My Apologies to Christians.

by AK - Jeff 119 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Do you recall, Gregor, when we were on opposite sides of this debate? I, the Christian, searching for my place in that vast ideology. You, the already convinced atheists?

At the time - what two or three years back - I would have never believed that I would agree with you on this subject. I do. It is a fascinating journey to behold when one looks back and realized how quickly things can change once the shackles of religious blindness are gone.

Tammy - yes, this is the statement I made:

So while some of the virtues mentioned by Jesus are commendable, I believe mine to be equal or superior

And I stand by it. I find no particularly impressive teaching in what Jesus taught - at least from the standpoint of being vastly, overwhelmingly, amazingly, superior to the values espoused by almost every good and respectable person I know, including myself. In fact, I find some of Jesus' so called 'moral' principles to be plain wrong, depending on the situation. Take the 'turn the other cheek' idea. There are times in which that is just plain bad teaching. If someone threatens someone, or his family, then self-defense in order. Jesus made no allowance for that. Some Christian organizations have been known to 'mollify' this command in the teachings of the religion - but the pure believer in Jesus, if faithful, would have to do just as they are told - turn the other cheek, allow bullies, or criminals, or violent persons to just run over them. Jesus' teaching here seems to me to be pacifism. Gandhi agreed with this value - I don't.

Those of us who understand that we are just the highest of animals on the planet, know this principle will not work. We are relatively civil and peaceful animals, but underlying that, we are predators - our eyes face forward. We just don't all that often attack our own. Still -Pacifist nations would be obliterated. Pacifist individuals too, if the right challenger came along.

It is in these areas that I believe my virtues differ from Jesus' and in fact are superior to Jesus' teachings. Animals, even those at the apex of the food chain, encounter predators - predators will kill, or maim you and those you love if you 'turn the other cheek'. Before you go citing some anecdotal experience that proves this wrong in one case or another - understand that I am not talking about the occasional variance - I am talking about the general rule. The strong survive - they eat the weak.

And before you go accusing me of becoming the bully in that manner - understand that I am generally quite peaceful - I don't come across as aggressive physically - I don't seek the fight. In fact, I have rarely ever has to use my own advise. Yet, if it came to that - I would. Without mercy.

Jesus' was wrong. It's a nice sales pitch - but it doesn't work in real life.

I would expect the 'Christian' response to be either, "That's not what he meant." Where have we heard that before? Or, 'but what if everyone followed that rule of love?' Fact is - That is allegedly what He said - who can know what shades of meaning he might have had [well for that matter, if he actually even said it.] And since the whole world isn't going to 'go Jesus' anytime soon it won't work. It is just fact - though we have evolved to a place advanced to other animals, we retain the genes of cave-dwellers - and sometimes that means we have to defend ourselves - even defend ourselves with lethal force, especially against those of our own species.

I know that to the Christian those statements represent blasphemy. Well, if that is your opinion, so be it. How can I concern myself with the concept to be honest? No god means no blasphemy.

I hope that all made sense to you. That is just one virtue that came to mind in which Jesus was full of shyte IMHO.

Jeff

• TastingFreedom
    TastingFreedom

jeff - God bless you for your wisdom!

Jesus has already saved you from ignorance, that's something!

• tec
    tec

I hope that all made sense to you.

You explain yourself well. I just don't agree with you on many things.

I'm not going to say that 'this is not what Jesus meant' or 'but it would work if everyone followed the rule of love' - though this, perhaps, could be said. If it (turn the other cheek/do no harm even to your enemies) isn't what Jesus meant, then I apologize, because I do take it at face value. I think I can believe this because I trust him, and have faith in Him. I'm not sure that it was just pacifism, though, but also trust in your Father, that he will not let you come to harm (spiritual life being more important than flesh) and also, that we should cause no harm because we are not in a position to be compassionate and inerrant in judging others.

I also believe violence begets more violence - as it has proven countless times to do so. I think the better way to fight violence is with non-violence (as Ghandi did), and I think an even better way is to trust in Christ and return violence with compassion and mercy and love. Maybe, Jeff, in a thousand years, the human race will have evolved to become a race who wouldn't think of causing harm to one another. I assume that would be at least part of the humanist goal. Maybe pacifists are just ahead of the curve ;)

I am sorry, however, that you had the strength to escape the WTS, only to be judged as immoral and/or depraved, etc..., by the 'Christians' surrounding you.

Tammy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I'm going to state the obvious, Tammy. A pacifist woman will throw away her "violence begets violence" ethics if she has a weapon within reach when she's about to be raped, or she will be glad some cop showed up and shot the guy even if he died. Go ahead and say that's not what Jesus meant. Men will throw it away in a similar situation- it just doesn't come up as often.

Once we establish exceptions to the rules, then we need to establish who decides what the rules mean, who interprets them, what exceptions are allowed.

It's the same with all of the Bible.

• tec
    tec

OTWO - you're right. If I were about to be raped, I would do my best to fight and escape. I would more than likely fail, mind you, and so I would more than likely be even more hurt - but that pain would likely be less than that of submitting to such a degrading crime. I can honestly tell you, however, (and I have thought about this scenario) that if I got the upper hand and I held in my hand a weapon that could bash or seriously hurt or kill my attacker... I don't think I could do it.

I don't think I have that in me - no matter what harm is being committed against me.

Tammy

• Gregor
    Gregor

I don't think I have that in me - no matter what harm is being committed against me.

Tammy

This is pure, distilled, self righteousness. It also makes you mentally prepared to be a victim should the occasion arise. I hope it never does.

• tec
    tec

This is pure, distilled, self righteousness.

Gregor, isn't self-righteousness thinking that I'm better than everyone else? I don't think this at all. I could misunderstand these words, even. But when I say I don't think I have it in me (killing or seriously harming another person even in self-defense), I am just being honest with myself and those who ask me about it - even if it is wrong, I don't think I have it in me.

Tammy

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Tammy - I do appreciate your honesty here. We have agreed not to agree, for the most part. Perhaps we have gained some perspective along the way.

You make a good point here:

Maybe, Jeff, in a thousand years, the human race will have evolved to become a race who wouldn't think of causing harm to one another. I assume that would be at least part of the humanist goal. Maybe pacifists are just ahead of the curve ;)

Indeed. However, under Jesus, Gandhi, MLK, nothing close to that has occurred. Jesus has had 2000 years - and yet the record is bloody, isn't it? Most wars can be traced back to underlying religious differences - differences in which Christians have certainly not 'turned the other cheek'. Evolution won out over religion - as I believe it always will in the end. If we ever gain the 'utopia' of which you speak, I imagine that will have resulted from mankind's ability to adapt and adjust as a species under threat, and not to the blanket application of Jesus words. Same result - but far different pathway. I think it not likely in any case, unfortunately.

I am sorry, however, that you had the strength to escape the WTS, only to be judged as immoral and/or depraved, etc..., by the 'Christians' surrounding you.

Well, that is unfortunately the nature of most Christians. Judging others is top priority, it's what they do. As cruel as that seems when stated - I don't mean it unkindly. It is the nature of the beast - religion by it's very makeup is a 'we have found the light, you poor bastards are missing out' ideology. And, who can blame them? It would be natural to think yourself just a bit better off [if not immensely so], if you have found the 'truth' 'enlightenment' that others have not. Especially if you think you have been personally touched by the 'truth-maker' himself in some spiritual way. That is why religion is a divider of mankind, never a uniter. Precisely why Jesus' words just don't work to achieve your hoped for 'utopia' and never will.

So too - when a Christian hears someone say they are an atheist. The hard wired response is that we have sunk to the bottom of the pit. The reality is far different - great enlightenment comes from understanding reality. It grounds you. Fantasy and 'faith' and 'hope' for things that cannot be shown positively to have any substance does the opposite. It fills our mind with goals and aspirations that have little to do with 'this life'. The goals are diametrical opposed to one another. Atheists know there is nothing else, so they work to make the world the best they can for themselves and their children. People of 'faith' just wait for 'reward', even if along the way they do good things - their heart is in Emerald City and meeting the Great Oz. Atheists already know that OZ is just created by a man behind the curtain, and so do not waste time trying to get there.

Peace to you

Jeff

• tec
    tec

Jeff, thank you for sharing your insights and for keeping things respectful.

Most wars can be traced back to underlying religious differences - differences in which Christians have certainly not 'turned the other cheek'

Yes, well, perhaps that's part of the problem? (Although, those wars would still have happened... for political or monetary power, for nationalism, to defend the wives and children from the barbaric and rapist 'whoevers', etc.)

But I digress...

If the humanist goal is to bring peace and justice and discovery to the world, then it is noble and worthy of respect. But if you, as humanists, are going to be better than those who came before you, if you're going to do better than those who came before you; you need to be more than just the flip side of a coin... and by this I mean thinking that you are right, there is no middle ground, and everyone who doesn't see things the way you do is lacking in some way.

People of all sorts of faith and non-faith seek peace for this world. Is that common ground not more important than working toward eradicating faith in general, in the face of your new enlightenment?

Otherwise, I just see the same story, different chapter.

Peace to you, Jeff, and to yours.

Tammy

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    People of all sorts of faith and non-faith seek peace for this world. Is that common ground not more important than working toward eradicating faith in general, in the face of your new enlightenment?

Yes. I am far more interested in 'wake up calls' for those people than eradication. Eradication sounds vulgar, as if accomplished by force, pogrom. If faith forever remains, as it well may among segments of society, I hope that all segments of society work in harmony to bring peace to the fullest extent.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit