Some christmas spirit, WT style!

by bohm 86 Replies latest jw friends

• debator
    debator

If you want my personal opinion of Christmas I think Satan is not so subtly thumbing his nose at Jesus with it.

Basically saying "I can get people to celebrate satan-nalia instead. I can make them worship a fictional coke advert called Satan oops Santa and do it on a celebration where your beloved cousin who baptised you was murdered and beheaded. I can make them get drunk and sinful all in your name. Then do it again on New year a few days later. I can make them spend more money than they can afford, making spending a huge part of it, knowing how much you dislike the 'love of money'".

No thanks Satan can keep his celebration it holds no appeal. Upbuilding Family gatherings, loving one another can all be done without paying Satan his due.

I use pagan built Roman Roads too there is lot of difference between stuff set up by the governments around aka roads and calenders (caesars things) that we have to use and having freedom to choose what we recognise and celebrate.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Hey Debator:

Check out this advice given in the article about Pinatas in the *** Awake! g03 9/22 pp. 23-24 The Piñata-An Ancient Tradition *** article:

When considering whether to include a piñata at a social gathering, Christians should be sensitive to the consciences of others. (1 Corinthians 10:31-33) A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues. The Bible says: "Let each one keep seeking, not his own advantage, but that of the other person."-1 Corinthians 10:24.

As a follow up a while later in the Awake! magazine, a Questions from Readers revisited the issue:

Check out this logic, straight from your own Awake! July 8th, 2004 QFR. The advice given on Pinatas clearly falls in harmony with the scriptural insight given in Colossians 2:16. "However, if it is very obvious that a custom has no current false religious significance and involves no violation of Bible principals, each Christian must make a personal decision as to whether he will follow such a custom."

Talk about speaking out of both sides of your mouth!!! So how many people dance around the Christmas tree today in honour of Saturnalia???? NO ONE DOES, and this is the point so well made by the above quoted Awake! articles. These are merely customs now that have no bearing in the here and now, and have been made GOOD. Sure, the Bible states to "keep away from the unclean things" but it also speaks of things being made good again, the taking back of days for God, etc.

The whole wedding anniversary being allowed is a prime example of this. The argument is used that this honours the marriage arrangement, all the while ignoring the fact that it elevates two people above and gives honour and praise to their marriage, much as a b-day does to an individual. Also, the very emblems of marriage (rings, gowns, etc, etc) ALL have their origins in pagan customs, yet I don't see JW's running screaming away from them.

Debator/Renai, consider your dumb ass SERVED. You're too stupid to speak, much less THINK. Try cracking a freakin dictionary instead of the Awake! or WT so often and you might actually learn something. Hypocrite!!!!

- Wing Commander

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa said:

If you want my personal opinion of Christmas I think Satan is not so subtly thumbing his nose at Jesus with it.

My reply: Thanks for YOUR OPINION. Others see it differently.

You continued:

Basically saying "I can get people to celebrate satan-nalia instead. I can make them worship a fictional coke advert called Satan oops Santa and do it on a celebration where your beloved cousin who baptised you was murdered and beheaded. I can make them get drunk and sinful all in your name. Then do it again on New year a few days later. I can make them spend more money than they can afford, making spending a huge part of it, kowing how much you dislike the 'love of money'".

My reply: Again, thanks for YOUR opinion.

Reniaa concluded:

No thanks Satan can keep his celebration it holds no appeal. Upbuilding Family gatherings, loving one another can all be done without paying Satan's his due.

My reply: Thanks for your conclusion based off of YOUR opinion.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Wing Commander, I wonder if the leniency toward pinatas, a Mexican custom, was done to soften their appearance in a country they were seeking recognition from?

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

isaacaustin:

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! I thought of this the very first time I read it!!! How else can it just be explained away so conveniently????? Nothing like appeasing the country you want so desperately to make converts from, aye? (Mexico) Hmmmm.....seems I remember the Catholics doing the same thing in pagan countries back in the Dark Ages and during The Crusades, no??

I mean hell, let's take some American "customs" with their origins in "false religion" and do the same thing, shall we????

Let's see......by this logic, Halloween can instantly become a conscience matter now, right?????

You can't say Thanksgiving or Mother's & Father's Day, because they already have BIBLICAL SUPPORT!! Thanksgiving from the Jewish Festival of Boothes, and Mother's & Father's Day from the very 10 Commandments themselves, which encourage one to "Honour thy father and thy mother."

- Wing Commander

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

WC, it is all about starting when they are kids and separating them from classmates so they won't fit in...so they will have no support system outside of other witnesses and will be less likely to leave- or come back if they do.

Wedding anniversaries are between the couple, and if friends are included they are likely other JWs.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I know isaacaustin, because I was raised as one of THEM.

- WC

• xchange
    xchange

Debator said:

Jesus didn't celebrate Birthdays so I don't!

Jesus didn't play Xbox 360 so I don't!
  • isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Me too WC.

I am glad you are free!

• debator
    debator

Hi xchange

false analogy

Xbox's weren't around then Birthdays were. Jesus knew his cousin was beheaded and murdered at a pagan birthday celebration. Jesus saw these celebrations and felt no need to do them, why would anyone do differently?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit