One Reason Why I Speak About Racism

by snowbird 113 Replies latest jw experiences

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    After responding to 1,300 classified ads with dummy resumes, the authors found black-sounding names were 50 percent less likely to get a callback than white-sounding names with comparable resumes. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/09/29/national
    /main575685.shtml http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=black+names+for+job+search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

See, that is why I believe we do still need affirmative action. Today people with white skin still enjoy a huge unfair advantage over people with dark skin in tha labor market (and other places in society).

The best qualified person should be hired, but in the case of two equally qualified candidates we need to be working to offset the fact that people with black sounding names are 50% less likely to get a callback for a job than someone with white-sounding names. It is not fair that whites have an advantage due to their skin color, right now, in this country today.

Right now, a white felon has a better chance of being called back for a job interview than a black person with no criminal record. http://www.princeton.edu/~pager/race_at_work.pdf

We have a long way to go.

• agonus
    agonus

Interesting, Sylvia.

Just curious, and no offense intended, would you be more inclined to name your kid something actually authentically African like "Mbinti" rather than some fake "black-sounding" name like "LaShandra"? I think I would if I were black. You know it's funny but America just has a way of making people seem less genuine and sophisticated. Again, no offense intended, but as a typical Midwestern white guy, immigrant Africans (and I've known a few) tend to seem more charming, intelligent, and sophisticated to me than your typical African-American. Maybe it's a matter of perception, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't more impressed with European immigrants from Denmark, Germany, France, etc, than (I hate this phrase)... "my people"... by which I mean typical white Americans.

• agonus
    agonus

For example, I'd be much more inclined to listen to Stephen Fry yammer on about nothing in particular for an hour or so than listen to, say, Glenn Beck yammer on about nothing in particular for more than a few minutes...

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

agonus what kind of black people have you been dealing with?

Again, no offense intended, but as a typical Midwestern white guy, immigrant Africans (and I've known a few) tend to seem more charming, intelligent, and sophisticated to me than your typical African-American. Maybe it's a matter of perception, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't more impressed with European immigrants from Denmark, Germany, France, etc, than (I hate this phrase)... "my people"... by which I mean typical white Americans.

You seem more like you have a problem with regular americans. I didn't figure you for someone in love with foriegners. What is it about them that impresses you? Is it the accent?

• agonus
    agonus

I dunno Serenity. It's the whole "familiarity breeds contempt" thing, I guess. I've been around all kinds of people of various ethnicities and nationalities and I just feel like America has a way of dumbing people down. Not black people... all people. You commented earlier that people on the whole are getting dumber and I couldn't agree more, but this country, IMHO, seems to have perfected dumbing down to an art form. Or maybe it's just an overwhelming feeling of mediocrity... averageness... that so many people I know (regardless of color) just can't seem to shake. And yet at the same time, there are things about America I really do like. For example, I think Americans have produced more of the best filmmakers in the world... especially since the 70's... than any other country. Most of my favorite movies have been made by Americans. I guess I feel a lot like my favorite director, Stanley Kubrick, who had quite a struggle with feelings of both cynicism and optimism. He eventually moved to England because he preferred the culture but he still LOVED America... football, the Simpsons, etc. My family has said I'm something of "a man without a country"... I couldn't have put it better myself.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Good point on names being a hindrance. I've been personally avoiding this thread like the plague. I said I wasn't getting into spats regarding racial or political matters any more on here. But one thing I wanted to mention. In this country, patriotic types are always so quick to puff out their chests and say "we're Americans! We're free! It's better here than anywhere else!, etc.." I can agree and understand those sentiments, however the people making those comments often don't take into account all of their fellow Americans. Many in this country grow up on 3rd base, and when they reach home plate, they believe they worked just as hard as the guy born on 1st base. Certain pockets of this country are so systematically behind other pockets of this country, that if there are not programs such as Affirmative action, those very people become in essence a welfare population. A burden. That's not to say I completely agree with Affirmative Action, because I don't. It is reverse discrimination, but it has a purpose.

When my dad was my age, the only jobs available to him were maitenance jobs. He couldn't go in the same church as white people despite having the same faith, which is partly why he was attracted to JWs. Some of the stories he's told me throughout the years at times had my jaw on the floor. Other times I felt a boiling rage that people could be so cruel to someone over skin tone. Whats interesting to me though, is his generation was treated better than the generation before his parents, and especially that of his grandparents. By the way my dad is a Veteran, and he got pooped on far worst being a black man than the white soldiers coming from Vietnam got treated. Now here I am today. I'm doing ok in life, but I know for a fact had I been born in Suburbia, in a middle class background, I'd be a lot farther than where I am. In my high school, they told us we can be carpenters, plumbers, electricians, construction workers, etc.. Thats what they wanted us to aspire towards. I can only imagine what they told my pop's generation. After I graduated I went to a tech school for a trade. The class was held in a this huge high school out in suburbia. I saw what those kids were learning there and I was amazed. Everything from their computers, to their curiculum was completely different and advanced than what I was exposed to. Now that I'm older and can look back, I say for a fact, I got systematically screwed. Not to mention being a friggin JW doesn't help much when it comes to higher education. You multiply my experiences with others in this country from working class and poverty backgrounds. Particulary minorities. Its more difficult for them to compete with those born on 3rd base and white.

For the record though, I'm not whining at all. I'm very proud of being born and raised in the city, with a working class background. Proud of my black skin, and proud of white people too. I just believe personally, to say you agree or disagree with affirmative action is too simplistic. There's too much history, particulary negative history regarding race and class in this country. To this day, there are still too many in powerful places looking to maintain certain status quos.

• agonus
    agonus

What part of the States did you grow up in, Misery?

• agonus
    agonus

If you grew up in Missouri, I'd guess you'd be MissouriLovesElders ;)

• agonus
    agonus

I spent some of my childhood in Overland Park, KS, and believe you me, it was indeed near misery/missouri...

• agonus
    agonus

Speaking of African names, my new favorite is "Ponijao".

World's Cutest Baby... it's official. :)

Seriously, if any of you need a dose of what is actually RIGHT about humanity, rent this movie. If it doesn't leave you with a big grin on your face, well, you're an even crustier bastard than I am.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit