One Reason Why I Speak About Racism

by snowbird 113 Replies latest jw experiences

• designs
    designs

After WWII Gen. McArthur set up a governmental system in Japan that leaned a little to the Left, he reasoned, after 800 years of Feudalism a little social democracy wouldn't hurt them.

Sometimes you have to push and pull people into doing the right thing. If it wasn't for Cesar Chavez and the Farm Workers Union my in-laws would still have their workers living in an unheated barn with no bathrooms.

• moshe
    moshe
    I was offered no funds from the United Negro College Fund since I am white.

as I mentioned a few pages back, I worked in a large factory that was about 70% black. One day I was approached in the cafeteria by a black woman who was soliciting donations for, uh, the United Negro College Fund. Excuse me, but I found that uncomfortable. Would not I be called racist, if I went around asking for donations to the Johnny Reb college fund? I guess from what I gathered in talking to other employees, was that a lot of whites did donate as they were afraid of being labled as unfriendly to black causes and the possible resultant stigma that could be stuck to you.

another story-

when the union (black majority officers) found out one day from the head of HR that several hundred new employees were going to be hired (head of HR was black), they went to black churches to get the word out that Chryser was accepting applications, before it became public knowledge. Only when all the new black hires started showing up did most of the whites learn of the job openings.

many years ago our former union secretary, who was black of course, ran for a township office and was elected - a few years later the black inner city elected her to be a US Congresswoman ( they ran a call bank at the union hall every two years to get out the vote for her)- she served for 11 years, until she died in office. The party appointed her grandson (who had never held an elected office) to replace her, his only job had been a Govt job.(did grandma help him?) He was relected in his own stead 9 months later. The black head of HR that I mentioned earlier, retired a couple years ago and was appointed by the new congressman to a cushy dept of labor job, Why? The story was that he provided jobs over the years for the congresswoman who wanted to help or return a favor for a black constituant. These jobs paid over $70,000 most years with overtime and you didn't even need a high school diploma to get hired.

These are just anecdotal experiences and in no way imply that this is defacto policy at a similar plant or business that has a majority of black workers.

• designs
    designs

The Cronyism Door swings in a lot of directions. A Letter or Donation from the right person can get you into Harvard. Every family at some time or other in their history has experienced some form a racial disparity. How did Africans and Native American Nations end up with Anglo-Saxon names. Even my ancestral name was changed at Ellis Island in 1848.

It stings a little when we are on the short end of the stick but issues are as old as race itself.

• moshe
    moshe
    The Cronyism Door swings in a lot of directions.

Blacks are really the same as whites when they are in power, that is what I have seen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit