One Reason Why I Speak About Racism

by snowbird 113 Replies latest jw experiences

• dinah
    dinah

I think economics is a bigger factor than race.

More affluent areas have better school systems. They tend to create their own school systems and break away from any county system that is in place.

• carvin
    carvin

(((((Sylvia)))))

Love you lady

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

What if we were to stop worrying about "black rights" and "gay rights", and focus on INDIVIDUAL rights? Each one of us would be treated as an individual, not as a member of some group.

Individual rights, individual responsibilities. Sounds great

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

The responses to this thread make my head explode.

Good god.

Sylvia, you amaze me. You just have so much patience and calm...I wish I could carry myself with as much grace as you.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Sylvia, you amaze me. You just have so much patience and calm...I wish I could carry myself with as much grace as you.

I'm naturally calm and easygoing, but sometimes I just have to let fly!

Commentaries often mention the "timeless patience of the Black race," but I think that's a myth.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

I overlooked this in the furor of yesterday. Please forgive me, Burn.

The funny thing is, it seems to me that blacks walked out of school with a better education back then, despite the underfunding.
    Today, we are spending far more money, and we are turning out idiots...of all colors.
    Snow. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    BTS

You are absolutely correct.

We were taught; teachers accepted no excuses; they wrought miracles with what little was at their disposal.

Syl

• dinah
    dinah

Josie had an excellent point about parental involvement. If a parent cares about the grades their children bring home, encourage them, help them, the end result is much better. You'd be surprised how many parents don't even know which classes their children are taking, or bother to see if they have homework.

It doesn't cost much to teach reading comprehension or math for that matter. It DOES take a parent's time. Teacher's help teach our kids, but in the end it's the parent's responsibility to make sure the children take advantage of whatever is available and learn.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    We were taught; teachers accepted no excuses; they wrought miracles with what little was at their disposal.

DISCIPLINE.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

You're so right, Dinah.

In most of our cases, however, the parents themselves couldn't read or write.

Yet, they expected their children to excel.

Very few were disappointed.

However, what my link addressed was the disparity in funds allocated per pupil for Black and White children in Wilcox County Alabama, up to the 60's.

I knew such disparities existed, of course, but seeing it in black and white was chilling.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yes, Burn!

Discipline, respect, and appreciation - almost bordering on reverence - for our teachers.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit