One Reason Why I Speak About Racism

by snowbird 113 Replies latest jw experiences

• EnlightenedMind
    EnlightenedMind

Sylvia,

Some people are never going to "get it", for whatever reason, malignant or benign. I've found that it's a waste of time trying to convince them of anything, and you're definitely doing yourself a disservice if you let it consume you.

You seem like a nice person. Keep living, keep loving and let the rest slide off your back.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

I think a black man got Wing Commander's job.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    Today, we are spending far more money, and we are turning out idiots...of all colors.

People do seem to be getting dumber, don't they? I thought I was the only one who noticed that. Working in healthcare I see lots of examples of that.

WC you wrote something about the ACLU being a black organization. I never heard that before. Please clarify.

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

In this day and age - if you want to learn a skill, nothing can stop you. With free schools, free internet, Wikipedia, Google, and dozens of video tutorials and 'how to' sites.. Anything you want to learn you can learn.

It's just a matter of being determined, motivated, and doing the work.

Great post.

Accomplishment takes work. If you are given something, you haven't accomplished anything

• peacedog
    peacedog

Wing Commander, I couldn't agree more with your comments about affirmative action.

Affirmative action is something of a hot topic in Canada right now, as last month a woman here was told she couldn't apply for a job because her skin is white.

The federal government claims that Canada's affirmative action policy is now under review, but I'm not holding my breath for change.

Here's a link to the news story:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/07/22/affirmative-action-review.html

• peacedog
    peacedog

here's the news article:

Federal affirmative action policy faces review

The federal government has ordered a review of its affirmative action policy one day after a woman complained that she couldn't apply for a public service position because she's Caucasian.

Sara Landriault of Kemptville, Ont., told the media Wednesday that she applied online for an administrative assistant job with Citizenship and Immigration Canada, and was asked by the online application if she was white, aboriginal or a visible minority. When she answered white, she said a message informed her she did not meet the criteria and could no longer proceed.

Treasury Board President Stockwell Day said no Canadian should be barred from a federal job because of race or ethnicity.

"While we support diversity in the public service, we want to ensure that no Canadian is barred from opportunities in the public service based on race or ethnicity," Day said in a statement.

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney, who was also involved in the decision to review the government's hiring practices, which give priority to qualified applicants from minority groups, said everyone should be considered for federal jobs.

"We are in favour of appropriate diversity in the public service and reasonable efforts to achieve it, but we don't think any Canadians should be excluded from applying within their government," he told CBC News. "It's OK to encourage people from different backgrounds to apply but in our judgment it goes too far to tell people that if they are not of a particular race or ethnicity they cannot apply [for a job] that is actually funded by their tax dollars."

But he said the review wouldn't affect any particular cases, including Landriault's.

Landriault, who is the founder of the International Family Childcare Association and has a picture of herself with Prime Minister Stephen Harper on the association's website, said that no one from the government has contacted her since she went public with her story.

The government's latest figures show more women, aboriginal people and visible minorities worked in the public service in 2009 than the year before. The number of people with disabilities stayed the same in the same periods.

As of March 2009, women made up 54.7 per cent of the federal workforce, aboriginal people made up 4.5 per cent, people with disabilities made up 5.9 per cent and visible minorities made up 9.8 per cent.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky
    Accomplishment takes work. If you are given something, you haven't accomplished anything

That depends on what you're getting and what you were after.

• Quandry
    Quandry

african americans are justly angry about the treatment they have receieved.

In the past, Americans of color did receive unjust treatment. I am from the South, and I did not go to school with anyone other than whites until I was in high school.

However, now, all are afforded the same opportunity. People like Martin Luther King eloquently gave voice to the plight of children, and wanted all children to get the same education. That is why I find it hard to understand why today many young black people do not do everything they can to claim the rights that Dr. King and others strove for and that he ultimately gave his life for.

I work in an elementary school, so I know whereof I speak. We do so much to try to motivate these kids, but I don't understand why it's considered "cool" to be uneducated.

There is no longer a reason for anger....but there is every reason to get an education....knowledge is power.

• agonus
    agonus

I think many (not most) young black folks are too wrapped up in the whole ghetto-gangsta-bitches-ho's-drugs "culture" to give a damn about education. Sorry if I sound racist, but honestly, I sometimes have to wonder if the whole Thug Life nonsense is/was subliminally popularized by white folks who want to perpetuate the stereotype and KEEP them from acheiving what Martin and Malcolm were actually talking about.

• agonus
    agonus

No Serenity, you're not the only one who notices the stupidity. Us "non-ethnic" folks are not exempt from this. You guys have Snoop Dogg, we have Michael Moore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit