One Reason Why I Speak About Racism

by snowbird 113 Replies latest jw experiences

• moshe
    moshe

Well, I know first hand that blacks can behave the same way as whites when they are in the super majority at work. It took me awhile to figure out that the "Solidairty forever" logos on the union election posters of black candidates, meant, "black solidarity forever" and no white man had ever gottten elected as a union president since 1948 at that plant of almost 2000 workers of which about 70% were black.- no matter how good the white man was, he never stood a chance.

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

That depends on what you're getting and what you were after.

Nope. If you were given something, somebody handed you a piece of what someone else accomplished

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    That is why I find it hard to understand why today many young black people do not do everything they can to claim the rights that Dr. King and others strove for and that he ultimately gave his life for.

I think the problems with black america nowadays started with the breakdown of the family unit. Noone gets married anymore. Families are not intact. Mothers have children with multiple fathers. There is often drama and hardship in those circumstances. The family is where education is supposed to begin. By the time I got to kindergarten I already knew how to read because my father taught me when I was three. And when I got home from school my parents were there to reinforce what the teacher taught. Also the home is where children are supposed to get their moral compass, learn how to function in society. The mothers and the grandmothers are getting younger and it has a negative impact on their children.

There is no longer a reason for anger....but there is every reason to get an education....knowledge is power.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Alot of unjust things still occur, just not on the scale or as overtly as in the past. I've been angry at many times in my life d/t situations where I knew I was being mistreated because of my race. You get angry; find a way to deal with it, and keep moving.

Do I feel that racism is a large problem in my life? No.

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

I think the problems black america nowadays started with the breakdown of the family unit. Noone gets married anymore. Families are not intact. Mothers have children with multiple fathers. There is often drama and hardship in those circumstances. The family is where education is supposed to begin. By the time I got to kindergarten I already knew how to read because my father taught me when I was three. And when I got home from school my parents were there to reinforce what the teacher taught. Also the home is where children are supposed to get their moral compass, learn how to function in society. The mothers and the grandmothers are getting younger and it has a negative impact on their children.

Bravo

What you describe is the problem with all of American society

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

If you're talking about segregation of any sort other than forced-by-law segregation, then your points are moot, mrs.jones.

That's funny cuz I haven't made any points yet.

You maybe surprised at my viewpoint. The segregation I point to is related to residency. I used to live in Oakland, Ca and it was great until my children became school age. My young young family and I lived near Lake Merritt in Oakland and my oldest two children attended a school by the name of Lakeview Elementary. Most of the student population of the Oakland school district are children of color with the majority of them being black. These children of color live mostly in the flatlands of Oakland (West Oakland, East Oakland, Friutvale, etc). There are white children within the Oakland school district, the majority of them live in the Oakland hills. I've been monitoring the yearly test scores of OSUD since my kids went there and the scores have never been pretty but they are intestesting. The higher scores are from the children who live in the hills, the worst scores are from the majority of students who live in the flatlands with the exception of the asian students who live in the Chinatown area (considered part of the Oakland flatlands). My husband and I believe one reason for the high test scores of the students in the hills is because of parent participation which in the flatlands is partically nil unless it has to do with a talent show or a ball game.

It was discouraging to be a parent of children who were in the Oakland school system. The victim mentality among the black parents was deeply engrained. The basic attitude of the Administration and the teachers was that the students didn't have the capacity to learn. At one point back in the late nineties one person associated with the Oakland school system even suggested that ebonics should be treated as a language and should be used to teach black children.

My husband I mistakenly assumed that our oldest was doing well. We had been told by his teachers that he was, even his test scores seemed to reflect that he was doing well in school. We had no idea until we enrolled our son in a four star school in Indiana (in a school district that is majority white) how badly the Oakland school district had failed our son. He was so far behind that his teacher thought he might have to be go back a grade but we lucked out with our son's teacher. She was a godsend, I got daily reports, she took the time to bring my son up to speed, he was also having behavioral problems controlling himself in class - she was on top of that also and I let her know that she had my full support and could call me any time if she needed me. She got my son through and for that I will always be greatful.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there is no forced segregation but it has been internalized just like the victim mentality among some in the black community.

My children are doing well, even being back in California. We were fortunate to return to an area where the schools are among the best in the state (again a mostly white area - if you haven't noticed that's where I'm most comfortable). Both my oldest son and daughter have been on the honor roll, my 8 year old son's test scored are in the advanced area for both math and language arts, and even my youngest son is doing well.

Oh, and I would like to add that I am an opposer of affirmmative action.

• agonus
    agonus

So darkside, I guess if I ask you for a piece of gum, you're not just gonna hand it to me. Guess I need to get my own damn gum...

Serenity, we may be getting dumber, but what you said just now didn't sound too dumb at all.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    Serenity, we may be getting dumber, but what you said just now didn't sound too dumb at all

Hehe, Agonus, I didn't say I was getting dumber; just almost everyone else.

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

So darkside, I guess if I ask you for a piece of gum, you're not just gonna hand it to me. Guess I need to get my own damn gum...

Jesus Christ, some of you people are dense.

Ask me for a piece of gum. I'd give it to you if I wanted. It would be my choice

If I did, that wouldn't change the fact that:

1. You asked for it

2. I gave it to you

3. It was mine to begin with

4. You didn't earn it

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Seems I missed the party again...the life of a busy mom...oh well, gonna run to parents' night at my oldest son's high school

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

ps mrsjones5. i am accessing this via my phone. i doesn't display pictures

Well you what they say about assuming...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit