Some christmas spirit, WT style!

by bohm 86 Replies latest jw friends

• Dumi
    Dumi

Has everybody noticed that all the men in the picture are wearing their ties??... they really have no clue what happens on christmas day...

• Dumi
    Dumi

I suppose thats the only time these lot have fun... during a photo-shoot with props trying to depict what the GB thinks of christmas... they must secretly wish for such topics to be discussed each year, so they can goe for photo-shoots more often

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

And now, let us some Bible verses that the JW's absolutely HATE, and ones I never even really knew existing until after I grew up, because they weren't covered in WT articles, discussions, etc. How covenient!!!!

These scriptures support festivals, b-days, etc. Eat this, WatchTower apologists!!!

HOLIDAYS: Colossians 2:16 says, "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by food, drink, a religious festival, New Moon celebration or Sabbath day." Yet some do and accept money, use day and month names, rings etc that allegedly "have pagan origins" while denying children and adults the "joy" (Ga 5:22) of Christmas, birthdays etc.

THANKSGIVING: Began as the annual autumn harvest in Hebrew called "Festival of Booths" or "Festival of Ingathering" (of crops with thanks to Him) (Lev 23:33, Deu 16:13) now celebrated in numerous nations on many continents.

CHRISTMAS: Which is December 25th the date of the first Jewish festival of Hanukkah now varying because lunar based, so Roman Saturnalia may not be its only origin. Christ was at the Feast of Dedication, another name for Hanukkah. (Jn 10:22) Santa was based on an actual Christian (Saint Nicholas) famed for giving gifts in the Middle Ages. Also, there is a bible verse (I'm sorry I forget the exact verse) that states even the angels in heaven rejoiced and sang praises when Christ Jesus was born. So it's good enough for the angels to rejoice and sing about Jesus' birth, but not the JW's? WTF???

NEW YEARS: God began the Jewish New Year's celebration Rosh Hashanah at Lev 23. Without excess drinking it's biblically fine.

As can be plainly see from the above recorded history, some of the very "holidays" that JW's frown upon today were started by the very Jews that they so closely resemble. Pathetic!!!! The one about Thanksgiving really hit me hard. I just KNEW as a child that there was nothing wrong wtih Thanksgiving!!!

- Wing Commander

• Dumi
    Dumi

Hey Wingcommander

Seems you got it spot on there, after all Jehovah is a happy god... why would he not want his people to be happy??

Ecclesiastes 3:22 And I have seen that there is nothing better than that the man should rejoice in his works, for that is his portion; because who will bring him in to look on what is going to be after him?

I am in a quest to prove each holiday to my self whether I will celebrate or not, afterall I am now trully the captain of my soul...

• debator
    debator

Hi wingcommander

It's a pity you didn't present all this "Evidence" to the Jews and first century Christians that despite seeing pagans celebrating Birthdays around them didn't feel these scriptures allowed for celebrating them unlike you.

BTW col 2:16 is a reference to Jewish festivals not pagans ones and in simply allowing Jewish Christians the personal choice of continuing Jewish festivals if they wanted too. While showing they no longer held the same importance so Gentile Christians where not required to start observing Jewish festivals. It was never seen as a licence to jump into Pagan celebrations.

Angels celebrating Jesus's actual Birth itself as an excuse to pick an entirely different day for his Birthday and celebrate this annually? When clearly the Christians after reading the Gospels did not feel so inclined to do the same. Why didn't we get the date of his Birth from the no less than four Gospels written about him?

Using out-of-context Scriptures to provide loopholes to do what you want is just dishonest

Jesus didn't celebrate Birthdays so I don't!

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa said:

Hi wingcommander

It's a pity you didn't present all this "Evidence" to the Jews and first century Christians that despite seeing pagans celebrating Birthdays around them didn't feel these scriptures allowed for celebrating them unlike you.

My reply: That they felt it was wrong to celbrate these days is unproven, and simply asserted by your pagan god, the GB.

Reniaa said:

BTW col 2:16 is a reference to Jewish festivals not pagans ones and in simply allowing Jewish Christians the personal choice of continuing Jewish festivals if they wanted too. While showing they no longer held the same importance so Gentile Christians where not required to start observing Jewish festivals. It was never seen as a licence to jump into Pagan celebrations.

My reply: However, Romans is not a reference to only Jewish festivals. But let's run with your logic. Go celebrate the Festival of Booths. You would be Dfed as an apostate just as quickly as one celebrating any other holiday. Why has your pagan god the GB taken away from JWs the freedom that even you claim Paul gave them?

Reniaa said:

Angels celebrating Jesus's actual Birth itself as an excuse to pick an entirely different day for his Birthday and celebrate this annually? When clearly the Christians after reading the Gospels did not feel so inclined to do the same. Why didn't we get the date of his Birth from the no less than four Gospels written about him?

My reply: Just irrelevant babble...based on circular reasoning

Reniaa said:

Using out-of-context Scriptures to provide loopholes to do what you want is just dishonest

My reply: Baseless assertion

Reniaa said:

Jesus didn't celebrate Birthdays so I don't!

My reply: Wrong! You do not because your pagan god said you can't.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

debator

Why do you still use a pagan calender?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

the pagan WT god has not banned its members from the use of calendars DD. But that can change at any time, with or without notice.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I definitely think the picture depicted a cheesy decor. First, they did a complete dubber's job on rigging up the lights--I would be completely embarrassed to claim to have rigged up those lights because they look like they were just thrown up. I usually put up mamy more lights than that, and they are much straighter than that. Additionally, my Christmas tree is loaded with lights and ornaments from the inside out. And, I just replaced my star topper because the green LEDs quit lighting (it would cycle from magenta to red, to magenta, to blue, to magenta to red, to yellow and green, then white, and back when working).

They ought to be thankful I didn't rig the lights and the decorations. Otherwise, the witlesses taking the picture would be stumbled for life.

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

''the pagan WT god has not banned its members from the use of calendars DD. But that can change at any time, with or without notice.''

Just like 'this Generation' doctrine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit