One Reason Why I Speak About Racism

by snowbird 113 Replies latest jw experiences

• journey-on
    journey-on
    It's a dismal report on the state of Black education in Wilcox County Alabama as reflected in funding and maintenance of schools for Black kids.

It's a dismal report on the state of the community. Education is funded by county and school taxes collected. There is no such thing as Black education.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Read the link, JO.

Proverbs 18:13, remember?

Syl

• will_the_apostate
    will_the_apostate

race is a volitile issue. african americans are justly angry about the treatment they have receieved. while people are generally annoyed because most of them are not racist and have had no part in the domination of a race of people. the point is whatever the culture or race there is generally a history of oppresion, man has dominated man for centuries. many of us here have not had an easy road and its belittleing to think that yours is harder just because of race.

ps mrsjones5. i am accessing this via my phone. i doesn't display pictures

• journey-on
    journey-on

Please post it here, snowbird. Let's all take a look at the points you want to make.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Honey child, it's 113 pages, 3549K!

http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED018874.pdf

Is the above link better?

Syl

• Terry
    Terry

While America was being built into an industrial nation with gigantic assets and vast opportunities, the groups who got here first and acquired footholds of power sought to protect their turf from any perceived encroachments.

The Chinese came to build the railroads and special laws were put on the books against pigtails and laundries aimed specifically at them.

The first actual laws against drugs was aimed at a prejudice against the Opium Dens where it was rumoured white women were being lured into White Slavery.

The Native Americans had been sucked into the Early settlers battles against England. The French and Indian war devasted relations between all parties. Indian children were removed from the "savages" in tribes and reared as good little Christians. The phrase "the only good Indian is a dead Indian" was quite often invoked. Manifest Destiny was declared as a God-Given right and imperative to remove the Indians from their land so that the Christians could develop it.

During World War II peaceful families and shopkeepers who were Japanese were ordered to sell everything they owned (business or home) and report for "relocation" in concentration camps here in the U.S. The reactionary fear that American born Japanese might secretly harbor loyalty to their own race trumped civil rights.

Englishmen hated the Irish who landed on boats arriving in New York harbor and tricked them into volunteering to fight in the Civil War (making all sorts of promises of benefit "later."

The point of all this?

PREJUDICE and RACISM is a HUMAN problem. It is not a WHITE problem and a BLACK problem.

The Jews and the Arabs have been at each other's throats for thousands of years.

To call RACISM a Black/White issue is to ignorantly overlook the nature of differences within the human psychology which cannot be overcome for many people no matter what progress is made otherwise.

We all need to find a better reaction to prejudice than merely getting exercised and pointing a finger. How about a rational approach for a change?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    How about a rational approach for a change?

Such as ... ?

Syl

• minimus
    minimus

Well said, Terry.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I just don't think race is an issue among young people anymore. In my own extended family, there are about 16 kids between the ages of 8 and 20. You never hear them say "he's black" or "that black kid". It is just not part of their mind frame anymore.

I think when the generation that experienced real prejudice dies off (sorry Snowbird), when affirmative action is a dead issue, when communities realize that depending on the government to do it all is a form of slavery in itself, these kinds of topics will seem silly.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

The NAACP doesn't want to hear about a "rational approach" to racism, as they're bent on having their radical approach, which in itself is overtly racist and separatist.

I think I made this point before, but I'll speak of it again. Look at how "Black-America" deliberately separates ITSELF from the rest of the USA by having their own awards show (Ebony Awards, BET Awards), their own cable network (BET, UPN possibly), their own political front (NAACP, ACLU), and the lists go on and on, up to and including "Affirmative Action", which is the biggest kick in the teeth to equallity that America has ever experienced.

You seperate yourselves, then bitch and moan about equality.

Nothing like having your cake, and eating it too!!

- Wing Commander

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit