEOS. thats why is ATHEIST. no belief in a God. Simple.Thats it........ Do most atheist also lack a belief on supernatural things? SURE but not because they are atheist but because they are skeptical of things for which there is no evidence. PERIOD. No believeing in the supernatural is not a quality of being ATHEIST is a quality of the SKEPTICAL. There are THEISTS who also dont believe in the SUPERNATURAL

Please provide a single quote from any of the three books you have apparently read which will support your contention that atheists have even the most miniscule belief in the paranormal. I'll wait.

>>First I dont need to provide any evidence of anything because the person who is making the accusations of my lack of knowledge regarding Atheism is you, the burden of proof is on your side. So YOU are the one who needs to provide evidence that I dont know what an Atheist is. BUt if you need help you can look on my other posts and you can get it because I happen to post that information on the past.....

>>Second, can you please provide evidence WHERE did I SAID or hinted that atheists have a miniscule belief in the paranormal? Cuz I cant find it. Unless that was a revelation but I highly doubt it.

>>FYI If you really like Sam Harris then I invite you to come listen he will be at CALTECH Oct 26. I have tickets and its gonna be as amussing as Richard Dawkins was 2 weeks ago.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Intense, cyberjesus. A little pedantic too, but mostly intense. Seems from the emotion oozing out of your post as if you are going the extra mile to prove (I said "seems", yes, no evidence) that you are the superior athiest. Ok. I'll go with that if it makes you feel better. Hope it makes it up between you and me, this little spat.

Was that a serious invitation to come with you to see Sam Harris?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

budhists are atheists and believe on the supernatural

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

of course it was serious I dont bluff :-)

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

" if it makes you feel better"

haha it is not about me feeling better. it has to do with making unfounded statements. And yeah I have no problem with you, only with unfounded assumptions. We can have a drink anytime :-)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Well, maybe we should define the word god, then. http://www.yourdictionary.com/god

god definition Hear it!

god ( gäd, gôd )

noun

1. any of various beings conceived of as supernatural, immortal, and having special powers over the lives and affairs of people and the course of nature; deity, esp. a male deity: typically considered objects of worship
    2. an image that is worshiped; idol
    3. a person or thing deified or excessively honored and admired
    4. in monotheistic religions, the creator and ruler of the universe, regarded as eternal, infinite, all-powerful, and all-knowing; Supreme Being; the Almighty

Origin: ME < OE, akin to Ger gott, Goth guth, prob. < IE base *ghau-, to call out to, invoke > Sans havaté, (he) calls upon

--------

A person could therefore believe in a spirit world that did not contain any gods. The universe could be seen as a natural process that originated from an unkowable source, in a natural way, perhaps that way that a puffball sends out spores. The puffball isn't a god, and it would certainly be stupid to worship it, just because it shot out spores. The spores, afterall, are the same thing, potentially, as the puffball. Using this analogy, we are the same thing as our source is. Perhaps, we are more, if a person takes into account the evolutionary principle. So, why worship? The idea of worship could be seen as absolutely unnecesary, even stupid.

S

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Fabulous. First, I have reread your post and understand now that I misunderstood what you were saying. Paradigm shift. My paradigm was that you were splitting hairs and I called you on it. I see now you are just helping me sharpen my perspective on atheism - to be honest, to which I have only recently subscribed. I apologize for the insult.

I'd love to go. Six days is not much notice. Will have to see if I can clear my calendar. Thanks.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

A person could therefore believe in a spirit world that did not contain any gods. The universe could be seen as a natural process that originated from an unkowable source, in a natural way, perhaps that way that a puffball sends out spores. The idea of worship could be seen as absolutely unnecesary, even stupid.

See, that's where I stumble. It seems as if I am hearing there are religious atheists, which to me sounds like pregnant virgins (and similar such contradictions). Not this one. I am learning a lot from this thread.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

satanus, excellent! I still wanna play the ouija.... maybe a waste of time uh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit